MSNBC - HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: MSNBC - HD?

Has anyone heard anything more about Rogers adding MSNBC HD.  

Seems strange given how popular it is that this still hasn't been added.  I sent a note to the Management Office and got a discouraging reply. Basically they had nothing to say other than they track how many people ask for new channels.  No indication if this is even in the works. Suggest anyone who is interested to ask.  

I've Been Here Awhile

We've stayed tuned for over 7 months with no news. With things heating up for Trump World and Rachel Maddow doing such an engaging job reporting on related matters, it's an ideal time to upgrade this channel to HD.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's kind of hard to believe that they still even carry SD channels in 2018.  It is time to upgrade everything to HD, or skip HD and go right to 4K.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Wayner92, while I would normally agree with you to move everything to HD, That would be a great statement for someone to make who does not know about how a Cable TV company operates, but once you start to work behind the scenes in a Cable Company, you soon quickly realize you should not make such a statement.  A lot of customers still have set top boxes which are Standard Definition ONLY, meaning they CAN NOT even see an HD channel, so even if a Network Channel was made HD only, the network or even the cable company would have to down convert the signal and CREATE Standard Definition signal to broadcast it to their customers with a Legacy SD only Set Top Box., not to mention there are also contractual carriage agreements in place that can not be broken, and still some networks have not upgraded their facilities to HD yet.

Don't get me wrong, I am on your side and IN FAVOUR of having all channels broadcast in HD or Full HD, however in reality, we are still quite a while away from that happening. 

I personally like watching MicroSoft NBC (MSNBC) and am Sad that on Rogers Cable, it is only available in SD. I have seen it available on other providers such as Bell Satellite and Bell Fibe TV, so We know there is one less hurdle for it to happen on Rogers Cable.   Keep complaining to Rogers, if there is enough demand, they will make it happen, And when I say keep complaining, not on here, you actually must call them and complain to the call centre agent so they can add the request to the list of channels for future consideration.

I realize that converting all channels to HD would render all non-HD STBs obsolete, but does Rogers really still have a lot of those?  Could they not incent their customers to get rid of those - the advantage to Rogers is that they would be freeing up bandwidth by getting rid of dozens of SD channels.  Even if SD channels only take up about 1/6 the space of HD channels that would still be beneficial to Rogers.  All of the existing HD boxes, and I still have some very old SA3250HD boxes, can downconvert HD channels and output them on composite or s-video outputs.

However all of this discussion is moot if Rogers is moving everyone to IPTV over the next couple of years.  That would be the ideal time to get rid of SD channels as all existing set top boxes will be replaced and I am hoping that Rogers will not be providing SD-only IPTV boxes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it is anything like the competitors like Bell, The majority of their Set Top Boxes output to both HD and SD TV Sets, with the exception of the 4K Ultra HD model. Rogers should take notice of this, when the majority of customer equipment can receive HD signals, it will give them a great incentive to shut down the redundant SD feeds and make everything in HD only.

Given Rogers transition to IPTV in the near future I would think that it makes sense to only offer HD or 4K channels on IPTV.  The IPTV STB will presumably have a composite output for those that don't have HDTVs - but that number is dwindling.

I Plan to Stick Around

My only comment is that - there are requirements for "Basic cable"; CNN is one of those AFAIK and they have SD/HD.  MSNBC falls outside of that - and in fact under the right conditions requires the NEWS package.

But tat - FoxNews too is only SD (Not sure if Bell offers this in HD). CNBC is only SD (Bell offers this in SD only as well).

*WE* (most of the the collective) want parody with Bell Fibe offerings. No more no less. But it costs money and Rogers won't do it. I understand.

(Normally I don't care what shills say).

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User1410762 wrote:

My only comment is that - there are requirements for "Basic cable"; CNN is one of those AFAIK and they have SD/HD.  MSNBC falls outside of that - and in fact under the right conditions requires the NEWS package.

But tat - FoxNews too is only SD (Not sure if Bell offers this in HD). CNBC is only SD (Bell offers this in SD only as well).

*WE* (most of the the collective) want parody with Bell Fibe offerings. No more no less. But it costs money and Rogers won't do it. I understand.

(Normally I don't care what shills say).

CRTC is a Government agency and since our Federal and most Provincial governments are left wing, you will not find any non-left-wing news channels mandated as part of basic cable. That's why we have CNN on basic cable as the sole U.S. news source. It's why even with an extra cost news package, they'll only be in SD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted

@OLDYELLR - Your post is (1) factually incorrect, and (2) inappropriate political commentary for a forum discussing cable TV.