Looking for a simple replacement universal remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Looking for a simple replacement universal remote

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@myusername100You can find many "big button" remotes. The trick is being able to set them up to power on/off both the cable box and TV simultaneously.  Not big buttons, but Rogers has a simple one for the now discontinued DTA50 digital adapter.

I just picked up a new one from my Rogers store last week after one of the buttons wore out on mine.  As for keeping the power button function in sync on the cable box and TV, that's a problem with a lot of people, not only seniors and some don't even care and walk up to the TV and manually switch it. I always press the CBL function button first to ensure one of the other ones has not been pressed accidentally and then aim the remote for a couple of seconds while pressing the power button.

So close but not there.  The power button does not turn on my HD box.  Channel buttons work.  I can’t believe it doesn’t power on the set top box, it would have been perfect otherwise.

I Plan to Stick Around

Been away for few days but back with an update.  Still have not found an easy senior/accessibility remote.

In my previous post the digital adaptor remote was close but not quite.  The channel buttons work but it will not turn on my cable box.  Someone suggested I leave the cable box on 24x7,  that’s not going to happen with them.  Not going to have an electricity bill discussion with them, particularly in Ontario.  They unplugged the vcr when not in use,  it was a undertaken to get them to leave the cable box plugged in and even then they sometimes unplug it.

The previous big button remote suggestion is also out.  Reposting the link below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjq59yjkLfeAhUD61MKHaIyCmE...

I have to press the TV button “AND” the CBL button to turn everything on.  This means it does not meet my requirements.  It has to be simple and convenient.  ‘One’ press needs to turn on both the TV and cable box.  The current Rogers URC1056 remote does this, the digital adaptor remote does this, the replacement remote has to do this too.

And quite shout out to poster 57.  I appreciate the effort in suggesting the harmony remote but I can’t give them that, they’ll freak out.

I am quite disappointed I can’t find an easy accessibility remote.  But I do have a ‘hack’ that was suggested to me by a friend of a friend who works at Rogers. We’ll call it arts and crafts.  Mutilation would be more accurate but let’s go with arts and craft.  With the spare Rogers remote I took an exacto knife to the buttons giving problems.  Photo linked below.

mynewremote.jpg

I’ll give this a try, I’ll think it will work but will see in the coming weeks and months.

While I’m disappointed the other Rogers remote didn’t work out I will give them points for customer service.  They waived the previous $5 charge for purchasing remotes.  The store clerk just gave me the remotes which gave me the freedom to do my arts and craft experiment.  I still have my other intact remote to go through the guide or menu functions if I need to.

Still interested in a finding a remote with my wishlist above, so hopefully one day someone will post a suggestion.  Thank you all for helping out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. unfortunately to get one thing to work, tends to have to go the OTHER way in necessity.

With SOOO many TVs out there,  having a basic universal remote that works with ALL of them out there, is very difficult.   The only way around this.. is making a programmable one say from computer, etc, like the Harmony ones.
But they tend to get on the MORE buttons and features end, than less.

All the CNIB ones are pretty much for TV only... which doesnt help with no tuning being done via the TV anymore.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tell them there is no difference in the power used when the STB is on or off, which is true.  The box is always in standby unless unplugged. If they haven't been unplugging the box at this point, then there will be no difference in power used in the future.  They need to meet you half way.  Ease of use vs their paranoia regarding Hydro costs.

PS. The "modifications" to the 1056 remote will likely not preclude them from accidentally pressing those buttons, but at least if things don't work you can tell them to press the CBL button.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@myusername100 wrote:

So close but not there.  The power button does not turn on my HD box.  Channel buttons work.  I can’t believe it doesn’t power on the set top box, it would have been perfect otherwise.

Yes, the DTA50 remote is problematic. I have yet to be able to set one up with TVs I've had so it turns the TV on and off. The procedure involves holding the power button until it finds the right TV code and turns it off.  I've even held the power button depressed with vise grips for an hour and it never turned off. So I use two remotes. The TVs are a small Seiki and a Walmart "RCA".

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@myusername100 wrote:
Someone suggested I leave the cable box on 24x7,  that’s not going to happen with them.  Not going to have an electricity bill discussion with them, particularly in Ontario.  They unplugged the vcr when not in use,  it was a undertaken to get them to leave the cable box plugged in and even then they sometimes unplug it.

It's really unfortunate that the green zealots have suggested turning off, even unplugging stuff to save energy. The amount of hydro used on standby is not very significant.  As for a Harmony remote, I got a Harmony 350 after messing up the programming on the new Rogers Champion RF remote, but don't use it anymore because of the multitude of buttons with small labels and functions I can't remember.

Here's a suggestion.  A few years ago the remote on my Magnavox DVD-R failed and I found a replacement on line (Ebay or Amazon, can't remember).  It's called REDI REMOTE and has the basic buttons at the top and all the extra ones under a sliding cover below. This is a website describing these.

https://www.remotes.com/custom-built-replacement-remotes-s/1819.htm

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the sony universal remote I have is still up for grabs and works great with rogers cable set top boxes, its easy to use for senior citizens like my parents.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@myusername100 wrote:

Yes, the DTA50 remote is problematic. I have yet to be able to set one up with TVs I've had so it turns the TV on and off. The procedure involves holding the power button until it finds the right TV code and turns it off.  I've even held the power button depressed with vise grips for an hour and it never turned off. So I use two remotes. The TVs are a small Seiki and a Walmart "RCA".

THat reminds me @OLDYELLR, it was you with the Seiki.
Have you tried any RCA codes with your Seiki?

I have a Seiki that was included in our Trailer.  Forgot the remote one when we re-opened it in the spring.
I had an 19" RCA we got from a relative which i was putting up in the bedroom, and noticed the remotes looked IDENTICAL.  Pointed it at the Seiki, and it worked fine.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

THat reminds me @OLDYELLR, it was you with the Seiki.
Have you tried any RCA codes with your Seiki?

I have a Seiki that was included in our Trailer.  Forgot the remote one when we re-opened it in the spring.
I had an 19" RCA we got from a relative which i was putting up in the bedroom, and noticed the remotes looked IDENTICAL.  Pointed it at the Seiki, and it worked fine.

I'll give it a try,  It's been a few years and I'm used to using 2 remotes.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:

the sony universal remote I have is still up for grabs and works great with rogers cable set top boxes, its easy to use for senior citizens like my parents.  

If this was directed at me, then I appreciate the offer, but I'll try what I have for now.  Maybe some one else can take it off your hands.  I do have one question.  Do you know the model number?   Previously I did try a simple Sony 2 device remote but it did not meet my requirements.  ie.  I do not want to  press the TV button, then press POWER to turn on the TV, then press the cable button, followed by pressing the POWER button again to turn on the cable box and use that cable box. 

I only want to power on with a 'single' step.

Leaving the cable box is a different discussion and in that discussion I can use what I already have like the DTA50 remote.

Thanks

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation