Looking for a simple replacement universal remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Looking for a simple replacement universal remote

Hope I can get an answer here.  Like to get some suggestions for a simple remote.  I have elderly grandparents that grew up with a relatively simple analog crt tv.  Now they have a rogers cable box and a flat screen.  The supplied rogers remote does perform one decent function, pressing the power button ‘once’ simultaneously turn both the tv and cable box on.  But there are issues, if they were to accidently press the vcr button they are lost, if they press the menu button they can’t exit.  I know it literally says “press exit” on the screen but that eludes them.  It also doesn’t help that the exit button is a tiny little thing.

Is there a simple remote out there?

I have tried a couple remotes but they were not user friendly. By this I mean I had to press the TV button, then press POWER to turn on the TV, then press the cable button, followed by pressing the POWER button again to turn on the cable box and use the that cable box.  I had to return them which did not make me popular with the sales clerk.

Is there a remote that is the following:

-pressing the power button ‘once’ simultaneously turn both the tv and cable box on.

-channel buttons

-volume buttons

and that’s it. Don’t need any other function. Is there anything out there like that?  Or reasonable close?

Thank you

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Looking for a simple replacement universal remote

AFAIK there are no "simple" or "elderly/etc" remotes that work well.  What I recommend is that you properly set up a Harmony remote for them.  It will turn devices on/off, change volume, put each device on the proper input, etc.

If something goes wrong you press the "help" key and it fixes things right away by sending commands that it thinks you need, or walks you through the fix depending on what went wrong.

The model 650 or similar can usually be found on sale for around $50.  Watch for Black Friday or Boxing Week sales.

This suggestion goes for anyone who's not happy with what their remote is capable of.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@myusername100

Here is a suggestion to look at - have a similiar one used by my in laws from Bell.

Go to this link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjq59yjkLfeAhUD61MKHaIyCmE...

You will find the Rogers Accessible Big Button remote.

Your desire -

-pressing the power button ‘once’ simultaneously turn both the tv and cable box on.

-channel buttons

-volume buttons

It has that - you will see in the diagram of the remote at the post -

At the top is power on for cable and tv - don't know if you can combine them, but would be straight forward - turn on cable, turn on tv, set volume.

There is a setup button which also turns on a backlight on and off - although it may do setup things too.

Next is the guide section - ignore - you could even tape these off if you desired and don't want - my in laws don't use any features, they don't pvr, they don't use guide, they just channel surf as they always did, and the old remote drove them nuts.

and at bottom is the number for channels.

It is free, just call in to number at bottom of my rogers or call rogers and ask for accessability team - you can chat too.

No money, pretty easy and free - and may meet your needs.

Bruce

Next section of remote is the PVR - just ignore it - middle section is standard channels up/down, and volumne up down.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the tip Bruce.  Not quite what I'm looking for but you had good suggestions.  And you say its free so I'll call or stop by the rogers store to give it a try.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Note that they can still hit the TV button and they will then be lost and channels won't change on the STB  (much like your VCR scenario).  They can also point it at the devices for not quite long enough and turn on the TV and not the STB or vice versa.  There is then no clear indication of how to get out of those situations while the Harmony will get you out.

The Harmony also has a "start over". By pressing the "off" button, it'll turn everything off and you get a "fresh start", so you can then press the "Watch TV" button and everything will be OK again.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@myusername100You can find many "big button" remotes. The trick is being able to set them up to power on/off both the cable box and TV simultaneously.  Not big buttons, but Rogers has a simple one for the now discontinued DTA50 digital adapter.

I just picked up a new one from my Rogers store last week after one of the buttons wore out on mine.  As for keeping the power button function in sync on the cable box and TV, that's a problem with a lot of people, not only seniors and some don't even care and walk up to the TV and manually switch it. I always press the CBL function button first to ensure one of the other ones has not been pressed accidentally and then aim the remote for a couple of seconds while pressing the power button.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have a suggestion but I hope you find something that works for your grandparents.  After Videotron forced my elderly mother-in-law to go digital she could no longer operate her tv.  It was frustrating for us and upsetting for her.   It's a very real problem. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One way to prevent the STB from being out of sync with the TV is to leave the STB on full time. I did this a fair bit for people during my home theatre optimization travels when programming their remotes.  For regular (non-PVR) boxes this only uses 1 Watt additional power since the box is actually on standby, not off.

The only time this doesn't work is during a power failure, after which you'll have to walk up to the box and turn it on.  It is true that technology can be frustrating for seniors, and for many other people, however, if you stop learning you might as well be.... 

My father used a PVR and TV until he died when he was almost 99.  If it's important enough, they will learn the one or two things to do in certain circumstances.   Age should not be a factor - it's mindset.

One option is to write down instructions when certain things happen, or get a Harmony.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

years ago i picked up this sony universal remote for my parents, it worked great and worked not only with their tv but with their rogers cable box too. but eventually my dad got used to the rogers remote so he put it somewhere in the drawer and forgot about it. if your in the gta you can gladly take it off me, i do not need it, its still fairly new condition

I'm a Senior Advisor

One last suggestion - I ran into this one on CNIB and it is recommended specifically in the US as a simple alternative for Alzheimers, vision, learning, desiring a simple solution that is almost break proof -  The one I do see is the old age problem of having one device turn off while the other did not pick up the signal.

It is called Flipper - here is a link to a U-tube on how to set it up.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6HFYdyceE

Once set up, you now have a 2 device single on off, channel change from the cable box, and volume control - that is all the user sees once it is set up probably by you. You can choose to have up to 25 favourites set for channel choice, or it appears that if you leave the numeric keyboard showing, you can choose channels, but all set up buttons can be locked out to prevent.

I think your parents are like me, the less buttons you have to see and deal with, the less confusing.  I relate totally.

Search google for big button remote controls - there are a wide range of them, many with only 4 controls only.

Good luck in your search - I can relate to what your paretns are going through - I am a person with 4 university degrees and was a computer tech, and to be honest, I have never been able to figure out tv remotes - don't ask me why, I just have always struggled.  I now have mental illness that impacts my willingness to change, desire to keep it very simple and interferes with learning.  As 57 said, a state of mind, but for some of us, that state of mind is directly impacted by Age, and our desired lifestyles, as well for some it is an accessability issue. 

Each person has what works for them.

By the way, I do have a DTA-50 control as mentioned in one of the other posts - I tried it on my main tv and box - it doesn't turn off the cable box, but that is ok, just means it sits there in the on position. It turns the TV off when I programmed it for the TV, controlled volume on the TV (I think it may be able to be set to control the box, but don't quote me on that, and it controlled the channels on the box.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 in conversation