Lobby Watch Channel 998 (59)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wrightross
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lobby Watch Channel 998 (59)

I just noticed on my other TV that has the digital mini box given free,has video that makes the picture break up and pixalate on CH59,when switching from camera to camera view.The video drops for a moment,and the box reports an error for a moment,then the next camera comes into view. I suspect something in our system is doing this.So now as I was reporting in my last message about poor video,this glitch here may lead to the real problem.Before installing the minibox,the video did not break up on this analog channel 59.

Ch.998 is ok.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am guessing its something with the analog to digital conversion which is causing it.

With it straight into the TV, as analog.. likely its an analog camera.. was probably fine.

Now with it having to do the digital conversion.. might be having that issue.

wrightross
I Plan to Stick Around

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

all lobby camera channels will be strictly digital only in the future, no point watching the analogue feed as analog cable as well as analog camera feeds are being discontinued permanently, that means forever.

GRtechJason
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

You can't receive a signal stream from your building over the Internet. Unless your the superintendent of the building and the company gives you that access if it's setup to be viewable over the net
GRtechJason
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Can't happen, best bet is to get digital boxes all in your house, so nothing is using analog spectrum, and run separate lines to tvs you want to view cameras on. Or better yet forget about signal modulation just use a/v cable or connectors for a/v
remm672
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in a condo. In early April my yearly promotion was over and I had to hand back my HD 4520 box and was told by Rogers rep in Retentions  that the only HD box I could get was 4642 HD. ( did not want PVR).  I wanted to keep the 4520 but they said it was not being offered any more. I think it was a better HD box and wish I still had it.

I got the lobby channel for a few weeks after I had the 4642 then couldn't get the lobby channel any more. it was just a black screen with information at the bottom like the channel number, day of the week, then black screen which stayed black. I phoned Rogers and they sent a tech but there was somewhat of a language barrier. I had to repeat some words. The TV channels were ok/ He said he would check the problem. 2 or 3 days later, the lobby camera worked again, but after a couple of weeks, it went off again. It was sometine in May he came I think, though not sure of dates. Since then the lobby channel has been only working off and on.

Sometime in June, after 10 days of lobby channel not working, I phoned Rogers again and they sent another tech, also with language problem, and he put a splitter between the back of the HD box and the wall where signal comes into my place. There is another splitter comes into my place from outside but I don't know a lot about splitters.The splitter he put on  got my lobby channel working again. BUT after 3 or 4 weeks, I had the same problem again of black screen on 988. It used to be 998 but is now 988 which I had been using before the second tech came about my lobby camera problem.

Also in April a week or two after I got the 4642, I phoned Rogers about an issue I had with the 4642,  and they sent a tech who he had the same language problem as the other 2 techs who came in May and June.

So now the lobby camera has not been working for at least 10 days and I am very hesitant to phone Rogers as I don't want any of those 3 techs to come back to my place again. I am not sure if they were not experienced enough about lobby cameras but I was not satisfied with the way things went with them. I am not confident that they were able to fix the lobby camera problem, or knew a lot about it. Or maybe It could be the 4642 caused the lobby camera problem. I don't want to take the 4642 back for now. I am not a young person and can't wait at the Rogers store for a long period of time like you often have to wait.

I really need to get my lobby camera picture on my TV. Rogers services the lobby channel in my building, so I can't ask anybody but Rogers. When I had the 4250 HD box, which Ihad for 3 or 4 years, I never had to phone Rogers to get the lobby camera on my TV or anything else. I've been withi Rogers for 25 years. the only time it didn't work was when nobody elses in the building was working either.

Who can I talk to at Rogers who can help me to get a tech. who is familiar wiith lobby cameras?. I really need to have my lobby camera working so I can see who is phoning my apt. Its a security feature. I really miss it and would like it to be fixed for once and for all soon. something must be wrong which makes it break down all the time.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The loby camera.. is run/operated by the apartment owner.. not by anyone else.
Rogers just (or should) provide access to be able to VIEW it.

Now.. my thoughts come to this.

You might have to ask someone in charge at the apartment, etc.  

Is the camera ANALOG or DIGITAL.

My thought it, that if the camera there is still analog, that is why the digital box may have having issues still.

Now, is the other splitter he put in.. going into the TV itself as well? (out of wall, to splitter, then one into the rogers box, one into the TV itself?)
This is one thing that many people have done to sort of get around this.
They use the rogers box for normal TV watching, etv.  But when they want to switch to the loby channel, then they switch the INPUTS on the TV, from the input that the rogers is on, to the regular old TV input on the TV, that is left on the lobby channel.

remm672
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

The loby camera.. is run/operated by the apartment owner.. not by anyone else. Rogers just (or should) provide access to be able to VIEW it.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, the condo owner is the only one who can access the lobby channel on their TV but I can't get it on my TV and its up to Rogers to provide access to me so that I can VIEW it. I have lived in my condo for 15 years and never had a problem accessing the lobby channel. I have only had a problem accessing the lobby when everyone in the building has had the same problem as me. In other words it was not just me, it was everybody. this time its just me and maybe some others but I wouldnt know about the others.

Now.. my thoughts come to this.

You might have to ask someone in charge at the apartment, etc.  
Is the camera ANALOG or DIGITAL.

A couple of weeks ago, I happened to run into the the Office Manager and mentioned my problem with the lobby channel not being available for the past 10 days to 2 weeks and on previous occasions.He indicated no problems he knows of. Butthe thing is, he wouldn't know a lot of times because he is not at the building every day.The office assistant usually looks after complaints about the lobby camera and other complaints from condo owners. I didn't ask if it was analog or digital as he already made it clear it's up to Rogers if the lobby camera doesn't work as they are advised about it not working and come and fix the problem so the condo owner can get the lobby camera on their TV.. 

t asked him if other people are having a problem with the lobby channel at the moment and at other times in the past few months he indicated he didn't think so. Normally when no one in the building can get the lobby channel after its noticed a couple of days, the managers assistant phones Rogers and they come and fix it..I asked the manager if problems with thelobby camera have anything to do with his office, and he again said  its up to Rogers to fix the lobby camera as they own all the cable equipment inside and outside our condo building.

My thought it, that if the camera there is still analog, that is why the digital box may have having issues still.

Thinking about this today, I am pretty sure the camera is digital.  I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that I've been in the building for 18 years and the lobby channel was here when I moved in and was on channel 59 which was analog, long before digital, and it stayed on channel 59 for years, then the lobby channel had to be accessed on channel 998 a few years ago, not exaclty sure when. But it was probably changed to digital in the last year or so because I found the lobby channel was on 988 which I believe is digital. So I used 988 and lobby picture was fine. Also, the last technician who came in May or June, emphasized to me that the channel to access the lobby was 988 and I said yes, I noticed its been 988 for a time now. I also read that 988 is the new lobby channel numberfor digital and 998 we used to have was analog. There are several numbers around 988 that are testers. That being the case, it seems to me I shouldn't have any problem accessing thelobby channel. I was in the elevator the other day and talked to a couple of women I know who live in the building and asked them do they have problem getting the lobby channel  or are things the same as they alwlays were, and they said they get the lobby channel ok. I asked do you press 988 to get the channel and they  said yes. A month ago when I had a problem with no lobby pictture, I knocked at the door of a neighbour and asked if he could check his lobby channel and he got the picture ok. I looked at the back of his tv and there was no splitter and this was after the one tech. put a splitter on my HD box. 

Now, is the other splitter he put in.. going into the TV itself as well? (out of wall, to splitter, then one into the rogers box, one into the TV itself?)

The splitter doeso not go into the TV. (out of wall to splitter, then one to Antenna IN on HD box 4642. Only these two cables are on the splitter..

This is one thing that many people have done to sort of get around this. They use the rogers box for normal TV watching, etv.  But when they want to switch to the loby channel, then they switch the INPUTS on the TV, from the input that the rogers is on, to the regular old TV input on the TV, that is left on the lobby channel.

What puzzles me is no one else I've talked to in the building has to get the lobby channel in any roundabout way soI shouldn't either. They just press 988 on the TV and the lobby channel picture appears as it always has and they don't need splitters. It also makes me wonder why I had no problem getting channel 988 lobby camera for several weeks after I got the 4642 HD box. I didn't need a splitter and also worked in between times in the last 3 months when I just pressed 988 with no splitter and also had  no problem for  few weeks after the Rogers tech put the splitter on, so why would I get the lobby channels at those times (including times before he put the splitter there) and why does the splitter not work now when it did before when I pressed 988?  My own guess, and its just a guess for I am no expert at lobby cameras, but I wonder if

there is a problem somewhere in the Rogers cable boxes at the back of the building where some or maybe all cables for the building are kept.In the past with occasional TV issues the technician has said he had to check the outside cables whatever that meant..It is possible something is wrong somewhere along the line.

Just a comment - I know what Inputs are on the TV, but have no idea about a Rogers Input there is.

Thanks for your help. By the way, when I pressed "Post" at the bottom of this message, I got an error message saying "Authentication failed -ticket mismatched - return to my original page - and when I do that, My entire message I took a while to think as I typed was gone. same thing happened last night. I will try again to post it now. why did that happen?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ahh, I think the technician put the splitter into the input of the NetBox because maybe the incoming signal was too strong? sometimes even too strong of a signal can cause problems.

The signal of the lobby camera is injected into the incoming cable for your hole apartment building and its suppost to be tuned to match the signals of the incoming rogers signal strength, perhaps if there is an imbalance of signals, you will have problems viewing some channels, and that's might be happening to you.

also gdkitty is correct, over the last 2 years now rogers has been changing the lobby camera to a digital signal, because all the new STB's from rogers, ie Net Box, PBR, etc. all have digital only tuners in it, where as the older boxes had combo analog/digital tuners, so the lowest common denominator is digital, so that means all the boxes will be able to view the lobby camera, but the lobby camera must be outputting a digital QAM signal at the right channel and right signal level for this to work. and only the building electricians/contractors and engineers can fix this, rogers has no authority of attempting to fix a buildings camera equiptment even if they know the problem. hope this helps