Lobby Watch Channel 998 (59)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lobby Watch Channel 998 (59)

Pauly wrote: ahh, I think the technician put the splitter into the input of the NetBox because maybe the incoming signal was too strong? sometimes even too strong of a signal can cause problems.

That doesn't appear to be the problem, but I think I may have found the problem

when checking and thinking about a few things. The day before yesterday GdKitty

suggested a workaround for me to try to get the lobby channel to

work.I did that.I din't know you couldput a lobby channel inINPUTS settings on the

TV. I typed 988 (the digital channel number for lobby channel and I was able to get

the lobby channel.But after half an hour or so,I couldn't get it again. I tried an

experiment I thought about but never tried. 

After the "workaround" GDKitty mentioned I pulled out the TV stand from the wall

and tightened the connector from the splitter to the HD box, I  got the lobby

channel again. Then I deleted the lobby channel from Inputs, and was still able to

get the lobby channel which led me to believe the problem may be the connector or

part of the cable. Then I took the connector out of the splitter and plugged it

directly into the HD box and tightened the connector and got the lobby channel OK.

I loosened the cable connector a little more from the back of HD box and pulled the

connector out a little, and tv and lobby worked ok. I loosened it out a little more

and and tv worked OK  but not the lobby channel. I also noticed when the

connector sometimes didn't stay tight but became looser after a time and the nut

part would spin back a little and it wasn't as tight but it looked ok so was hard

to notice that it could be a problem.

Also,I thought if the Tv channels were ok and

the lobby wasnt, that must mean it was the lobby camera was not working. I didn't

realize that all the TV channels could work OK, but not the lobby. But if I

tightened the connector, both tv and lobby worked. I am not sure why the last tech.

who came and put the splitter in did not notice that the connector which is on the

wall coaxial cable can become loose and has to be checked to make sure its very

tight. Acutally, the splitter is not needed. I don't have it installed and get both TV and

lobby picture fine.The connector may need to be replaced..

I don'tthink I would have thought of some things

if GDKitty hadn't suggested the workaround. Her suggestion wasn't the solution but

it led me to the solution. (at least I think its the solution). I will soon find out as time goes by.

Thank you GdKitty for your input and suggestions. For the past couple of days, so far at least

I get the lobby channel fine and I am happy to have it back. Thank you also for your input Pauly.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good to hear.. let us know if its working in the long run or not.

Sometimes.. its the simplest things.. over time, or just from moving stuff.. things can get loose.. and even just the tightening of a cable (or replacing a cable) can fix the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Good to hear.. let us know if its working in the long run or not.

Sometimes.. its the simplest things.. over time, or just from moving stuff.. things can get loose.. and even just the tightening of a cable (or replacing a cable) can fix the issue.

So true Gdkitty - Moving the TV stand to clean behind it could cause a cable connector to get loose through time. In my case the connector on the cable from the wall had to be tighetened a few times in last few months. It is not always easy to notice. It seems to me the threads inside the connector on the cable have become worn. My building is pretty old and I've been in my condo for quite a few years, and Rogers first put cables in the building many years ago -maybe the connector from the cable in the wall has never been replaced. In cases when the connector thread is worn on one of the cables, does Rogers come and replace it for you?   So far, my lobby channel is still working fine. I am glad I persevered and found the problem or I don't know when it would have been found. Thanks.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I always use a 7/16" wrench to snug up the connectors. It's just not possible to finger tighten them reliably. I notice on the connecting cable Rogers supplies with the DTA50, there is a larger plastic nut over the connector to get a better grip.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

USUALLY, anything within the walls, either a house or apartment.. is the OWNERS responsibility to change.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

To augment what Gdkitty said, Rogers does not install anything inside walls, only easily accessible drop ceilings or staple cables to baseboards, never through walls. Anything in walls would have been put in by the owner or a contractor when the place was built.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I always use a 7/16" wrench to snug up the connectors. It's just not possible to finger tighten them reliably. I notice on the connecting cable Rogers supplies with the DTA50, there is a larger plastic nut over the connector to get a better grip.

That is a good idea to have a larger nut over the connector to get a better grip to make the connector tighter..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

USUALLY, anything within the walls, either a house or apartment.. is the OWNERS responsibility to change.

So even if the cable and connectors are installed in the owners house or apartment by Rogers, Rogers does not maintain the cables/connectors after the original installation?  So in the case of a future worn out cable or connector to the cable at a future time, a Rogers customer would have to either repair  or replace the connector and maybe part of the cable themselves or hire a TV repair company?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

To augment what Gdkitty said, Rogers does not install anything inside walls, only easily accessible drop ceilings or staple cables to baseboards, never through walls. Anything in walls would have been put in by the owner or a contractor when the place was built.

When I got Internet with Rogers about 7 or 8 years ago, a technician came to my high rise condo and brought cables with him and connected the cable to the cable which comes into my condo from the outside and put the cable through to the bedroom to hook up the to the computer in the bedroom. Or maybe the connection came to the bedroom from a splitter on the TV cable which is connected to the outside but its inside.?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If they ran stuff outside it might be different.

But generally, yes... The lines within the walls within the house or apartment.. which were put there by the builders, etc.. yes are not rogers responsibilities.. they are not the ones who put them there. 
They wont replace them.. as they are not insurance covered, etc to be able to pull the stuff through the walls, etc.

IF the lines through the walls, are not good enough.. one would have to get a 3rd party company and pay them to replace them.