LG OLED TV and NextBox 3 communications

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

LG OLED TV and NextBox 3 communications

Hi all,

This may sound like a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to , but is there some way to have a Smart TV scan for channels when it is not using it's own tuner but relying on the STB, in this case a NextBox 3?

I just bought a new LG OLED TV with WebOS3+ and it has some neat features that depend on it being able to recognize channels. But any channel scan (auto or manual), shows no Channels found since of course the NextBox is the one who is tuning in and the TV is merely attached via HDMI cable to the NB3. 

Is there any way to have the TV see the cable channels in any sort of channel scan? Obviously, I don't want to plug the cable into the TV directly to get "live TV" and lose all my cable channels but it is frustrating that the TV on its own can't see a single one of them. I'm guessing the answer is no, but no harm in asking right 🙂

*** Edited Labels ***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: LG OLED TV and NextBox 3 communications

@DrMike wrote:

Is there any way to have the TV see the cable channels in any sort of channel scan?

As you suspected, the answer is no.  If you connected the cable directly to the TV and did a scan for cable channels, it may pick up several (digital) channels that are on free preview and one old analogue channel that Rogers uses to test the signal. Nothing more.