Issues with Nextbox 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Issues with Nextbox 3

I tried disconnecting the external HDD and watching tv for a week and the same thing happened.  In fact it seemed to get worse.  I ran a signal diagnostic (as per a thread here) and the values it showed were well within the acceptable range.  I figured it might be an internal hard drive issue because of the fact that the PVR is "always recording" even on live tv so that you can rewind and stuff.  I guess I can try resetting to factory setting and the only downside would be the loss of all recorded programming?

Thanks for you reply

Rob

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Archie_rob wrote:

I figured it might be an internal hard drive issue because of the fact that the PVR is "always recording" even on live tv so that you can rewind and stuff.

No.  Although the PVR is always recording, you don't actually see that recording unless you invoke "pause live TV".  If you're not watching the recording, the signal comes directly from the head end and doesn't go" via" the HDD.  You can see this by hitting pause live TV on a channel like CP24 and the recording will be a few seconds "behind" the live TV signal. You can also  then press the "Live TV" button and get back to live which will be a few seconds "ahead" of the recording.

The HDD is not "in play" on live programming.

I've Been Here Awhile

This is the same issue that I experience.

I contacted Rogers this morning and was told that my only option was to replace the box with a rental unit (I had no idea I was on a rent to own!).  My box reboots randomly; freezes on live tv; chunks of recordings are missing (even though there was nothing wrong with the live viewing); I get a lot of pixelation; and generally just not too happy with the current quality of anything through the box.

If it was just recordings that were affected, I would assume an issue with the HDD, however, with the pausing during live tv, I expect that it is a much bigger issue and Rogers won't address or admit it.  It make cutting the cable more an more appealing to me.

Hello @cocodelite2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

Trying to enjoy your cable service when you are facing all of these issues is no easy task! I know how annoying it is to have the box reboot itself and miss parts of your recordings or freeze up during a favourite program.

From the sounds of it, there could be a signal issue on your line or in the area but we'll need to run some additional tests and review the notes on file to see what has been done thus far to try to remedy this. Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your info and get started.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please check out our BLOG.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

My signal was tested last evening and was reported as 'perfect'.  Since it happens so randomly, and is gone before I can get someone on the phone, I don't know how you would continue to test.  There is no pixelation before the pause happens.  Pixelation happens randomly as well.