Issues with Nextbox 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Issues with Nextbox 3

For some time I've been having issues watching TV through a NextBox 3 (9865). These would include freezing of the TV for between 30 seconds and two minutes during which time the NextBox would not respond to any button presses; recorded shows not recording fully; the search function in the Guide "hanging"; and gigantic bands of white noise on the TV.

The final issue of white noise I got over by switching from HDMI to component connection to the TV.

I did have a support chat on the 26th of November where I was told to try a factory reset, and that signals were ok.

As of now, I can see the box is ON and the signals look good on the ch. 42. 

Followed by

As of now I am pushing a boost signal to the box which takes around 30 minutes to do its updates. After that wait for few hours and see if that fixes the issue. If it still doesn’t work then my advice is to replace the box.

Yesterday while attempting to view On Demand I was told that the catalogs were invalid so decided to try a reboot.

Since then the box does not boot; either staying for a long time with the boot message on the front display followed by eventually all the lights going out, or gets to the 04 stage on the boot at which point it hangs. Once it did fully complete the load only to reboot itself again while I was watching |TV.

This is akk made more complex by the fact that I'm currently in a cast and am not meant to walk, and my wifedoes not drive Smiley Sad

I'm in Scarborough

***Edited Labels***

Re: Issues with Nextbox 3

Hello @PeterT,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

I appreciate the details you've provided. What you're describing is definitely cumbersome, I know you've already spoken to tech support but I would recommend you to reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can take a deeper look into this for you. If required, we may be able to schedule a tech visit as well.

For instructions on how to contact us via private message please click here.

RogersZia

I'm Here A Lot

OK. PM sent which includes a transcript of the previous support call
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PeterT : This is very likely a signal issue at your home or neighbourhood, especially after the symptoms you described, including ROD issues.  Here's a post on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

Signal issues are the cause of the majority of problems reported on this forum (regarding TV, Internet).  I hope that the Community Helps people find your problem, which may require a visit to your home or neighbourhood.  I realize you stated that the signal was fine, but it may require a second look by someone more experienced.

I'm Here A Lot

I *think* it's now safe to assume the drive has died. Came home this evening after being with friends this afternoon to find the unit finally rebooted after sitting for a long time with a blank display following the boot display and I think the last status code of 02.

No sign of any recordings, plus when I try to schedule a recording the display reads hder

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PeterT wrote: ...display reads hder

Just to be sure, check the signal again per my previous link.  Is the signal good?  Try various channels and different times of the day?  Try another reboot if the signal is good, or call Rogers if it's marginal.  Rogers can check the signal remotely at your location and in your neighbourhood.  If you still get HDer, then you're probably right and it is the iHDD that has failed.

The Internal Hard Disk Drive will usually give a bit of warning by making more noise, like a clicking sound when it's starting to fail.  Since you were getting the other issues, the signal may still be at fault since those other issues, like no ROD, not getting certain channels, etc, are signal related and a box, even without the iHDD would still work to tune channels or access On-Demand.  Good Luck

I'm Here A Lot

I would if i could. Looks as if it rebooted again overnight and is now back to being stuck at code 04.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Can you still check the signal while it's "stuck"?  I can't remember if that's possible.

Signal Strength/Diagnostics:

Using the remote:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information:

Signal should be between -10 and +10 with optimum being around zero. S/N ratio should be above 35.

2. Since it seems reluctant to boot, I still suspect a signal issue. A bad drive wouldn't normally cause rebooting issues, you just wouldn't be able to record or watch recordings, etc.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi guys,

so my apartment  has a Nextbox 3.0 PVR in it (it is bought outright).  In the past few months it has been acting up feezing fo sometimes up to 90 seconds.  This happens on live tv.  As well some of the recordings either are very choppy or don't fully record.  There is also an external harddrive attached (everytime I turn on the box it asks me if I want to reformat the harddrive).  I'm guess this is a hard drive issue as I checked the signal strength and it looks good.  Is there anything I can do myself (already tried hard reboots), to try an stop the freezing problem?  This morning in the 15 minutes I watched sportsnet it froze 4 times (5 sec to 50 sec).  

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Archie_rob : Have you tried rebooting with the eHDD disconnected?  Have you tried operating the PVR with the eHDD disconnected, just as a test?  If you're sure the signal is fine, you should be able to isolate if the problem is the eHDD (try viewing programming from it when connected), or the iHDD (try viewing programming from it when the eHDD is disconnected.)

Once you know the drive with the problem, it should be easy to replace. The eHDD should be very easy and the iHDD can be replaced per the following thread instructions:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-98...

You say, however, that it happens on live TV. If that's the case, the HDDs are not even in play, so it must be signal.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...