Issues with 8642 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with 8642 PVR

Thanks.  However, my rent-to-own is more than a year now.  Don't even know if you can still buy these boxes.  BB used to sell them but I don't see them there anymore.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @James_Greene

You will find them on kijiji or other buy and sale pages on facebook. Best Buy pulled out from selling Rogers cable after Future shop closed. The contract ended. They were supposed to bring them back but haven't yet.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @James_Greene

You will find them on kijiji or other buy and sale pages on facebook. Best Buy pulled out from selling Rogers cable after Future shop closed. The contract ended. They were supposed to bring them back but haven't yet.

Thanks...good to know.  What can I do with Rogers if I don't want to buy another box.  Will I have to go with another rental term?  I'm guessing Rogers does not sell these boxes?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @James_Greene

To be honest it's like a middle in a haystack to find this box. Most Rogers stores only carry the Nextbox 3.0 and the 4K pvr.

You can buy one of those boxes outright from Rogers. However if you want the same box as u have now then it's best to look on kijiji and buy one from there. Make sure that the serial number has been removed from that person's account before u get it . You can also check at the stores however it's hard to find it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @James_Greene

To be honest it's like a middle in a haystack to find this box. Most Rogers stores only carry the Nextbox 3.0 and the 4K pvr.

You can buy one of those boxes outright from Rogers. However if you want the same box as u have now then it's best to look on kijiji and buy one from there. Make sure that the serial number has been removed from that person's account before u get it . You can also check at the stores however it's hard to find it.

Thanks again.  I guess the decision now is to buy or rent.  Any way you would lean towards?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @James_Greene

I would rent. As long as u rent the box, it has the warranty. If u buy it I believe u only get 1-2 yrs warranty max. Plus u can't exchange it for another one like u can with a rental unit.

I have 2 rental 4K pvr boxes which I will be sending back when the IPTV comes out next year.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @James_Greene

I would rent. As long as u rent the box, it has the warranty. If u buy it I believe u only get 1-2 yrs warranty max. Plus u can't exchange it for another one like u can with a rental unit.

I have 2 rental 4K pvr boxes which I will be sending back when the IPTV comes out next year.

Thanks...will look into the rental costs for the boxes.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @James_Greene

Always call in and speak to retentions or a manager and see if they can do anything about the pricing!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Each person needs to make their own decisions regarding rent vs. buy.  If you take care of your stuff and are planning to be with a provider with your equipment for more than 2 years, buying will save you money in the long run.  I have saved thousands of $ by purchasing my equipment over the many years I've had PVRs/STBs.  The vast majority of my purchases have gone well beyond the "break even" point where the rental costs are equal to the original purchase price. Also, you need to remember that it's possible to get some money back by selling the equipment used.  Even a broken HD PVR can fetch money used. 

For an extreme example I've had my SA8300HD for over 13 years and had an iHDD replaced twice for a total cost of around $800. The rental costs over this time would have been over $3000!  I purchased a used 9865 for $200 which is operating fine.  I purchased a new 9865 over 4 years ago for less than $500 (rental costs would have been over $1000 by now). Set top boxes rarely fail since there are no moving parts.

Of course, at this point in time it may be worth renting with IPTV in the offing for next year.  Also, if you're the type of person who switches providers often, renting may make sense.

People often think an issue is with the box when in actuality it's the signal coming to their home or neighbourhood...  It's quite rare that the box is the problem.

See:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the additional info...more options to think about.