Issues with 8642 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Issues with 8642 PVR

I had the whpvr setup this past Sunday. With the 8642 we have been experiencing a few issues... - Some series won't record. For example, the wife likes to record her days of our life episodes and when she sets it to record as a series, the very next day the recording did not show up. This has happened a few times already. We never experienced this issue with our old 8300. - There are several channels that we have that don't play or appear on the 8642 PVR, just a black screen... but shows up on the 4642 receiver. Let me explain further. We had these channels for years and they show up in white not greyed out. - There are some none hd 4:3 channels that won't stretch. Any idea / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Issues with 8642 PVR

As for the blank channels, i have had it happen once on my 8642 and 2x on my 4642.  A reboot, and they come back.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the quick response Gdkitty. I'll give that a try.

Cheers!
I Plan to Stick Around

How to reset or wipe memory of Explorer 8642HD PVR?

Does anyone know how to reset or wipe the hard drive memory of the Explorer 8642HD PVR?  Several days ago it was not rebooting properly, blinking power light, and could not record 2 shows that were set to record.  Now it’s working again and still lists those 2 shows as scheduled to record on that past date, and I can’t delete them.  I can watch other shows recorded but can’t delete them too, and I can’t record anything new, even just hitting the REC button, it says “recording failed due to duplicate recording.”  So I’d like to watch the few shows left, and then wipe the hard drive clean and start from scratch.  Thx.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bob7 wrote:

Does anyone know how to reset or wipe the hard drive memory of the Explorer 8642HD PVR?  Several days ago it was not rebooting properly, blinking power light, and could not record 2 shows that were set to record.  Now it’s working again and still lists those 2 shows as scheduled to record on that past date, and I can’t delete them.  I can watch other shows recorded but can’t delete them too, and I can’t record anything new, even just hitting the REC button, it says “recording failed due to duplicate recording.”  So I’d like to watch the few shows left, and then wipe the hard drive clean and start from scratch.  Thx.

With the Navigatr software:

Settings->Troubleshooting->Diagnostics->Restore Factory Settings

I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

@Bob7 wrote:

With the Navigatr software:

Settings->Troubleshooting->Diagnostics->Restore Factory Settings

Thx.  I got to the Restore button, it asks for my parental controls pin, I enter that, it accepts, and then just goes back to the Restore Settings button w/o doing anything, tried several times.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bob7:

Have you tried just a regular reboot? (say unplug the unit for a minute and then plug it back in?)

You can call Rogers and ask them to force a "factory reset" on your unit if you can't get it to work. While you're on the phone with Rogers have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood first. Lots of times signal issues cause problems for people that are not the fault of the STB itself.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@Bob7:

Have you tried just a regular reboot? (say unplug the unit for a minute and then plug it back in?)

You can call Rogers and ask them to force a "factory reset" on your unit if you can't get it to work. While you're on the phone with Rogers have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood first. Lots of times signal issues cause problems for people that are not the fault of the STB itself.

Tried many unplugs for a regular reboot, ends up with the power light blinking.  I did a dumb thing when I was in the Restore screen when Restore didn't work, it also has a reboot button, which I should have left alone, but I clicked it and now it's back to not rebooting with a flashing power light.  Rogers said they could possibly do a factory restore if I can get it to stay turned on.  We have a local tech guy who fixes game boxes etc and I'm going to see if he can get it to turn on.  Thx for the input.

I Plan to Stick Around

After latest update 8642hd pvr reboots after every recording

So after this latest guide update on my 8642hd pvr, at the end of any recording my pvr reboots and the recording is lost. Up until this forced guide update I had no problems with this pvr. Spoke to tech support, no help as PVR is out of warranty. He said he hadn't heard of my specific problem but had hear of a lot of other issues with this update.

It would seem stupid of Rogers to not update slowly with a couple of thousand people at a time and work out the bugs. Of course maybe they did and I'm one of the suckers. Anyway, I'll be calling back to cancel unless they plan on replacing my PVR since they broke it.

One other thing, I did find an older post (not this latest update) where someone had the same problem but no resolutions was mentioned.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Headfake:

If you lost all your recordings as part of the firmware update, or you don't mind losing your recordings and any of the other settings on your box like favourite channels, you could try a "Factory Reset". This is accomplished by going into Settings, scroll up one to Troubleshooting and perform Factory Reset.  Do not do a factory reset if you care about your recordings or settings.  This should be a "last resort".

Another possibility is that the new firmware requires more signal strength. Signal causes a lot of problems with PVRs and may preclude you from properly recording.  See the following post on that topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Can you access your recording while it's still being recorded (pause live TV)?  Or does it reboot as soon as you try to access?