Issues with 8642 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issues with 8642 PVR

Hello @343sj,

Not being able to record or go On-Demand is definitely not ideal at all especially since it was an update that caused all of this in the first place. I am confident that the ticket you have escalated via our Technical Support teams will result in a positive outcome. Anyone who is having issues after the recent update to the Navigatr guide should have a ticket escalated on their file as it will raise more awareness to this issue and hopefully speed up the solution process.

The On-Demand issue seems to be a new one as I have not heard any complaints regarding Video On Demand (VOD)  after the update was pushed. Can you advise if its all VOD channels or just TMN VOD? Do you get an error message at all? Can you describe what happens when you tune into those channels so we can investigate further?

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

RogersTony 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@343sj wrote:

This just gets worse and worse.   Not only can I not record since the unwanted firmware update that was forced onto the PVR, I also can't use the video-on-demand feature on channel 309 (for TMN, for instance).  

@343sj:

As we discussed earlier in this thread, this sounds like a signal issue in that your signal is either not strong enough getting to you, or the return signal from your box is not getting back to the Rogers head end, so you would have difficulty with On-demand channels, and probably also with the SDV channels (the less used channels in your neighbourhood).  It could be an issue in your home or in your neighbourhood.

Now that the issue has been escallated, it should be resolved as soon as they sort out this signal issue:  See my post on this topic below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I managed to get access to TMN on demand by rebooting again, so that was one problem that got fixed by a reboot, at least temporarily.   Since it worked the 2nd time, I didn't have the chance to see if the problem was just with that channel.    Still can't record shows though, either manually or by timer.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The issue with On-Demand is not new - and as @57 has pointed out, it most typically is a signal issue, but I have had it occasionally due to the On Demand information not fully loading off a nightly update.

Glad to hear that hit has been escalated.  Let us know what you learn.

In general, the Navigatr update (I use that term loosely), has been stable on the Nextbox 3 terminal and PVR and on 4K boxes for quite a while, but never has performed well on the Nextbox 2 and down, and now with this update to the remaining boxes, people have experienced the lost recordings (the engineers and department knew about this issue from before, you would think advanced warning would have been given), and others get to experience the oddities of the program.

Without a doubt, this experience is more than not ideal, it is unacceptable, but Rogers has being doing this to us when it comes to this "upgrade" for over 2 years now.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with it until they figure out what the future will be for their technology and begin to move it out to us.

But definitely sounds like signal - I wish you luck into moving ahead - maybe if it can't be resolved to your satisfaction, maybe they will consider moving you up to a new box at no additional cost to you.  As you said, you didn't ask for this.

Take care, Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Whatever they did in the last 48 hours (time of writing Sat Aug 12, 9:48PM) has rectified my 'won't save any recordings/constant reboot' issue. The PVR is still slow to respond to the remote but the overall functionality is now acceptable and I consider the matter resolved.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Spoke too soon. As of Sunday morning it was back to rebooting every time a recording was being closed off.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

We didn't have any problems with slow response time until the end of July 2017 software update - which update was mandatory. We own our 8642HD and don't appreciate Rogers forcing it to become sooooooo sloooooooooow. 

What type of credit on the purchase of a new NextBox model does Rogers offer as a result of this forced obsolesence?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Best to contact them directly, or through communityhelps via Private Message here on the forum.

Some people have reported that they have been offered some kind of deals around this issue with availability of a more current box.

Worth a try.  You are not alone on this one right now.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was renting the Nextbox 2.0 and now own it after 36 months.  Now the box appears to be faulty.  I can no longer go back to Rogers and do a simple exchange.  Anyone else encounter something like this?  What would be my best option at this point?

Thanks.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@James_Greene wrote:

I was renting the Nextbox 2.0 and now own it after 36 months.  Now the box appears to be faulty.  I can no longer go back to Rogers and do a simple exchange.  Anyone else encounter something like this?  What would be my best option at this point?

Thanks.

I was once told that you still get a warranty for one year beyond the rent to own.

Call Rogers and see that is still the case.