Issues with 8642 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with 8642 PVR

I tried the factory reset. I had already lost everything with the update so I had nothing else to lose by doing the

factory reset. Tech on the phone agreed. No difference. Still would reboot at the end of recordings.

However, long story short, after a conversation with retentions, they not only made me whole again, they made me better than whole IMO. This is probably the first time I felt appreciated as a Rogers customer in well over 30 years as their customer. I typically have to fight and and get stressed to simply be made whole when I speak to them, by that I mean give me what I've paid for and agreed to and give me hardware that works (and don't break my pvr with a silly guide update). 

Too bad they didn't send me one of those customer survey emails this time, I finally had something nice to say.

Anyway, in the end it's over but have no idea what happened. As a tech enthusiast I'd love to know what the problem was but, oh well. 

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Headfake wrote:

I tried the factory reset. I had already lost everything with the update so I had nothing else to lose by doing the

factory reset. Tech on the phone agreed. No difference. Still would reboot at the end of recordings.

However, long story short, after a conversation with retentions, they not only made me whole again, they made me better than whole IMO. This is probably the first time I felt appreciated as a Rogers customer in well over 30 years as their customer. I typically have to fight and and get stressed to simply be made whole when I speak to them, by that I mean give me what I've paid for and agreed to and give me hardware that works (and don't break my pvr with a silly guide update). 

So what did Rogers finally do? Replace your 8642HD PVR with a 9865HD PVR?  Or was it a free limited time rental? In my opinion that's the only logical solution to the problem. It's foolish to fight with and antagonize customers after crippling their hardware with an unwanted software upgrade.  When Rogers was transitioning to digital and many customers with older TVs were losing more and more channels, they came out with free digital converters (DTA50). 

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

So what did Rogers finally do? Replace your 8642HD PVR with a 9865HD PVR?  Or was it a free limited time rental? In my opinion that's the only logical solution to the problem. It's foolish to fight with and antagonize customers after crippling their hardware with an unwanted software upgrade.  When Rogers was transitioning to digital and many customers with older TVs were losing more and more channels, they came out with free digital converters (DTA50). 

For me, I would have been satisfied with a simple replacement for my purchased 8642hd, but as they didn't have any, nor any of the nextbox 3.0's I was given a 4k. To me that's more than what they had to do. 

Of course I'm not naive though, I understand full well that they understood what my response would have been had they not made me whole, or as in this case they chose to make me a little better than whole. They would have lost a whole lot of money over then next several years.

Bell made that mistake with my landline a few years ago. Phone stopped working out of the blue, they threatened to charge me $80 or so if the problem was within my home. I said I'd rather cancel. They offered me discounts that added up to more than $80. I still canceled as they aggravated me so much on the phone and frankly woke me up to the fact that they were unnecessary expense, when we had 2 cell phones in the house. Curious if they still have that idiotic policy.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Issue with the new PVR firmware update

I kept my old (2011-era) PVR because I preferred the old guide and other software to what replaced that - but as of last week, it was automatically updated with the new software as Rogers was phasing out the old guide/software.  Disappointed that was the case, but I accepted it - the new guide/software is very slow on my old PVR, but it has some nice features, like the cover photo of taped movies in your recording list when they are shown on a grid.

But I have one problem I can't resolve -- it won't record new programs any more.  None of my scheduled programs have recorded since the update.  I erased those scheduled ones and reprogrammed them, but they still won't record.   I tried recording a show that was currently on the air by just pressing the record button, and it seemed to work, so I stopped it and erased what I'd recorded -- but later on, after noticing that the PVR had again failed to record a scheduled recording, I tried to manually record the show about 5 minutes after it had started - the PVR indicated "this show is now recording" and there was a red dot in the guide, and a red recording on the front of the PVR -- but as soon as the show was over and I went to watch it, there was nothing recorded, and once again the last recording in the list is the last show I recorded before the firmware update was forced upon me.   

Watching shows/on demand (purchased UFC last weekend) all worked fine, but I can't get the PVR to record, and the problem isn't the hard drive since it was working fine before the firmware update and I can still watch all the shows that were recorded before the firmware update.  Very frustrating, especially since I very much did not want this slow, cumbersome firmware, and was happy with my old PVR.   Is it no longer capable of working with the new firmware?  Please help!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@343sj:

If you haven't done so already, try rebooting the PVR.  Go into Settings, scroll up to Troubleshooting and select Reboot (not Factory Reset).  Or you can simply unplug the unit for a few seconds.  It'll take 5-10  minutes to reboot.

A reboot seems to cure most ills.

If that doesn't work, call Rogers and have them check the signal on your PVR. Sometimes the newer firmware requires a better signal.  Make sure you have the serial number of that PVR handy so they can check that specifically.  I've seen quite a few times when a low signal causes the PVR to indicate that it's recording, but the signal is not strong enough and it's actually recording nothing.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the exact same issue with one of my two 8642s after the NAVIGATR update about 2 weeks ago, around Thursday July 20/17. The other 8642 unit (the older one oddly) took the update OK. The problem unit can't close a recorded file without rebooting and losing the recorded program though it seems to go into recording mode fine and shows the program as recording. This issue happens whether it's a scheduled recording or done manually with the remote. (Rogers DID have it working for a day, Saturday July 22 I believe, after a late night patch download, but it reverted to not recording again the next day.) Service techs have been out twice to check signal etc. to no avail. None of Factory Restore nor Reboot nor unplugging power and coax make any difference.

I'm not inclined to replace the unit just because an uninvited OS rollout bricked it. My one call up the ladder to Rogers Customer Retention was less than inspiring.

I'm willing to give Rogers tech types more time to work on the issue in the background as they still seem to be looking at it. Another call to customer retention may be necessary but I'd prefer to avoid it if all that is required is some patience on my part.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cisco Explorer 8642HD - Reboots constantly when recording since Guide Update

The guide on my box has been updated about a week ago.  Since then it will continuously reboot when recording.  the update also wiped out all my recordings I have saved.  Most I don't care about but 1 I had saved for about 2 years.

So the problem I have here is this Box had the same issue about 4 years ago when they first introduced the Next Box 2.0.  at that time they pushed the software update also.... The exact same thing happened.  I called to complain then and they rolled back the update.  Ever since I have remained on the old guide with no issues ( until now).

I purchased this box for about $500, and there is no way I will be buying a new one because of this update.  Rogers better find a solution, especially one that is known for years.

*** Forgot to add I did call rogers and opened a ticket.  They also informed me they will not be rolling back the guide this time.... hopefully there will be a positive outcome.

Highlighted

Hi @snafu169,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience.  I can totally understand your frustration with the new update, especially since you lost all of your recordings.  

I'm hopeful that the ticket escalated does the trick.  It looks like it's currently under review with our network teams improve the overall performance.  If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know here or send a PM to @CommunityHelps.

For more information on our Private Messaging system, please see this page.

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the response.  I did try manually rebooting previously, and after your suggestion I also rebooted several times using the settings/troubleshooting/reboot menu option -- no luck.    Called Rogers tech support and they were unable to resolve the problem but opened a ticket and said they'd get back to me at some point.  

Depressing, as I don't want to lose my recordings on my PVR, most of which are rare movies or documentaries.  I wish we'd had the option to decline this firmware update - judging by the number or responses in this and other threads, jamming this new firmware/o/s on these older PVRs has produced a lot of problems.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This just gets worse and worse.   Not only can I not record since the unwanted firmware update that was forced onto the PVR, I also can't use the video-on-demand feature on channel 309 (for TMN, for instance).    So not only am I missing all the shows that I would have recorded, I can't access any of them to the extent they're available on demand.  

This is very disheartening - Rogers should not have forced through a firmware update without consent when it broke so many old PVRs.   I have 4 services with Rogers including a maxed out TV service and no retention contract despite my monthly bill often being $400 (I don't even use the home phone - that also hasn't worked in almost a year, but I've kept it for the voicemail service and because with the discount for multiple services the cost is minimal).   I am one of the least likely customers to complain about normal teething issues, but it's now been 2 weeks and I'm stuck with a PVR of limited utility because of an unwanted upgrade (in addition to home phone that doesn't work) and I can't even swap this PVR because it has programs that I've been collecting for years.