Issues with 8600HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Issues with 8600HD

@umlee168: These sorts of codes, usually when a reboot doesn't complete, are an indication of a signal issue, either in your home or in your neighbourhood. Check out the following post on the topic - check the signal yourself if you can get it to boot and/or call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home (at the specific box) and in your neighbourhood. They can do this remotely.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Con2234
I've Been Around

My 90 year old mother lives in a retirement community. They recently “upgraded” to these refurbished 8600 HD s.  She has a 6 year old tv. The NextBox is not working. They are telling her that she needs a new tv because her tv is slow. It is not her tv that is slow, it is the nextbox. How can Rogers help her ? How can I help her? She needs a tv more than ever with the current covid restrictions. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8600 should work with any TV.  Here are my comments/questions:

1. What connection is she using between the Box and TV? (HDMI, Component? Composite?)

2. What is the exact make/model of the TV?

3. Is the TV on the correct input?

4. Try a composite connection (yellow cable) as a test.  Make sure to switch to that input.

5. If that works, set the video output under "settings" to whatever the TV will accept. Most HDTVs will accept 1080i.  Perhaps the box is currently set to something that the TV will not accept, like 1080P.

6.  I'm assuming that the box boots up and shows the time.

7.  The people who handle retirement community issue at Rogers is a different group and you'll need to contact the retirement community manager to get the contact information if the above doesn't work.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  I haven't used an 8600 in years.  It ran fine with the SARA firmware.  With Navigatr, it was PAINFULLY slow.  Press "Guide" and it typically took 5 seconds to respond.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We're talking about the 8600 here, not the 8642. The 8600 is an "hobbled" 8642 which functions only as a set top box and performs that function well enough.  It should work, if a bit slowly, for most people who only want to watch (and not record) certain channels...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 Actually, I did have one of those “hobbled” 8642’s, which I exchanged for a 4642HD. Both were excruciatingly painful to use. Perhaps things have gotten better since then but I never had a good experience with Navigatr on that generation of hardware.