Issues with 8600HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Issues with 8600HD

The 4642, is slower than the Nextbox 3..  but the two i have, dont take 4-6 seconds for stuff.. 

So my guess is that it may be be slightly faster than the 8600.

They should be even on the rental costs.

RemoJagger
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a 8624HD PVR that is also brutally slow. I regularly unplug the box to do a reset. Works better for a while and then it is slow again. I have an old Scientific Atlanta PVR which has old software and it still works great. Never ever need to reboot it.

Obviously it is a software issue.
Roger's please fix this ASAP!!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RemoJagger:

Indirectly it's a firmware (software) issue, however, it's also a hardware issue in that the 86XXs are simply underpowered (like an old computer) to handle the new firmware (Navigatr) well.  It is unlikely there will be a major fix by Rogers.  They will simply hope that eventually all these old boxes will no longer be used.  The RTN (previous) firmware was not much better in terms of speed.  The 8642s were slow from the get-go.

The PVRs like the 8642 and 9865 seem to occasionally encounter a "Memory leak" and then become brutally slow.  In that case a reboot fixes the issue (back to "normal").

The older SARA firmware did not require as much in terms of resources and has not really had any updates since late 2012 when 1.93.16.1 was pushed to customers (SA8300HD).

dvddude27
I've Been Around

yes painfully slow. my brother has bell..waaaay faster

Ed15
I'm Here A Lot

Is this how it should behave. First i hit list to open up pvr list. Then opened guide

https://youtu.be/oMdbaMx3G2o

Desilets
I've Been Around

I can pause play and fast forward but cannot rewind!? You used to be able to in previous boxes on whole home system. You can't even skip forward 30sec at a time anymore. Why are these boxes devolving!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Desilets:

For the information of others not familiar with the 8600, it's usually an 8642 which has been "hobbled" so that it can't record. The 86XX's were extremely slow, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

If you're renting, you may wish to consider trading for a 4642 if you want a STB. If not, get a 9865 PVR which is much faster.  As far as functionality is concerned, you should be able to rewind.  Perform a reboot of all the boxes in your WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) system and wait 30 minutes after the reboot to see if that helps.  If that doesn't help, if you post again, list all the equipment in your WHPVR system and you may need to call Rogers for a service visit.

You could never skip forward 30 seconds, it was always 3 minutes forward or back using the Page+/- key with Rogers. There is a skip back of about 8-10 seconds using the key above or below REW depending on which remote you have.

tjplee1
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a 8600 HD box rental for last 2 years and will be owning this box on May 9, 2018.  I had a tech two weeks ago come in for interruption issues and now resolved.  The tech mentioned that I should have the 8600 HD box replaced for a more current/newer/smaller box but did not mention the model number.   I called the Rogers retail store and was told that the replacement model is a 4642.  I had read thru this forum to find out comparsion and which model would be better to have.   The 8600 does have slowness especially with viewing recorder changes.

Should I exchange for a 4246?

Any help / suggestion is much appreciated.

RogersZia

Hello @tjplee1,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

Nextbox 2.0 (4642) is newer than the box you currently have, you'll definitely notice an improvement in comparison. I do want to advise you that Rent-to-own program is no longer available so you have the option to either buy it outright or get a rental on a monthly basis.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

RogersZia

umlee168
I'm Here A Lot

Nextbox explorer 8600 HD showing code -03-

Does any know what this code means? I've searched and don't seem to find anybody else having this code. There are other codes but -03- isn't one of them. Thanks.