Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

mm76,

If your 8642HD is running the Enhanced Guide more recent software version you can re-boot the box from the remote (assuming your box isn't totally hung in which case you have to use the power cord - in this version the front panel buttons no longer do anything).

The re-boot option is found on the Settings Menu and scroll to the bottom of the option list and in a sub-menu there, I believe it's diagnostics is a re-boot set top box option.   Be careful no to choose re-set to factory option where all of your settings and hard drive contents will disappear.

I use this option all the time for a different reason.   MY unit has a bad habit of reverting to 480i output on most days after the unit has been 'off' for the day.  I think it happens during the nightly software updates when I'm not using the unit but can't be sure.   I'm forced to re-boot to get it back to outputting a proper HD level video display to my projector.   It's just annoying that on the Enhanced Guide version it can take up to 15 minutes to get back to normal.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This bug you speak of may not be a bug.  On Demand requires authentication, and if you're locking up, it may be a handshake problem.  This can be due to the box, the software in it or a signal issue.

I have no issues with On Demand and I use this box.  I don't particularly like it, but that's because the new boxes don't play nicely with CRT televisions.

Anyway, I would contact technical support and have them see if they can flash the box as the cablecard in it might be behind in updates.  Most updates exist to address security updates more than anything else, and if the box has not updated properly, it will not be able to authenticate properly.

When you do a reboot, this forces an authentication provided that the box will connect properly.  As you can gather, this is only temporary. 

Being that it is a pain in the tuches to reboot boxes constantly (and it does degrade their performance over time), I'd recommend the call to technical support next.  You're really wasting your time here as we can only provide arm-chair technical support, and you really need to contact someone on the front lines at this point.

P.S.: Even if they don't have the tools to flash the box (which is a possibility), they will probably be able to get signal samples of some sort, which they can then use to determine the next course of action.  If they detect poor signal levels, DO NOT opt to swap the box as this will not resolve the issue.  A technician will most likely be required in this case.

Nate.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

My 8642HD box has been exhibiting some buggy behaviours recently.  When I try to record a show and press A to start the recording, it will freeze up for several seconds.  When it unfreezes, it returns to the current broadcast but it fails to start recording at all.  

I'm thinking maybe the hard drive is done or has some bad sectors and could use a format.

I would like to see if a factory reset (which includes a wipe/format of the HD) will fix things.  I can't seem to find how to factory reset the box though.  It is still on the SARA system.

I own the unit so swapping the box with another one is out.  Having said that, that means I can crack it open.  If the solution involves remove the drive and format it via a PC, or even swapping the HD with a newer/larger drive (have the 160GB version) to keep the box going, I'm in.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to clarify, I'm looking for the ability to factory hard reset, not simply reboot or a soft reboot.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you tried hitting the record button instead of the A button?
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @Hwaiting,

@Hwaiting wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm looking for the ability to factory hard reset, not simply reboot or a soft reboot.

To perform a soft reset, check out this link (for an 8300hd, might work on 8642hd). I am digging looking for a factory reset procedure, will post if I find something. 

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello,

Check this out: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29213890-TV-How-do-I-do-a-Factory-Reset-with-HD-format-of-the-8642H...

Does this link help? Please let us know!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp That procedure probably won't work.  If you read @Hwaiting's post you'll see he's running SARA on his 8642, not RTN (or now Navigatr).  He's probably one of a few people with this combination.

@Hwaiting, you may need to call Rogers to do a factory reset on an SARA 8642. Please be aware that this may force a Navigatr update to your 8642 - so if you don't want that, be sure to mention it to the CSR - although they probably won't understand, and you may need to escallate to second or third level.

Here's the "wipe iHDD" instructions for an 8300HD (running SARA) which may work for an SARA 8642:

"Press and hold PAUSE until Mail led is lit. Press PAGE down or (-),
and then press LIST three times. Turn box off. When turned-on,
formatting will begin."

Here are the instructions for an 8642 running Navigatr:

With the 8642HD powered ON, press (and continue to hold) both the POWER & SELECT buttons simultaneously.
Unplug the unit while continuing to hold the POWER & SELECT buttons.
Wait 3-5 seconds, then replug the unit.
After 2-3 seconds with the power reapplied, release the POWER & SELECT buttons.
Unit should now go through the firmware update attempt.
Note that a factory reset will delete all of your settings and your recordings.

And here's a thread on replacing/upgrading the iHDD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/122489-adding-larger-internal-h...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for everyone's replies.  I will try the options available on my end (don't want to call into Rogers and end up losing SARA).  I'm also interested in increasing the capacity so I'll research into those options also.

Can signal strength be the cause of record problems?  For whatever reason I notice that my input signal has become really high.  I've always had the opposite problem.  Due to the cabling in my house, I've had to use amplifiers to ensure adequate signal strength throughtout the home.  The signal strength at this particular 8642HD box was 15dB with a S/N ratio in the high 30's.  I added a splitter right before the 8642 box just to cut down on the signal for now.  Anyone know why the signal would become so strong all of a sudden?  Would the leaving of customers connected to the outside box on my street increase the signal like that?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Resetting a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

We Have an old  Scientific Atlanta 8300HD we have used it for many years and now the hard drive is full. we also have scheduled series recordings we would like to reset.  I am wondering if there is any way to reset the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and start fresh