Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

Hi. Does anyone know if  there is a special button combination that will reboot the 8642HD box? Unplugging the box is awkward if the powerbar is behind furniture. I've read suggestions of plugging into a timer that powers off in the middle of then night when nothing's scheduled, but then plugging in a timer into a surge protector blocks adjacent outlets (timers are wide) and I'm not sure if it would be a fire hazard. Having a reset button combination would make things alot easier. Of course, fixing the backend systems would be ideal, but until then we need an easier process.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

I just gave up on the 8642 and went back to the 8300.  At least this box and the features work. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

To reboot your STB without unplugging it, press the two volume buttons and the Info button simultaneously
(all three buttons at the same time on the STB itself). Do not touch anything on the box or the remote
until the time appears (takes a couple of minutes). Even then, it may take some time for the IPG
(Interactive Program Guide) to reload its information.

You can also reboot your box from your couch:
1. Make sure you are not on a VOD or music channel
2. Press the Pause button on the remote with the remote in VOD mode until the Mail light flashes
   (just like for the diagnostics screen)
3. But instead of paging up to get into the diagnostic screens, press page-down
4. You will get a code on the front of the set top box.
   Press stop 3 times on the remote and it will reboot [the "LED" circle going around, or "boot" appears].

I'm Here A Lot

I can't get either of these mehods to work with the 8642HD... maybe Rogers disabled these.

Speedy1701 wrote:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

To reboot your STB without unplugging it, press the two volume buttons and the Info button simultaneously
(all three buttons at the same time on the STB itself). Do not touch anything on the box or the remote
until the time appears (takes a couple of minutes). Even then, it may take some time for the IPG
(Interactive Program Guide) to reload its information.

You can also reboot your box from your couch:
1. Make sure you are not on a VOD or music channel
2. Press the Pause button on the remote with the remote in VOD mode until the Mail light flashes
   (just like for the diagnostics screen)
3. But instead of paging up to get into the diagnostic screens, press page-down
4. You will get a code on the front of the set top box.
   Press stop 3 times on the remote and it will reboot [the "LED" circle going around, or "boot" appears].

From your first post, are you suggesting you want to reboot the PVR nightly?

If so, any particular reason?

I recently bought the 8642PVR last month, so i'm also new to it.

Over the weekend, I also added a 1TB extender (custom build , not Rogers).

I'm Here A Lot

No not nightly, just whenever it locks up. There's a frequent bug that happens when accessing Rogers On Demand that will cause the box to freeze up until you reboot it. So far the only way I know how to reboot the box is to disconnect the power.

I dunno why I mentioned the timer in my original post. probably just frustrated with trying to find an easy way to reboot.

Speedy1701 wrote:

From your first post, are you suggesting you want to reboot the PVR nightly?

If so, any particular reason?

I recently bought the 8642PVR last month, so i'm also new to it.

Over the weekend, I also added a 1TB extender (custom build , not Rogers).

Rogers Employee GRtechJason
Rogers Employee

With the pvr you have to press and press again and hold it the 2nd time( the pause button), until the mail light blinks(5-8 secs) then page down and stop 3x. Pause once it thinks your pausing live tv
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Odd the only way I can get the Message Icon to flash is to hold these 3 buttons down:
Vol -, Vol +, Select
after that, I can't get it to reboot.
I can do other things like:
change the resolution to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i - press volume buttons when message icon flashes
view the system screens - press 'info'  when message icon flashes

but no reboot Smiley Sad 

@GRtechJason wrote:
With the pvr you have to press and press again and hold it the 2nd time( the pause button), until the mail light blinks(5-8 secs) then page down and stop 3x. Pause once it thinks your pausing live tv

Hmmm ... I can't tell how your home theatre is set up ... but if you can get to the front of the box, is it really that far in that you can't unplug the power cord from the back of the unit vs. from the power bar? Just rememeber to power off first.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same problem -after i replaced my 8300 hds with 8642 s due to the firmware upgrade debacle last fall during which i lost all my recorded goodies-n - in any event -yes sometimes on either of my 8642s going in and out of ROD can cause the box to black out e.g. menu lives but all screens otherwise black!-  I am tired of crawling on the floor to reach under a cabinet to pull the plug - I tries vol+vol + info did not work - used to on 8300 - so is there something else - any help accepted

or do we have to march this up to management to get some action -again!!!

on a side note with all publicity about these amazing boxes - i find it pretty funny that newer boxes don't do the interactive settings and call display  like the old ones - Lets see---! new box-- LESS features   Hmmmmm!