Is Rogers 4k TV HDR?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is Rogers 4k TV HDR?

Do you guys know if the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs home games are broadcast in HDR on the Rogers 4k channel?  There is conflicting information out there about this.  If someone could please let me know I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Is Rogers 4k TV HDR?

Hi @SickBeast

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

All Blue Jays home games are available in 4K, as for Maple Leaf home games, no information on 4K is available at this time.

You can find more information here.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I realize that the games are broadcast in 4k resolution.  My question is whether or not Rogers is broadcasting in HDR.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Doubtful,  I doubt it's even really 4K, based on what I'm learning about other 4K sources.   They just can't push the bandwidth for real 4K.

Netflix 4K is 25% quality of a 4K Blu Ray.

and my current movies 1080P played on a Blu-Ray to my TV look better than Netflix does.   Their bit rate is below 20 MBPS, where as 4K should be over 100.

basically wait another year before caring about this stuff.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh no one is answering my question. Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure if anyone specifically at rogers would know..

I am assuming your talking about 

High-dynamic-range ??

WhisperXBA's answer here come into play, in which I would assume likely NOT? at least at this time.

The higher quality (even in 1080, let alone 4k) takes up MORE bandwidth.
The 4k signal sent out.. is overly compressed.  Its still probably higher than maybe FULL 1080 uncompressed, but will not be an uncompressed 4k.

While I guess it still could be HDR while compressed.. you would take a hit i would think.. so wouldnt necessarily be worth it?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I would assume that Rogers is using a newer compression algorithm with their 4k content, probably either h.264 or even h.265.  That will easily double the quality using the same amount of bandwidth, and in the case of h.265 it will offer four times the quality at the same bitrate as MPEG-2.  I am certain that the Rogers 4k feed will look better than their current 720p/1080i channels by an order of magnitude.

I still would like to know, however, if Rogers is broadcasting in HDR.  HDR makes a bigger visual difference than going from 1080p to 4k so this is a very big deal.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

There is no HDR content on Rogers yet. It was delayed until 2017. I know they are testing it though. I met with one of their buyers who was looking for 50 HDR sets for them. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @SickBeast

At the moment I don't think they are. My TV is HDR enabled and i haven't seen HDR on the 4K terminal. I have heard from sources that they are in the works of it but at the moment nothing yet
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

The latest I have heard is that Rogers will start broadcasting in HDR in "2017".  No firm date though.  If you guys hear anything please let me know!