Intermittent Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent Black Screen

@Blacktv wrote:

I was posting in this tread because I was sharing my experience and solution with others that are having  a problem with black screen...

@Blacktv  If you look at the start of my previous post you'll see that I wasn't talking to you.  Yes, black screens can be caused by cables, as you mentioned, but in the case of @rickwl2000 Rogers have diagnosed the issue and it is a signal issue in his neighbourhood.  Therefore @rickwl2000 needs to stay in touch with Rogers until that is resolved.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Blacktv wrote:

I was posting in this thread because I was sharing my experience and solution with others that are having  a problem with black screen, which they believe is a signal problem.  All I am trying to say, is that maybe people should also look for other issues, not just blaming signal issues and blaming Rogers for it. 

You can't change Rogers behaviour or other people's behaviour unfortunately. This community is stuck solving its own problems as an advertised free service. Smiley Wink

Nevertheless, the same problem exits on our two systems and it is almost 3 years later.  

In our case, one Samsung TV is connected to an NB2 (8642) box with an HDMI cable and another Samsung TV is connected to an NB3 (9865) box with an HDMI cable. I can try different "suggestions" on different Samsung TVs.

The Solution to this problem from @bobhurter said the system requires a complete HDMI reboot impying the problem is with the HDMI cable.  I don't know what an HDMI reboot really is so I was wondering if anyone solved this problem by changing HDMI cables? Or does it only happen on Samsung TVs?  I think we all know how bad this software is and nearly everyone knows how to reboot the box and the problem persists. Could be another cause. Because the problem is intermittent, it will be very hard to troubleshoot. 

Hi All, Thanks for the many great comments. I finally bit the bullet and stayed on hold until I could talk to a Rogers customer service rep. After a couple of questions, she knew how to fix things. My connection from the box to the TV is an HDMI cable. Apparently, some cables (not all are the same) can result in problems like mine and then the system requires a complete HDMI reboot. She walked me the process for both boxes and they have been working okay for a couple of weeks now. Since I cannot remember the correct sequence for reconnecting things and starting them (box and TV), guess that I will have to call again if it reoccurs (should have written it down). She said that if the problem comes back to take the HDMI cables into a Rogers store for replacement (Rogers has ones specific for their equipment that they know will work) and this should solve the problem completely. bobhurter

bobhurter
I'm Here A Lot

User 14 - the full system reboot worked for a couple of months but the problem came back. I got new HDMI cables for free from a Rogers store for both my units and installed them. Then had a Rogers service rep walk me through the full system reboot over the phone. It's been several years now and the problem is completely gone.
User14

@bobhurter wrote:
User 14 - the full system reboot worked for a couple of months but the problem came back. I got new HDMI cables for free from a Rogers store for both my units and installed them. Then had a Rogers service rep walk me through the full system reboot over the phone. It's been several years now and the problem is completely gone.

Thanks for the info... I'll see if I can get Rogers to provide me with a new HDMI cable "for free".  

I'll put it on one of our TVs and see if my "beta tester" notices the difference.  If she does, then I be sure to report back in a week. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really i wouldnt bother.  The rogers ones are pretty bad.

I have got 3-4 over the years with boxes.. not a SINGLE one has worked properly.

User14

@Gdkitty wrote:

Really i wouldnt bother.  The rogers ones are pretty bad.
I have got 3-4 over the years with boxes.. not a SINGLE one has worked properly.

Thanks for the advice, but I was told to do something to fix this so I am going to give it a try on one (1) TV. I have only noticed it a few times myself, once when it was on a recorded program. It seems to be random and you loose the entire picture for a second or two. 

I have not found any other explanations on why this happens other than faulty software or faulty signal. Both TVs are Samsung so perhaps the fault is in the TV.  I guess most people just live with it. I also find it strange that this thread starting in 2013 yet the fault persists. We'll see what happens.   

User14

@User14 wrote:

I have not found any other explanations on why this happens other than faulty software or faulty signal. Both TVs are Samsung so perhaps the fault is in the TV.  I guess most people just live with it. I also find it strange that this thread starting in 2013 yet the fault persists. We'll see what happens.    

I went to my local Rogers Store outlet and was met by a friendly employee. I explained the 2-3 seconds of black screen and she asked what channel did it usually happen on. I said it might be PBS, but I wasn`t sure. She said it could be the station, or the box and I said this community indicated it could be the HDMI cable.  She immediatly gave me one and said to give it a try but to record the channel it happens on. If it happens on different stations, then it could be the box and she said they would exchange it.   Now... I have to give cudos to this woman and the  client service I received. It was excellent.

mac0075
I've Been Around

I had a tech out to look at a problem for black screen on most channels, pixelization on a few channels and frozen screen on some others. I've changed boxes so it's not that, I changed wires and input methods and it's not that. Not the T.V. and not the box. The tech said it may be the wire in my wall but then opted to put a booster on the line. One week later the same issues.

So if it is the wire in the wall, what do I do? There is no chance to re-wire to the location it's in. 

bobhurter
I'm Here A Lot

In the days before wireless modems, I was able to hard wire several rooms in my house (main floor and second floor) for Rogers internet using the cold air return ducts.  Used a weighted string to drop to the basement and pulled cable back up.  Then added a connector faceplate to the wall beside the duct and plugged the cable into it from behind (looks like it was built this way).  Works okay if you have a drop ceiling in the basement so you can access the ducts.

Failing this, you have to look at Bell Vibe TV and internet to see if/how they could install their system.

GeraldR00
I'm Here A Lot

Obviously from the number of comments this is not an isolated problem (misery loves company?). Ever since we got the latest nextbox which is a long time now, we've experienced this sort of problem ranging from audio drop-outs of a few seconds to jumbled up screens to some chanels freezing if you're watching at the time or going black when selecting them. This is typically isolated to only some chanels: can be a few or can be many but some are okay at the same time. Rebooting the box is mostly a waste of time i.e. rarely fixes anything. This also occurs with 'on demand' content on occassion - particularly annoying for paid content. The problem can persist for minutes to hours - no way of predicting. This problem is more frequent for cable than for Rogers internet - neither is enjoyable.