Intermittent Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelenP07ca
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Intermittent Black Screen

having it on all channels every couple of minutes.... NEXTBOX HD with HDMI cable.... any suggestions?

bobhurter
I'm Here A Lot

HelenP07ca - the only way I found to fix it is a full reboot of your system.  But, you need to connect the cables in a certain sequence.  I call Rogers whenever I have to do it and they walk me through what needs to be done.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @HelenP07ca,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable or changing the HDMI port on the back of the TV? A bad HDMI cable can cause intermittent black screen. Also try rebooting the box as suggested by @bobhurter and see if that fixes the issue. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Blacktv
I'm Here A Lot

I have the same problem with intermitent black screen off and on at times.  Some times the words "No signal appears on the screen" , so its not any thing that they tell you about HDMI cable or other stuff like loose connections etc.  The only solution is to reboot the box to recover.  Soon I will try to get a new box to see if that is the problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"No signal" on your TV usually indicates a poor or no connection.  So it is possible that you have a loose/poor connection. You can test this by unplugging the HDMI cable from your TV and you'll likely see the "no signal" message on your TV.

If you simply have a black screen and "no signal" doesn't come up, then you likely have a signal issue with your STB.  You can call Rogers and they can check the signal for you remotely.  It could be something in your home, or in your neighbourhood. If you have the option, you could try moving the STB to another location in your home closer to the demarcation point where the cable comes into your home. Also, if you have any splitters or anything else "upstream", temporarily remove that from the equation to test.  Do the test on the channel(s) that have the problem.

It is extremely rare that the issue is with the STB itself, it's almost always the signal to your STB, or a poor/loose connection somewhere upstream or downstream of the STB.  A reboot may temporarily solve the issue because the signal gets "relocked", but that's not permanent.

Blacktv
I'm Here A Lot

The HDMI cable is good.  All the connections are good and tight.

The black screen is intermitent and random and lasts for one to 3 seconds.  Sometimes there is no issue for days and other times it happens about six times one after another in about 30 second cycles then it is okay again.  The black screen is not there long enough to check the cable signal and if I got a Rogers service gut to come, they would not find any problem because it is random and sometime it does not happen for hours.  It is not a problem that I can create on demand to show the service guy so it is pointless to explain.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may have misunderstood my previous post. Let my try some different wording.  When your TV says "no signal", it means just that - there is no signal getting to the TV, either due to a poor connection or no connection. A black screen on the PVR still sends a signal.  You may wish to try a different HDMI cable, or reversing the ends of the HDMI cable as a test.

Secondly, you don't need to check the signal when the screen is black. You can call Rogers any time and have them check the signal to your STB - preferably tune your STB to one of the channels that normally has the issue as some channels get a poorer signal than others due to the frequency that it's sent on the RF-coax cable.  If the signal is marginal, they will be able to see it.  A good CSR will also be able to tell if the issue is outside your home, or inside the home.  Talk to your neighbours and ask them if they have the same issue - sometimes the isssue is with the signal to your neighbourhood, not to your home.  Signal issues are the most common source of issues for people.

ad8
I've Been Around

Some channel screens are blank

Hi,

We have a Cisco HD digital box, and are paying for the channels that are going blank. Channel 43 and 46 go blank when we change the channel, either by using the channel up/down button or typing in the #.  

We own the box, it is 3 yrs old. Yesterday, I had to upplug the box for a minute or so, for another issue, that problem was solved.

Can anyone help us?

Ann

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When channels go black, it's almost always a signal strength issue. Call Rogers and have them check the signal at your home.  Sometimes the issue may be in your neighbourhood, but they can check that signal remotely too.

A poor signal is the cause of many of the issues reported on this forum.

A reboot sometimes can bring back a poor signal temporarily as the STB and head end "resynch" but that is not a permanent solution.

See my comments in post 37, 35, etc.

Jwh1
I've Been Around

I have the same intermittent black screen issue. I switched from HDMI cables to coax and it seems to have solved the problem. The HDMI cable being used had been replaced from a Rogers store so don't count on them having a better cable. Hope this helps.