Intermittent Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Black Screen

Last night there was a major software update.

I had settled in to watch a movie and around 1am the pvr went into update mode.

Two hours later it was still updating so I went to bed.

Today CP24 HD is back online.

blackie
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes we are - last week on the non-HD TV every other channel was black and still are.  Today both TV's blanked out and we have a tech coming out tomorrow.   Now the TVs are working again but I am keeping the appointment so I can find out what is going on!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like an intermitant signal issue.

Good call in keeping the tech call.. have them check the signal at ALL points (street, outside the house, every splitter, end point etc)

ClaudiusAbel
I've Been Here Awhile

Don't count on the HDMI cable being the onbly problem here. I had the same issue.  Hdmi cable.. tv would freeze. Using component cable instead i now had audio issues. After numerous reboots from Shaw and two different guys coming over, it was suggested the TV was the issue. Since i had already component cables installed and now had audio issues seemed the guy might be right. I had a month to fiqure this out. Warranty is over at the end of November. Got a second TV hooked up on the same box and there were no issues. Both tv's running. I decided to see if Samsung had an update, and they did. Flashed the tv and haven't had issues since. 6 months of frustration over. BTW i did also have a bad hdmi cable but it was on my Dvd Player. Player would blank picture in and out.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @ClaudiusAbel,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Community. As per my own experience dealing with Cable issues, we don't normally get too many situations where the TV turns out to be the problem. It's usually a signal related problem for the most part, a bad HDMI connection or even a faulty box if it turns out the signals are in spec. I'm glad at least your TV is still usable and the issue fixed after an update :). There's also some good information regarding troubleshooting a black screen issue on our Rogers.com website here for anyone experiencing this problem. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

ClaudiusAbel
I've Been Here Awhile

Ensure that all equipment is turned on. If it is on and the screen is still black, try tuning to channel 03 on your Digital Box (ensure that your TV/VCR are tuned to the correct input setting).

I would say that this article of yours is quite old. It deals with tv/vcr's. Dvd players don't generally go through the digital box they go into the TV.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@ClaudiusAbel,

You're absolutely right about DVD players going directly into the TV and not the box. Believe it or not, some customers still have VCRs that are hooked up in the way the article describes for which that applies. 

On a side note, I've converted all my old VHS to digital. May be a good idea for those still using VCRs and do not know about this Smiley Happy. There are VHS to digital converters that allow you to convert your videos in digital format on your computer. You can then copy them on DVD or keep them on your hard drive. 

RogersHassam 

ClaudiusAbel
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a combo vcr-dvd player also. The end result is acceptable.

Getting off topic.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@ClaudiusAbel,

What model was your Samsung TV that you had to update the software for to fix the issue? We will keep a note of this in case another customer with a similar model is experiencing the issue as well. 🙂

RogersHassam 

HelenP07ca
I've Been Here Awhile

Having this issue right now for about the last few days.. For me its every 2 or 3 minutes.. annoying as....   Its all channels and I have a NEXTBOX and use HDMI cable.   What can I do to get rid of this issue?