Intermittent Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent Black Screen

@Jwh1 wrote:
I have the same intermittent black screen issue. I switched from HDMI cables to coax and it seems to have solved the problem. The HDMI cable being used had been replaced from a Rogers store so don't count on them having a better cable. Hope this helps.

That may get you a picture, but it's no good for HD.  You need HDMI or component video cables for HD picture quality.  Any good HDMI cable should do the trick and can be purchased online or many stores for $2-$20.  Unless you're trying to connect more than 10-15'+, in which case you may need a thicker cable - say 22 ga, or RedMere technology cable, which may cost a bit more.

I'm Here A Lot

My problem is solved finally after 8 months. It is not a question of signal strenght or the type of cable. the problem was compatability in my situation.  I have an LG TV which has 4 HDMI inputs and I had been using HDMI-1 for the connection to the Nextbox and HDMI-2 for the Samsung blue ray player.  Problems started when Rogers did a software update to the Nextbox.  For some reasons that could not be figured out, the TV screen would black out on many occations (Loss of Signal message on the screen) when I turned on any lights or appliances in the house and then come back after.  I had the Nextbox replaced, the cables replaced and all connections remade without results.  I tried other HDMI combinations for the inputs and cables without results.  Finally after I was ready to cancel my service, by luck I was able to duplicate the problems on demand.  It seems the Nextbox now only likes HDMI-2.  The blue ray player works on HDMI-1 but no sound and also works on HDMI-2, -3 & _4 with sound and picture.  HDMI-! works with the Nextbox with sound and picture, but has the black screen issue.

Conclusion: My HDMI-1 on the TV is gone bad.

Solution: Connect Nextbox to HDMI-2 and don't use Blue ray player in any input port at same time.  Replace the TV circuit board to fix HDMI-1.  Dont know if Nextbox caused HDMI-1 to fail, but I got a new Nextbox just in case.

One more thing is that if you dont have the Nextbox turned on before the TV, then the TV will think there is no signal and you will get a black screen.  The new remote that Rogers gave is not quick enough to turn on the Nextbox before the TV when using the master power button.  If you have a black screen problem try turning on the Nextbox first and then the TV.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Doesn't matter if you talk to Rogers. We have been experincing this problem for weeks and it is NOT our home cabling or boxes as it hits all 3 of them and our Internet. Rogers has been dragging their feet to get this fixed and it has come to the point where it is not possible to relax and watch ANYHING on TV due to the constant drops.

I have been on the phone with 2 different levels of service techs @ Rogers only to find that in 2 instances they couldn't even find the original trouble ticket!!

If I didn't already own my legacy Rogers HD boxes I would jump to another provider, but then would be out the 100s of dollars I spent back when I trusted this monopoly!

I'm Here A Lot

Try one more thing.  Have the PVR recording the show when you are watching your shows.  If you are having drops during the time you are recording, you will have some proof what is going on.  If you have a drop on the TV but the PVR playback is okay then you have a TV problem.  I could not believe it either when it was happening to me and would never would have expected the HDMI input on one TV to cause feedback into the whole system until I disconected everything and had only one device going.  What was happening to me and was confusing, was that Rogers was sometimes having network problems at the same time when I was trying to solve my problem, and was impossible to find any cause or duplicate the situation when the Tech support came out to check.  See if the problem stops if you only have one TV connected, and all other cables removed during the testing.

I'm Here A Lot

This isn't going to apply in our situation. ALL our boxes are doing it, the PVR and both HD recievers, as well as signal drops on the internet. Initially, months ago, We would reboot the box to get around a similar problem where the signal would drop on the HD boxes. This trick doesn't resolved the problem at all, it just comes back.

At this point the tech that cam out last week told us that there were other people in the neighborhood reporting the same thing and that he was SUPPOSED to have opened a ticket with 2nd level support @ Rogers. He advised us that we were supposed to hear from them.

I discovered Friday that wasn't the case as the rep I talked to on the phone didn't see any ticket open at all after his visit.

As it is we can't watch anything and relax. The sound and picture foul up every 10 or 15 seconds. Online gaming is almost a joke as the connection drops constantly.

I'm Here A Lot

I know how you feel because I went through the same for 8 months.  In my situation I was having signal loss every few minutes off and on every few seconds or sometimes every few hours.  There was no routine, certain channel or certain time of day.  Rebooting worked for a while until  evenually  I was rebooting every 5 minutes. I noticed that it was happening whenever the Frig, Furnace, A/C or switching any lights, the TV would go black screen.   

The last Tech told me some people are having a black screen problem because they are stacking the Nextbox and it has interference from other devices or they are overheating due to bad air flow.  TheTeck guy could not figure out my problem and said they will taske it to the next level, but just like in your case, they never contacted me again. 

I even phoned Rogers to arrange for service cancelation since it was so bad. I was willing to pay the fee for breaking the contract beacause the TV was that unwatchable.  I talked with my neibour who also has Rogers and he said he has no problems.  That made me all the more Mad, that is why I kept at it trying to resolve the problem myself, even if I been through the routine many times before. I always thought that the Rogers signal was being cut or some kind of powerline interference problem until I made one last effort to eliminate all the connections except for one, and then trying all the HMDI ports one by one.  I dont know why, but in my case the HDMI-1 input port on the TV does not like the to be connected to the Nextbox any more.  Maybe rebooting so many times and unpluging the cables so many times while they were live, caused the HDMI-1 port to finally give up.  Now with the TV connected to HDMI-2 there is no more problems.

Like I said, try it with only one TV at a time. Reset every thing by turning off the power to clear the memory in the TV and the Nextbox first.  Connect the HDMI cable last.  If this works for you then you can connect the other TV to see if your problem resurfaces.

The internet is another story. My internet is also cutting out or very slow sometimes, but internet is on another frequency band and does not affect the TV signal.  It seems that internet slows down when lots of users are on the network at the same time in my area.  Depending on which package you have, Rogers can slow down your connection speed by adjusting the time sharing allowed to you during peak times.  I dont do on line gaming, so it does not bother to me too offten.

I've Been Around

It start going out for a couple second then back to normal last week, now I could access the tvbox menu could change different Chanel just black screen and no sound, this only happen to one of the two box at home

Hello Fvn,

If you're still encountering this issue, please contact us @CommunityHelps and I will further assist.

Thank you!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rickwl2000:

I'm not quite sure why you're posting in this thread. From your recent posts it is highly likely that you have a signal issue in your neighbourhood.  In order to get this rectified, you need to follow up with Rogers, either by phone, or perhaps through Rogers Community Helps here (see link in post 48).  You need to be polite, but firm.

Signal issues are the main cause of problems for people who post on this forum. Please see previous discussions on the topic in posts 39, 37, 35 of this thread.

I'm Here A Lot

I was posting in this tread because I was sharing my experience and solution with others that are having  a problem with black screen, which they believe is a signal problem.  All I am trying to say, is that maybe people should also look for other issues, not just blaming signal issues and blaming Rogers for it. 

I have offered my experience, instead of the standard  "Same Old Answers" that are always given like: Call Rogers.  That kind of post offers no solution, because I am sure that people experiencing the black screen (AKA loss of signal) have already called Rogers the first thing and are still having the problem.

Maybe it could be some other problem, masked as a signal issue, which was the case in my situation. 

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats