Install Camera in Cable Boxes?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Install Camera in Cable Boxes?

In order to keep an eye on my aging dog during the day, and indirectly as an added level of 'security' I've been thinking about getting a camera I can check from my smartphone.  I was thinking about how the Netbox 3 PVR in my living room, and the HD Cable box in my bedroom are already wired to the Internet and positioned where I'd be looking in on her so how great would that be if it were possible to install a camera? I know nothing about the back end technical side to the stuff we use.  I once knew how to access the 'secret menu's' the technicians open when they are here as I was tyring to figure this out on my own first, but can't remember how to open them any more.  I'm great at the front end user stuff, but if this is something that can be done, does anyone know where, how much $, and if that would impact the warranty and/or functionality in a negative way?  I own both my boxes, they are not rented.  I've already got too many things plugged in for electricity, too many devices, too many cables going everywhere, it would be so nice if it is possible to just plug a new attachment in, instead of having to add yet another piece of electronics to the TV stands.  If the answer is no, Rogers should really think about it, because I am willing to bet if it were an option, an awful lot of people who are not interested in a home monitoring system, would opt for something like this; I'd be upgrading 2 boxes right away instead of going and buying someting.  

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Install Camera in Cable Boxes?

Hello @GregoryScott611

There is no such way of doing this... Why don't you get a Arlo security camera which is true wireless. Works on batteries and doesn't need any wires. That's ur only option.

Also yes if u tamper with the boxes it can cause major damage in the software or anything else if u don't know what ur doing. The secret menu won't do anything good as it won't give u the access u want...

I suggest looking into Arlo seeing as u don't want any wires around.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Id also like to chime in.

Even if you could possibly connect a Web Camera of some sort to your Rogers Netbox or Rogers Digital Cable box, The cable box is actually not connected to the actual public "internet" per say. It's connected to a Private IP network via the cable line to the Rogers Head End, and they have some kind of gateway which certain functions can be controlled via the internet which its interconnected to.

And even if you were to overcome this limitation, the IP network is designed for low level commands such as downloading firmware updates, provisioning, and recording controls, so the traffic throughput is probably very limited that it may not be sufficient for sending Camera Video streams, that and you would not get an outside IP address either.

I would take Meowmix'es advise and consider a true security camera solution like Arlo or something else which actually connects to a proper internet connection.

I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for that feedback. I'm going to look into that next. Since posting that I came up with another idea, I am now currently trying to figure out how to watch my MacBook Pro camera from my iPhone regardless of where I go, and ideally for no cost other than what doing so would use up my data usage from my internet provider. I'm not asking you to answer that one, but if you know about that and any good Apps I'd welcome the suggestions there too. By that way, I want to post another messages about something I don't understand for help, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to generate a new post. I can find the red 'new message' tab, but its faded out and nothing happens when I press it. I think my lack of knowledge is really starting to show lol
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for this info too. i wasn't aware of how that connectivity works but I understand what you've said above. I'm not sure if you can see the reply I posted to Meowmix above, but if you can feel free to chime in there too if you have thoughts. Muchly appreciated.
I'm an Advisor

Hello,

I agree with everything said above, and wanted to chime in with this suggestion - check out "Splashtop CamCam" available on the Apple iOS app store.

When coupled with Splashtop Streamer software (free download for Windows PCs), it enables you to turn any camera-equipped laptop into an always-on camera that you can access with your iPad or iPhone (even from outside the home).

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @robindp

While that's a great suggesting, that also means the laptop screen must be up and the laptop to be charging the whole time in order for that to work. Just wanted to say that as many don't and rather not have their laptop charging constantly as it can kill ur battery faster and also meaning that they can't close the laptop or turn it off at any time when using that.

Best to do is buy another third party camera and use that. I use Rogers Smart Home Monitoring and also the Canary Camera at my house. Best of both worlds.
I'm an Advisor

@Meowmix,

This is true, but CamCam allows you to use existing hardware (an old laptop) and is very useful for temporary needs.

For permanent use longer than a few months, I would recommend a wi-fi enabled camera.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @robindp

That is true and i do like that idea my self but many don't want to have their laptop turned on and charging all the time unless they have a useless laptop that they won't use and jusy collecting dust and want to use that but again it will be plugged in the whole time and running. Many don't want that but some do. Also this means anyone with a Blackberry or Android phone can not use this. Many and i mean many still use blackberry and Android so it won't be a suitable solution for them which isn't good. It's only Apple IOS based.

As we all said a WiFi camera for a long term use is best for the OP.
I'm an Advisor

@Meowmix,

I am responding to @GregoryScott611's post:

>> Since posting that I came up with another idea, I am now currently trying to figure out how to watch my MacBook Pro camera from my iPhone regardless of where I go, and ideally for no cost other than what doing so would use up my data usage from my internet provider. I'm not asking you to answer that one, but if you know about that and any good Apps I'd welcome the suggestions there too.

In this case, the OP has expressly stated that he has an iPhone, and implied that he does not mind leaving the laptop plugged in and laptop online. 

I do not discount your suggestion, and agree that using a wireless-enabled camera for long term use is the way to go.