Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

@57 wrote:

@jmcs wrote:

If Rogers no longer offers it but Bell does, the decision is very easy for me.  

I agree. Manage PVR is very important to me too, however, before switching to say Bell Fibe, be aware that:

- They may not have certain channels.

- Bell convert all HD channels to 720P (instead of the original format of 1080i or 720p to the STB) which may result in lower Picture Quality.  The bitrate is also significantly lower, although the compression is done differently to compensate.

- They don't have FTTH in some/many areas, so internet speeds may suffer if you only have FTTN in your neighbourhood, although theoretically you could use Bell Fibe for TV and Rogers for Internet, but you would give up bundle discounts, leverage when negotiating, etc.

I have checked with Bell, and they do carry the channels I watch. Even the reduction of picture quality means very little to me if I don't have the ability to record my shows!  

My biggest motivation to endure the indignities of being a Rogers customer is the bundle prices you point out. Although I have to say that people are always shocked at the amount we pay to Rogers each month. 

The only reason we keep our internet with Rogers (we have had lots of problems) is that I hate to give up my email address. It is very easy to contact friends, but would be incredibly inconvenient to lose my "identify" with all the businesses and software companies, etc, who have my rogers address on file. In hindsight I would have just stuck with my generic email address. 

Rogers Chat has told me that at this point in time they have no plans to pick up the app pvr controls again. Their current focus is on giving us the ability to watch television on a 4 inch screen. Unfortunately, my most frequently watched channel is not even available on Anyplace TV. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Send an e-mail to the Rogers Management Office: RogersMO@rci.rogers.com
I Plan to Stick Around

@WJW2 wrote:

@WJW2 wrote:

I have emailed them and they are very sorry for my frustration and inconvenience. They do understand.

With regard to them taking away my Spotify (they ended something permanently free and replaced it with a 2 year substitute) they assured me that I can still have it if I am willing to pay only $19.95 per month. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@WJW2 wrote:

Done.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh they are always sorry for my frustration and inconvience, and then add some additional comment about dedicated to improving our experience.

As someone who hears the phrase sorry about my illness many times per week, I don't want sympathy or to say one is sorry, my issue is real and there is no need to say you are sorry for something you didn't create (like my illness), but sorry for something your company created - sorry, I don't buy it.

I often say, what about my frustration and inconvience, do you understand and are sorry about - they are usually wrong - and then I take them back to answering the specific questions.

For me at the moment, I will respond to what I have to date -

1.  They removed the feature - and are not returning to the app say some.

2. They point us to the coming soon on the web app as their committment to return the feature, but when I ask about the legal issues of licensing, I ask has Rogers decided to look into their own licensing and programming model, as Comcast told its customer base on XFINITY only a few weeks ago that they are not going to sign off a licensing agreement and are committement to fighting and winning on this one.

So - Rogers may be committed, but so is Cox, and Shaw along with Rogers, but their hands are all tied at the moment, so all I know is that an important programming feature has been removed (in my case disability related).

Guess we will have to wait and see, but in the meantime, we all have to decide what we want to pay for and receive in services.

A comment on 720, thanks @57 for those details - my research on Fibe is also the reality that they can't go too high on the density scale when the Internet speeds are low for many, but they are working with that one, so I can only deal with what is in front of me and as you say, do your full research.

For me, I have been running on 720 since I read the post just to see what I thought - don't notice it - remember, I have vision issues, and I had the same discussion back when 4K came out, makes no difference to me whether 4K, 1080p, 1080i, or 720 - now yes I do notice 480, but not on my two SD TV's.   I only own the HD because we wanted a bigger TV.  My wife didn't notice that the picture was different, at least not yet, I haven't told her.

An interesting thing on my bill this time, in relation to my plan ending, but applies to this issue too.

Our records show that your term for your service ... ends on aug 31, 2018. Once your service ends, hour service will automatically contiue on a month to month basis ...

Alternatively you may choose to switch your plan, change your service provider, or cancel your service without penalty.

Now there is a very honest choice option, and also applies when they change the services and contract too - we have the option of refusing the change and cancel your service, or change provider, sometimes with penalty, but sometimes not depending upon the applicable terms.

So for those like me who carefully research options, I say do look closely - We can't predict anything when it comes to TV, in my opinion, and I don't count on getting a straight story from anyone at Rogers - they really can't comment too much on the Tivo issue as it is in courts and under appeal, and if they are trying to build their own option outside of the Comcast model to do this - it is possible, the old app did it, but it will cost time, money and resources, when they are highly committed to getting IPTV out there come ..ll or high water.

So I take the committment stated on the coming soon with a grain of salt, and I also view the absence of any official comment here on this issue, to make it clear that Rogers does not want to have this discussion - it is a no win for them and for us.  But we do have options, and my options become clearer with every day that goes by.  With this, and end of the current discount on my plan, I have thinking to do for sure.

And like the silence on the privacy issue last month, and now silence and the total disregard for any comprehension of just what an inconvience this is in many different ways for customers - we each have our reasons why we are speaking up and have been since the web site came out before the app changes, and before this issue.  It is a commulative issue now, showing no regard for our "inconvience" at all, and that statement, you can still program with your remote - that is not an alternative to the lost capabilities, and then to tell us about how we can watch TV on our computer, my small phone screen or a tablet I don't own anywhere, give me a break.

When I go on vacation for example, I watch the TV available in my room.  Now if I had capability to stream HDMI to the tv in the room, maybe I would use it, or to stream my recordings, but when on vacation, I TV is not my priority except to maybe check the news or weather and I can do that on the Internet in the free WIFI in the room.

So enough of the meaningless sorry and no acknowledgement of how we have described the inconvience and how it may significantly impact our life.  But if that is how Rogers wants to work with me, I do have choices, and that choice is coming soon.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh and don't forget to contact the Star, or CBC while we are at it.  CBC Go public, and Toronto Star, Ellen Roseman, I am sure they don't mind taking on another Rogers customer concern.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

It has been mentioned that this is caused by a patent dispute.  Is that patent even valid in Canada?  There are a lot of bad patents that have been issued in the U.S., but not elsewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

Agree about vacations - I watch VERY little TV when not at home.

The important thing about the App was NOT watching TV but setting up recordings on the PVR,

I almost never use RAPTV, no need for it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

Oh and don't forget to contact the Star, or CBC while we are at it.  CBC Go public, and Toronto Star, Ellen Roseman, I am sure they don't mind taking on another Rogers customer concern.

Bruce

I already contacted Ellen Roseman and she said she'd forward my complaint to the Office of the President.  Others should contact her too, as there's strength in numbers.  I have also sent my own email to the Office of the President.

I Plan to Stick Around

I will be writing to the President as its not clear who in the C suite is actually responsible for the App.

CC Roseman probably a good idea too.

And I will be asking for a written reply.  The management office seems to want to set up a call of some sort.  That may be a good idea but in fairness I think they should have my questions in writing first.

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM