Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

I am so disappointed that this feature is going away. I will seriously switch to Bell if they don't bring this feature back.

Unacceptable to take this away from us.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

If you feel strongly enough then you should consider any and all of

- engage the call centre, get escalated to the management office 

- write to the senior executives ( let a little light inside their bubble)

- use social media (alas I don't Twit but hopefully there's a storm brewing there)

- look at alternatives (I'm no fan at all of Bell, but Rogers may be converting me) 

there are are two basic scenarios,..

A.  Rogers has a plan.  We just have to get them to open the kimono, give us some realistic idea of what to expect when.  Otherwise they will be buried in backlash, loss rates etc

B.  Rogers has no plan.  Then the board should be asking hard questions of senior management. 

The inane comment in the email about them not taking away our remotes has me leaning to scenario B.  That email does not read part of a well thought out plan.  

I'm a Senior Contributor

Not a single comment from a rogers rep. That tells me everything I need to know! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi  we have never heard anything straight up on the one web browser first, then the coming soon, the change in the apps, then the only thing they did acknowledge was streaming agreements on android cast, apple cast, etc.

But never a peep about the disappearing functionality as they move forward with the new service (could be coincidence Smiley Happy) or the known legal issues, but that one is also impacted by legal issues,  but I still say, that they could say, due to decisions by Comcast the holder of the licenses for the use of the upcoming Ignite TV product, it is unfortunately, impacting some of our legacy apps while we move forward to the full implementation.  We continue to look into this and will update as we learn more.

Drop the coming soons, and cold messages where you tell us we lose something, no explanation, and then say good news of somthing we already new that have nothing to do with each other as that functionality has nothing to do with each other.

I think they think their spin will run over the heads of many users, but clearly not all.  Unfortunate part is that this functionality was a clearly important feature for travellers, and people who are challenged by the Navigatr platform, or have various types of disabilities, but their response to disabilities, as shown with font size and close captioning back on navigatr showed me that when they make decisions, they don't place accommodation high on their list of factors to determine next steps and critical items to maintain in place.  But when did they last run a change past a customer, let alone a person with disabilities.

I am getting cyncal again - navigatr all over again - they really do not learn.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Management isn’t thinking at all!!! This app was one of the reasons I was able to convince relatives to sign up for Rogers Tv. I was waiting for them to catch up to Bell because Bell’s app not only lets you record from away from home but you can also watch your programs taped on the PVR away from home. The loss of ability to even record is definitely going to send thousands of customers over to Bell for TV cable. It’s ridiculous that such a company with huge pockets and all the resources can’t figure out how to make the app better and keep this service. We can complain til we are blue in the face but until we all switch over to Bell for the services Rogers should be offering but now are to lazy to, they won’t respond. We have to hit them in their wallets to get their attention.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, other than the fact that I am not a big fan of Bell, and I have a long history with Rogers, I am hard pressed to compare Rogers to Bell product feature to product feature and suggest Rogers as an alternative at this time.

I now say,to people, research well what you want, and be prepared to walk at any time if you so choose.

Rogers operates like as if we won't leave, and their financial data seems to support that, although they have had steady losses in some areas, but they keep their cash flow up by promoting more expensive bundled services with less options available (in particular TV), yes Internet is doing fine, but for me, I only ever use 60 or lower - we are only 2 people in our house, Home phone is a give away, as with Bell too if you bundle them all, Wireless is keeping revenue up with more data being pushed - again, I am an oddity, I don't use data on my phone, I am house bound, so WIFI is my life, and the push to share everything plans and they have actually like all providers not been selling as much phone hardware anymore.

But TV has been a disaster for quite a while.

And I agree, only if a lot start walking will Rogers clue in and make changes,

I know there are many hear who will say they are with Rogers because they had issues with the other guys, but you will hear the same stories the other direction (it is all anecdotal stories, not analyzable data - although they do have the data to do those analyses and do respond when they feel they need to), but you will hear good stories hear, but I can find as many good stories from Bell users too.  On a basic level, there is not a huge difference between the two companies, they both rank highest for complaints to CCTC and lowest in surveys on customers service and satisfaction, and with three new CEO's in a number of years, things don't seem to change in the Rogers world.  If anything on the TV side, it seems to get worse.  But in my case, I have options here - I am most likely going cord cutting in particular now that Crave has a broader range of HBO and showtime selection (may be a season late, but that is ok with me), and CBS All access just released into Canada too.  There are a lot of older TV  series, tied into movie collections on there that are of great interest to me - I am 61, and there are lots of shows from the past I enjoy.

So the options keep growing, while Rogers tries to not impact our legacy services too much, and trying to keep moving on their long delayed IPTV offerings, which many people seem interested in, but I am not one of them - I watch TV on my TV same as I did 50 years ago, either on Cable, but now there are other options.

Good night, Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Well that does it!  Last straw!  Rogers keeps taking features away bit by bit and yet their prices go up and up.  Time to look to Bell.  It'll be a pain to switch but hey, not my fault if they are continually taking their customers for granted.  The worst thing about this notice is how ridiculous they sound when they say don't worry, you can still program your PVR with your remote... . ! The whole point about having the app is to be able to record programs you might miss because you're away from home!  

I Plan to Stick Around

@jmcs wrote:

"Don't feel bad because we're not taking away your remote."

Really? A lot of good that remote will do me if I am in Timbuktu.

I have always found the Home Edition App useful when I am away from home. Someone mentions a good tv show? I could pick up my phone and tape it immediately.  Reading the newspaper and a new show is mentioned? There was no need to go to another room and turn on the television.

In fact, sometimes I even found it easier to use the app if I were sitting right in front of the tv with the remote beside me.

I rarely use my PVR remote to program it.  I used the web app for years and, when that was taken away, my tablet or cell phone.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I went to Rogers Share a Concern and laid out my feelings on the discontinuing of this feature and the web app for managing your PVR, bringing up Comcast/Tivo patent dispute and suggesting Rogers bite the bullet and pay Tivo royalties in order to keep customers from leaving. I  received a prompt reply today from a Manager, starting out,

I understand your concern 
regarding Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition. I absolutely would like to 
assist you further with your concern. 

>From time to time, we do need to make changes to our products and 
services to refocus our efforts on creating more value for our customers
in other areas. We do have an internal team that is working to improve 
the new Rogers Anyplace TV service.  We do wish to include additional 
features like adding PVR recording functionalities or adding channel 
search options to the service. 

Really? What a politician!

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

From what I see on the Rogers Anyplace TV App, theres a "Recordings" menu section that when you click on it says..

"Coming Soon: Soon youll be able to manage your recordings from your desktop and mobile devices, but for now, you can still use the Rogers Anyplace TV Home edition app to record your favourites."

So i'm GUESSING that on May 31st, that app will be killed in favour of this one which is good as i firmly believe there is no need for 8 different apps if you can share all the functionality within one.

Topic Stats