Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Its quite interesting.  If you look at the Senior Management team and their responsibilities on the Rogers Investor Relations web site, its not at all clear, at least to me, who would be responsible for this other than the President as overall in charge.  (Its also interesting that the word TV does not appear anywhere!) .

The choices are:

Interim President, Consumer.... As interim President, Consumer, Phil Hartling is responsible for the company’s Consumer wireless and residential business, including strategy, product development, marketing customer experience, sales channels and customer care operations, pricing and customer base management.

or

Chief Digital Officer... Lisa Durocher joined Rogers as Senior Vice President of Digital on August 29, 2016, and was appointed Chief Digital Officer on June 20, 2017. She is responsible for the company’s digital strategy, design, planning and development for all digital platforms across consumer and enterprise.

or

Chief Information Officer... As Chief Information Officer, John leads a team of IT professionals who are accountable for operational IT plans across the business, and play a critical role in the delivery of the company’s customer experience and growth agenda.

or

Chief Technology Officer... Jorge Fernandes joined Rogers as Chief Technology Officer in February, 2018. Jorge is responsible for the planning, design, engineering, implementation and operations of the Rogers wireless and wireline networks.

Any suggestions, anyone?   (Im skipping over Legal and Financial, they may set the parameters of this mess but its not up to them to find solutions).

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

I was told by a senior management member (I have reported this before), that the decision had been made back when we first saw the Web version on only one browser, and the loss of feature sets for the current legacy app functionality was a decision to dedicate resources to moving to the new TV model rather than dedicating resources to adapting the old technology while moving forward.

We are caught in this never ending push to catch up on the TV front to the other IPTV offerings after they failed first with Espial and Navigatr, then failed in house, then moved to Comcast which we now know has its own implementation issues to be dealt with, not a creation of Rogers, just the reality, but in the meantime, we continue to watch our service on the legacy model collapse as we speak.

I wonder what people moving over based on price, or customers service issues feel about the change when they get handed old clunker HD boxes, no new boxes, only refurbished are given, and then find out the limitations that comes with their TV, on the promise that something new is coming.

I  know I am not happy with the changes and pricing structures as an existing customer, wonder how the new customers feel once they experience their TV experience and Rogers has nothing to offer that is better than they had, and just wait until they have to renew that new customer offer.

No, this is not well thought out - they look like they are flying by the seat of their pants, and they have been struggling on the TV side for quite a while now.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

The call centre is not up to speed on this one.

My specific questions to the senior management team are (not yet poliched and organised), that Id like answers on the record...

1.  when was the decision made to kill the mobile At Home app (and why was it only officially announced today to consumers, 2 weeks before the cut off)

2.  what would the licence fees be per annum to continue the current app temporarily

3.  what was the original business case for going with Comcast rather than in-house development

4.  did their due diligence on the Comcast deal check Comcasts licenses etc, and if not who got fired?

5.  what argument do they have for not switching to Bell

6.  are any of the senior management team not shut-ins and therefore have some idea of the impact of this change

7.  this is a significant reduction in service and the "value" of a PVR; have they considered rebates to cash purchasers or reductions in monthly fees.

8.  when will they be able to announce a coherent plan to address this key functionality?

I Plan to Stick Around

Attn: Office of the President 
333 Bloor St. E 
Toronto, ON M4W 1G9

I Plan to Stick Around

I am sure that you only said what we are all thinking.
I've Been Around

Isn’t that just special!!! So now if I am late getting home and don’t wish to miss a minute of a show I don’t have any other options available to record remotely. I have had so many Rogers cable outages for several days this year and now this! Time to revisit other cable providers. I really am disliking Rogers.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Very well put:

A couple of responses that are known.

@RichardF wrote:

The call centre is not up to speed on this one.

My specific questions to the senior management team are (not yet poliched and organised), that Id like answers on the record...

1.  when was the decision made to kill the mobile At Home app (and why was it only officially announced today to consumers, 2 weeks before the cut off)

2.  what would the licence fees be per annum to continue the current app temporarily

3.  what was the original business case for going with Comcast rather than in-house development

Answer - they first tried to achieve it with Espial on Cisco boxes, but Cisco pulled out of the set top business and sold all their holdings to Technicolor (the 4K PVR is Technicolor).  When Espial failed  miserably to even provide a useable interface, and then Rogers made the decision not to go with Espial's RDK platform, which pretty much killed any future progress since Espial is framed totally around their RDK to provide both legacy QAM as well as IPTV platforms.  The Nextbox from Cisco was designed to support either QAM or IPTV, but once they sold out, technicolor already had their own platform - Cisco had their own IPG (guide) directly working with their firmware and no middleware, but Espial claimed in a marketing video that was found online that they had considerable experience in integrating legacy and IPTV and OTT solutions onto Cisco boxes - that would have optimized Rogers investment in the whole Nextbox line that replaced Scientic Atlanta which Cisco had bought out - that transition allowed Rogers to stay with older SA equipment, while moving to Nextbox and the future hope of IPTV alongside legacy.

That all fell apart most likely due to Cisco's decision to get out, and why would Technicolor who had their own design and boxes want to move Espial into their mix when they were in the middle of transitioning Cisco to their model.

Then Rogers tried to do that in house - and it was successful in the lab setting in house, but when they took it to the wild of the Internet, it did not scale, so they killed it - not known whether it was that it was the backend video and delivery servers, or trying to put it out on a changing upgrading hybrid Fibre-Coax and related switching and protocols, or a combination of them all, but it would not scale.

So they announced late 2016, Shaw did January 2017, Videotron in Quebec (Earlier, I mistakenly said Quebecor, who owns videotron), announced August 2017 of their intent to go with Comcast, but no further announcements were made. Cox communication announced in summer 2016 the intent, and now Comcast, Cox and Charter communications are pooling equipment and resources.

All companies have been hit by the licensing issues of Comcast (XFinity is Comcast's core business - the others are all license buyers).

The rumours about the licensing issues first hit the ground late last summer and were fully known by the end of the fall.  It was all pretty hush hush, as Tivo tried first to get Comcast to sign back onto their guide since Comcast went with Graceland, but Comcast, unlike the other providers in the US declined, and Tivo came back with suits that are now being appealed, and now Tivo has put out more claims which if they win will impact more functionality on Ignite and X1 - example freezing on one device and picking up on another is one of the big ones, plus voice control - voice control could be built to be run on Google or Android as an alternative, Comcast has done their own version, but Tivo hit back again - those have not hit the courts yet.

So, Rogers is kind of backed into a corner, they have upgraded their networks to move to the all  in one gateway to support TV, Home Phone, Internet, and Security systems, and that is all primarily based in the Comcast models, but only TV is impacted by Tivo licensing.

So, unlikely that the four companies that joined on in taking licensed X1 implementations were fully aware of what was going to come down.  Not sure when those applications hit the courts, but ;most companies were into contracts, and Comcast was marketing their solution like crazy, and got three Canadian companies and one american one to sign on, although Comcast already had realtionships with Cox and they originally designed it all on XFinity, and they still run legacy and new systems with them.

4.  did their due diligence on the Comcast deal check Comcasts licenses etc, and if not who got fired?

Who knows - doubt we will ever know, but great question - I suspect they did some, but they got caught in the Cisco change up, and then the failure of Espial to go forward with the Cisco move, and the in house failed solution, and probably a great sales pitch by Comcast when they were completely backed into a corner in that they were determined that they had to catch up to Bell.

5.  what argument do they have for not switching to Bell

I am sure they have lots, but Bell also has arguments, most of both sides, are really fluff, but there are some serious and significant differences right now, that all Rogers can say, is it is coming.

Hope they don't try rushing the current testing, that would be real risky, but they are at risk if people decide to walk over this combined with the continued failure on the TV side - we have really seen nothing significant but failures in over 4 years.

6.  are any of the senior management team not shut-ins and therefore have some idea of the impact of this change

In my experience (I am a shut in two) - I don't watch TV in the bedroom, but my wife does now and then.  I have PTSD with very significant sleep and anxiety issues, and I will lie in bed and sometimes a distraction is to check manage my PVR and see if things are up to date, plan what I am going to watch, and decide if I will just get up and watch recordings - I also use it to bug my wife by changing the channel on her at times on either box - got to keep my sanity - a trivial thing, but I found it was something that could entertain me at times, but then again, she does it to me too with the remote.

I don't think management is concerned at all about impact, or if they are, they keep their cards well hidden, but the reality is that via the Internet, we have all found out about Cisco, Espial, Technicolor, impacts of browser technology they didn't plan for and the list goes on.  They keep things very quiet, but the answers or suggestions of answers are all out there on the Internet.  That is where I got everything I know about what has happened with TV along with many others.  Yet, you think you can ever get them to admit any of it - not to date, except for the one senior project implementor I got who told me that it was a deliberate decision to go forward to build the web apps and phone apps to support X1 and to put no resources into the concurrent changes to keep the legacy software running alongside the new interface.

This is what this shut in does in his spare time - way too much of it when my wife is off earning money - I investigate and keep asking questions, then come here.  And years of research and knowledge of the industry allows me to find information when it is available.

7.  this is a significant reduction in service and the "value" of a PVR; have they considered rebates to cash purchasers or reductions in monthly fees.

Scarcasm here - Dream on - they need the cash flow to pay for finishing this whole thing out, and then hope that people will come to them - like field of dreams they are operating on build it and they will come.  But they need to remember, build it poorly, and they may go somewhere else. 

If people start leaving, they may start offering one time courtesy credits to keep us, but for the PVR issue, then they would have to admit that they are responsible for this mess.

8.  when will they be able to announce a coherent plan to address this key functionality?

- probably with the new model, for now, personally, I don't think so.

Last piece of research - I checked the company that produced the Home app we use - they now make apps to integrate access to over the top services, and is available on i-store, and also as web plug ins.

They don't produce the mobile app that Rogers uses, and the version that Rogers uses is on the 3.3.0 platform, which came out in 2012 if I remember what I read - that would mean it has been on that platform since it first arrived prior to Navigatr, so prior 2016 in the web app, and not sure the mobile app.

Current version is 3.8 platform, so doubt they have any support for that app, except in house, or contracted in with no support on the old version.  May also account for why back in 2016 when the Navigatr rollout occurred, the same app went off the air for almost a year.  They would have had to go at that one and the interface to the Navigatr PVR interface and changes in Cisco firmware - streaming is straight forward - it just sends the server media from Rogers to the Internet to us - the manage your app has to be written to work with the PVR and any major changes in PVR functionality would require major rewrite for the app.

They can't use manage PVR technology on the Ignite platform right now, so we won't even see it on the new platform, but it is available on some of the cloud PVR, but Xfinity charges an additional fee for that functionality in the states.  We don't know what things will look like here.  They can still use the legacy apps, but do they have the resources to keep it going - my guess is no.

So that is my take on it.  Don't like it, but this seems to be how Rogers does business these days. Just my opinion.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

We are all unhappy with Rogers killing all possibility of remote PVR management. Just go to Share a Concern and tell Rogers how you feel.  It's a competitive market and Rogers seems to be losing ground judging by all the complaints. 

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

As I said, I'm working on letter to the C-suite. This has the signs of a perfect storm of 

- poor strategic planning

- too much focus on low cost

- bad luck (dealing with that is where management really earns their money)

- sloppy execution 

- lack of customer focus

- terrible communications strategy. 

It will be an interesting insight into their planning to see what retention tactics they have lined up if this starts driving people to Bell.

Really glad I'm renting my PVR and didn't buy.

Migh be a good Ivey case study!

I Plan to Stick Around

Removing this important functionality so matter-of-factly is bound to upset many customers.  As it appears to be a licensing issue, Rogers may have elected to pay the charge and maintain the capability, but instead decided to remove this functionality.  At the very least, Rogers should implement a one-month look ahead view of the Guide rather than just the current one-week.  In the earlier days we had a two-week view but with the remote programming capability, we were reduced to a one-week look ahead.  Given the busy lives of Rogers customers, Rogers should be providing us with the flexibility of recording remotely or having a longer view of the Guide for recording from home.

Topic Stats