IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

IgniteTV Surround Sound

Hello!  First post...

Long time Rogers customer, new Ignite subscriber.  Any Ignite customers having trouble getting surround sound (DDS5.1) to work from these Ignite TV boxes?  In the settings, I have tried both Auto and Expert (forced surround sound), but neither work.

My connection is not HDMI direct to my surround receiver - it only has optical (toslink/SPDIF) input.  My Panasonic TV has optical output.  I have DDS5.1 when using the smart TV for Netflix playback - not from the Rogers Netflix app.  I also tried using an audio extractor/splitter - same results.

Thoughts?

*** Edited Labels ***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

Many TVs do not allow for DD5.1 "passthrough" from external sources.  They do provide DD5.1 for sources "inside" the TV like OTA TV or TV apps.

However, most recent TVs do allow for passthrough with the appropriate settings in the TV's audio menu.  Check out the TV's audio menu to ensure it's not set to PCM, etc.  Here's an FAQ on the topic - see the bolding.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

If your TV won't allow for DD5.1 passthrough, you may be able to purchase an external device which allows for HDMI passthrough but also splits out an optical output that you can feed to the AVR.  Be aware that these sometimes have resolution limitations (1080P) or audio limitations as well (2 channel).  Make sure you get one that does what you want.

Another more expensive option would be to purchase a new AVR that has the appropriate HDMI inputs and outputs.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had exactly that when I first got Ignite TV. My newer Samsung 4k TV would not provide DD5.1 passthrough to my older 1080 AVR Denon 790. I ended up getting a new 4K AVR Denon S730 and Ignite TV works great with the DD5.1

Sorry no optical with the Xi6.

Good Luck

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the feedback.

Guess I will put new AVR on my wishlist.  Will try the audio extractor device again to see if it suits as a temporary fix.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DDave_ca wrote:

... Will try the audio extractor device again to see if it suits as a temporary fix.

Should work temporarily and you can always invoke DPLII on the AVR to give surround sound (even through the TV). It's not quite as good as discreet DD5.1, but it's not bad.

Most TVs may default to 2-channel audio for passthrough, however, I found in my optimization travels that most TVs did have a setting under HDMI or audio menu that does allow for DD5.1 as outlined in my FAQ link provided earlier. You just need to find it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite and surround receiver   

Sound works after playing with options, found code for my Yamaha receiver and now it powers on and off....constantly have to reboot Xi6 to then work properly??? Should this remote not turn on Tv/Receiver and box all at once???? Also thought the box was on all the time so it should only have to turn on tv and receiver, this is a huge pain and also Harmony does not support the Rogers Xi6 fully yet!!! This is my main tv and watched all the time, if the rogers system is not going to support surround and get proper hook ups whats the sense?   I don't know to many people that don't have surround sound on there main big tv so rogers should have looked at this issue... Anyone else with this issue??

I Plan to Stick Around

I have my Ignite box hooked up to Denon receiver to my LG 4k TV. Everything works great. The remote turns on/off both the receiver and the TV. I get DD+ sound from the Ignite box.

I also have a Harmony and I choose the Comcast Xi6 box and it seems to have the functions on the remote ... although I usually use the Rogers Ignite remote when watching TV, use the Harmony for BluRay player, Shield and Roku boxes.

I've Been Around

I have an LG OLED TV and use the Sonos Playbase for sound. I also use a HDMI Switch with4 inputs and one output. It also has an optical audio out. I was running to optical cable to the Sonos and using the optical out on the TV to run to my headphones which I use when I don't want the Sonos on. I was also using the 4K PVR box for cable. Everything ran perfectly.

I decided to switch to Ignite and this is when the problems started. It will only let me use the stereo setting in audio for the sound to the Sonos. The auto detect and Pro modes don't work at all. I ended up having to disconnect the optical out from the HDMI switch and then use the optical out on the TV to run the Sonos.

I suspect that the auto detect feature is hitting the wall going thru the HDMI switch because it sees hdmi and optical out ports. Think the only solution is for the Ignite Box manufacturer to change the software and let me decide which audio i want to use.

Anyone else run into the problem ?

I've Been Around

Re: Ignite TV Surround Sound

Ignite TV + sound bar control problems?

I've had Ignite TV for a few months now. Recently, I got a soundbar to hook up to my TV.

I set the Ignite remote up to control the soundbar audio (the same way I set the Ignite remote to control powering on and off the TV). The Ignite remote works fine turning the volume up and down on the soundbar but now I'm having issues turning the TV and soundbar on/off using the Ignite remote. There's no rhyme or reason either as to when it will work and when it won't. Often, the Ignite remote will turn the soundbar on but not the TV. Or if the TV/soundbar are on, the Ignite remote will turn the soundbar off but not the TV.

Anyone encountered this problem or know how to help? Is there anyway to set up the remote so it can reliably turn the TV/soundbar on/off consistently?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV Surround Sound

It takes a couple of seconds for the signals to get sent to the devices. Make sure you're pointing the remote at all the devices for the required period of time. Some people expect the signals to be sent instantly and move the remote before the signals have been sent to all the devices.  On the old remotes you could see the lights flash at the top as the signals were being sent. I'm not sure if the Ignite remote does this.  I don't have Ignite.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation