IR Extender for Next Box 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IR Extender for Next Box 3.0

Cisco 4642HD set-top, looking for IR Connector.

I'm not tech savvy but would appreciate help in determining which IR connector is needed for the Cisco 4642HD set top. I installed a wall mount TV and would like to hide the Cisco 4642HD receiver behind the TV, but was told that I need a IR receiver in order to use my remote, total length of wire needed is 2 feet (from rear of 4642 to top of TV. 

My son has told me that I need a 38-56kHz Infrared  Sensor Cable with a 3.5mm Jack, if so, would any brand work,  as well, does anyone have a recommendation? Is there any programing involved once I plug in the 3.5 mm end in the rear of the receiver, or any special installation procedure other then mount the end on top or below the TV so it's visible to the remote?

Thanks 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i am aware, there is nothing extra you would need to do.. it just sort of duplicates the functions of what is on the front IR pannel.

I have had some people I remember say they did have some luck with 3rd party ones.

But this doc lists the Cisco brand ones.
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Accessories/78-4014665-01_D.pdf

Unfortunately.. cisco is no longer making any new boxes as far as I am aware.. and these extenders are EOL.. so may be hard to find..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not that hard to find, actually. Search on Kijiji for Rogers IR extender in Mississauga. I know from personal experience that this one works.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty

I'm unable to find the Cisco brand IR emitters/repeaters online, therefore I was looking for aftermarket which seems to have a lot to select from. In the question section, I've located several that state they do and they don't work with the Cisco 4642HD receiver, therefore I'm getting mixed reviews. 

sammyinthesouth. 

I'm located in Brampton and did check Kijiji, and found ir emitters that are both priced higher than Amazon.ca and don't clearly state that they're compatible with the Cisco 4642HD, only the Nextbox 3.0 which is not what I have. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nickel11 :  Instead of looking for an IR extender specifically for the 4642, you can search for IR extenders on the web that have an "eye" on one end which you would mount in a "visible" location and a "sender" on the other end that attaches to the front of the 4642 where the "eye" is that normally receives the IR signal.

Many of these have the option for more than one "cable" so they can be used with other hidden equipment like an AVR, BD player, etc if you have them.  This sort of generic IR extender would also be useable if you get rid of your 4642 in the future.  The only thing you need to be aware of when mounting the "eye" is that these can sometimes be more susceptible to IR interference from the TV when mounted close by. See the following post on that topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-l...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The sensor is mounted on the corner of my TV screen, near the TV sensor.  So, I just point my remote at the TV, and both the TV sensor and the IR extender sensor receive the signal.

The other end of the extender is a 3.5 mm jack that plugs into the IR port in the back of my Nextbox 3.

I don't have a Nextbox 4K

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Since the 4642HD will be mounted right behind the wall mounted TV I read that the type of emitter that's best suited would be the one that plugs into the receiver due to TV interference. In other words, I'd like to stay clear of the covering of the eye of the 4642. I also purchased an IR emitter but it didn't work as I now know it's a different frequency, hence the post to this thread.  

sammyinthesouth

Your emitter is for the Nextbox 3.0, I'm told the one for the 3.0 won't work with the Cisco 4642HD which means, I'm told the one you have won't work on mine. 

I had no idea this was so complicated for a non tech savvy like me. Will any 38-56kHz IR Receiver work such as the ones below. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0107LT77S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2P71T2R9F3X04&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LY0LOGR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1EWV8S9X641S1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2P71T2R9F3X04&psc=1