IR Extender for Next Box 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: IR Extender for Next Box 3.0

Another option is to exchange their old IR remote for the new Rogers RF remote.

Its currently the standard remote fornthe 4K boxes, but is also compatible with the NB3.0.

You can exchange your IR remote for the RF model at any Rogers store.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

tech support tells me that they do not use IR for the new 3.0 box ....which I find strange.....and that the new Champion remote fixes this issue. I tried to tell her that my Nextbox is in the other room from my theater but she didn't get it.

I asked straight out where the IR sensor is on the front of the box and she said it didn't have one.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

where did you attach the sensor on the front of the NextBox and do you have the new 4K box

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can tell you I personally own a Rogers Nextbox 3, and the IR remote and the extender gadget works with it 100%..

The extender gadget plugs into a 3.5 mm RCA jack at the back of the Nextbox 3, so the signals go directly in, and not through a traditional IR receiver 'eye'.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Mike. The extender for the Nextbox 3 does NOT use an IR receiver 'eye'. Rather it has a 3.5 mm jack that plugs into the back of the Nextbox 3. BTW, even tho older versions of the Nextbox also have the same jack at the back, it is DISABLED, so you have to use an extender with an IR receiver eye that attaches to the front of the older boxes.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers RF remote is a nice unit, BUT....

If you have a setup at home in which you've got multiple AV devices attached to your TV (e.g. Rogers box, DVD player, blu-ray player. powered speakers, amplifier, etc, THEN

the other devices are very likely controlled with an IR remote.

So, if you want to use a single remote (perhaps something like the Logitech Harmony remote), those remotes typically use ONLY IR.

So swapping your old Rogers IR remote for a new Rogers RF remote really doesn't do you much good!!

And if you want to hide your various units, including your Rogers box, in a cabinet or behind a wall, you'll STILL need an IR extender gadget.

Hope this info helps.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, yeah if you want to control multiple units hidden, this remote isnt the best for it.
Really overall.. its a very BASIC universal remote.. if you were wanting to go for good control of multiple, like you sugested, is something like the logitech remotes.

Logitech actually carries ones which are non IR, but with an IR blaster.  
So that you could put all the equipment hidden, with the blaster there, and the remote talk to it.

The rogers remote, is good mostly for the case of the general only TV & rogers box setup.  You could have the rogers box more hidden, and only have the TV visible.
The remote would then work on IR for the TV, and  RF for the rogers box.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So just got this box and have it in another room with a surround sound system and an ir remote system to keep my TV room neat no wires or boxes just a TV on the wall. Now the ir system does not work with the NextBox because it's rf signal. So I guess my question is if it says it can work without line of sight and through a wall why doesn't it work through the wall? It not far from the couch maybe 10ft? Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You're right, and that works if you want to put only your Rogers box in a cabinet or behind a wall.

However, if you have multiple devices you need to control, and they're not all RF, then you still need something like a LOGITECH remote, AND an IR extender.......

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@djGorillaman wrote:

Now the ir system does not work with the NextBox because it's rf signal.

The NextBox is not RF.  It can either be IR or RF, so it should function perfectly well using IR if you want it that way, provided you have "unpaired" it with the RF remote.   If you previously "Paired" it with the RF remote you need to "unpair" it per the RF remote instructions.

Of course everything needs to be properly programmed in the remote you're using. Which remote are you using? If a Harmony and an IR extender, you should be just fine provided you have the Harmony properly programmed.  If you're using the Rogers remote, that should also function perfectly well with an extender.  Of course it doesn't have all the funtionality and "one button" access of say a Harmony.