cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 9865 (NB3) running Navigatr firmware and I also utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", as well as RAPTV on my iPad. The Rogers IPG has never been very good, but most of the time it records most of my scheduled recordings. Since January 2016 (post Navigatr?) the IPG has become increasingly less reliable.  Here's a list of recent issues.

1. Before the change to DST the IPG was "incorrect" by one hour for all the scheduled recordings after the time change, as well as the programmes shown in the guide the following week. This is very confusing for people. It's also unnecessary since SARA firmware doesn't do this (I also have 8300HD PVRs.)

2. After the change to DST, programmes that were recorded on the PVR prior to the time change showed as being recorded at times different from when they were actually recorded.  Not only that, but the "recording time" would be different depending on which way you accessed the information. On the PVR itself it would be off by 1 hour. On AnyPlace it would be off by 5 hours. On RAPTV it would be off by 4 hours.

3. This week the daily recordings don't seem to be scheduling properly.  Only 1-2 days instead of 4-5. (And yes, I am aware that sometimes the guide "catches up" with these sorts of issues, but this week it hasn't and recordings have been missed because of it)

4.  I have a scheduled series recording for "Edwardian Farm" on TVO 2AM Tuesday.  The Navigatr IPG shows the programme as "Wartime Farm" with the description for an Edwardian Farm episode.  On AnyPlace or RAPTV it shows as "Edwardian Farm".  If I hadn't noticed, I would have missed recording it on my PVR due to a totally incorrect title on the 9865 IPG.

5. The PVR/AnyPlace/RAPTV uses "name based recording". The problem is that the names of the programmes are constantly changing.  This means that series recordings are missed even if one letter of the name of the programme changes. This has been going on for roughly 11 years now.  As an example, Mercer Report may become The Mercer Report.   "The Fifth Estate" has been listed about 3-4 different ways during the past 2 months!  Rogers, get your IPG provider to give us consistent programme titles. Or write proper firmware that would circumvent these issues. TiVo knows how to...

6. Many of the programmes have "generic" information in the programme description instead of what's actually airing.  For example instead of stating who the guest is on "Mansbridge One on One" it simply states that "Peter interviews Canadians"  There are similar examples for almost all interview programming and late night programming.  I do understand that this information is not always available, but it usually is and the IPG provider is missing information that's available in many places on the web.

7. Currently on Smithsonian Channel (540).  It shows TBA for the entire week.  This happens often on this and other channels..

8. For the Formula One race this weekend, there were several pre and post-race programmes. When I set these to record they showed properly on the 9865, however, on AnyPlace/RAPTV they showed totally incorrectly - as NCAA basketball or SportsCentre.  How weird is that?

9. The "new" tag that is supposed to indicate new programming is often not correct. It's often missing from new programming or it's shown as new when a programme is a repeat. (and yes I am aware that "new" is relative to that particular channel)

10. The user experience is totally different depending on which device, firmware, software, computer, browser you're using.  We should be able to see the same thing whether we're looking at the IPG or recordings at the PVR, from our computer, with our tablet, etc. However, the experience is totally different with different information showing. For example on the PVR, a programme description may show the year of production, while AnyPlace doesn't show it, or vice versa. Or the programme title/description could be competely different.  It's almost impossible for an average user to comprehend all these differences when someone like me with 14 years of heavy Rogers IPG experience and extensive experience on forums, has difficulty.

The above is but a short list of IPG problems. There are many more that I've recorded over the years, but I thought this would suffice to give Rogers some feedback regarding their IPG, which has become increasingly unreliable.  You're driving away your customers with these sorts of problems, without even mentioning Navigatr. Smiley Wink

*** Edited Labels ***

223 REPLIES 223

Re: IPG Inconsistencies

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

The Drama channel, 40 on my hardware (not Ignite), has exactly the same programs at the same times as the Comedy channel, 44 on my hardware, all this week, until Friday.  It is the Drama channel that is wrong, it seems to be a complete copy of the Comedy channel.  The Drama channel was correct last week.

Hugh

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
Same here. Drama channel, 40 and Comedy channel 46.

The guide for CTV Drama channel is showing the completely wrong information. The TV shows and movies being played and advertised are not listed making it impossible to record anything.  This needs to be fixed asap

For at least a year, probably longer, the information for "The Agenda" on TVO (airing 8PM, 11PM, 5AM, Channel 2 in Toronto) has not had the correct programming information. It's either generic or incorrect.  I'm forced to go to the TVO website to see the correct information.

The sad thing is, that AnyPlace does have the correct information, so it is available, just not on the PVR's IPG.  As discussed numerous times in this thread, that's the case for a lot of programming, but it appears Rogers just doesn't care to put the correct info in the IPG for some reason.

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

" it appears Rogers just doesn't care to put the correct info in the IPG for some reason."

I have been following this thread for quite awhile and the reason is that Rogers just doesn't care about their clients.

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

The problem with the Drama channel being a copy of the Comedy channel has been fixed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A couple of days ago there was an announcement about Formula 1 Qualifying on Saturday time changes due to Prince Philip's funeral.

Anyplace has the time correct at 7AM for Pre-Q and 7:55AM for Qualy.

The IPG is still incorrect one hour late.  TSN4 & 5.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another weekend of incorrect Auto Racing listings.

Formula E (Race 1) is on Saturday at 8:30AM, but the IPG has it at 10AM (TSN5)

Formula E (Race 2) is on Sunday at 7:30AM, but nothing is listed in the guide at all.

I was also looking at some guide information for Jimmy Fallon and America's Test Kitchen. The information was in SPANISH!  How that happens I don't know.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the information for many programmes is generic instead of specific for that particular airing.  The IPG is getting to be a joke.

The information in Anyplace is correct. Why can't the IPG be correct?

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

Same with CTV Sci-Fi, starting this coming Sunday, it's back to circa 2018, with the wrong shows being listed, generic descriptions, and long stretches of To Be Announced.   

Listen, you bozos, you take 200 out of my bank account every month, and I don't think it's too  much to expect an accurate IPG in return.  If you, Rogers, cannot deliver the goods, I'll find someone who can (*cough* Bell *cough*).

I have been very patient with you  lot in this, but enough is enough!

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

This Wednesday the 28th the new season of "The Handmaid's Tale" starts on CTV Drama channel.  But that is not what the Guide (not Ignite) says, it says the movie "42" is playing.  Fix it please.

Hugh

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

The description for The UnExplained, on History this evening, is in French!

The shows on either side of it are described in English, as they should be.

Someone has clearly dropped the ball here.

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

The Drama channel Guide listings have been fixed.

Hugh

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The IPG was not fixed in time for Formula E. For Saturday I had to record the programmes before the IPG listing and on Sunday I had to record the programmes after the IPG listing because both days were incorrect.  I recorded the IPG listing for Formula E as well, just in case.

I supposed it's a good thing that there were no last minute changes because that would have messed up the recordings that I did set to compensate for the inaccuracies.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yet again, the Auto Racing listings in the IPG are incorrect for next weekend.  The IPG shows Formula E racing on TSN4 & TSN5 on Saturday morning May 8th, however, it should show Formula 1 pre-qualifying and Formula 1 qualifying on TSN5 instead of SportsCentre and Formula E.  It's the same sad story most weekends.

I watched a programme called "Backyard Builds" on HGTV and the description was in Spanish again.  How does this even happen in Canada?

It seems that about half of the programming that I record/watch has incorrect information, missing information, Spanish, German or French titles or information, etc.  What's going on?  It's not as though this is an occasional issue. It's every week on lots of programming.  Anyplace shows the correct information. Why can't the IPG on our PVRs???

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I don't have Rogers Cable anymore, but IPTV from my ISP, and I'm seeing the same thing.  I can find Qualifying on Zap2it, but ON TV TONIGHT has Sportsnet. I'm just setting a recording of Sportsnet  at 9 am Saturday for qualifying. Maybe the listings will change later in the week.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

Tonight, May 5, 2021, the CTV Drama channel (40 on my hardware, not Ignite) will be showing new episodes of The Handmaid's Tale.  But the Guide for tonight shows To Be Announced.

They better announce it quickly so I can record The Handmaid's Tale.

Hugh

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hrmckay : The IPG usually updates overnight, so it's doubtful the IPG will update before this evening. It looks like you can set the TBAs to record, but I can't guarantee they will actually record...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

Yet again, the Auto Racing listings in the IPG are incorrect for next weekend.  The IPG shows Formula E racing on TSN4 & TSN5 on Saturday morning May 8th, however, it should show Formula 1 pre-qualifying and Formula 1 qualifying on TSN5 instead of SportsCentre and Formula E.  It's the same sad story most weekends.

I don't know about Rogers, but the IPTV listings on my ISP never changed, even overnight before Qualifying. Since I knew from Zap2it when it was supposed to be on TSN5, I just scheduled SportsCentre and Formula E Racing and was able to record F1 Qualifying.  I guess that's what we'll have to do in the future.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, I did the same thing, but scheduled an hour before and 3 hours after SportsCentre to be sure to catch everything in case it ran long. That allowed me to catch pre-qualy as well.

As was the case for you, nothing changed overnight.  What I will never understand is why the information is incorrect in the PVR's IPG but is correct in Anyplace. This holds true for most of the complaints in this thread. They are both designed for Legacy Digital Cable.  I could understand if IgniteTV were different, but don't understand why Digital Cable has two different "guides".

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

I went to this coming Tuesday, at  9:00 PM, on CTV Sci-Fi, to see what the latest episode of Superman &  Lois would be.  However, instead of Superman & Lois, I see an episode of Lois & Clark, from 1993!  Furthermore, said episode is listed as "New".

Now, how does a  twenty-eight-year-old episode of a show that ended nearly a quarter of a century ago can be considered "new", well beats me!

Geez, Rogers, how can you be so stupid!  You're not even in the correct century this time!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can share your pain.  This and all the other items listed in this thread happen way too much.

@TimMcCree wrote:

Now, how does a  twenty-eight-year-old episode of a show that ended nearly a quarter of a century ago can be considered "new", well beats me!

Believe it or not, what the "new" modifier indicates is that it's the first time that a particular programme is airing on that particular channel, so it could be "new" by that definition, although it probably isn't, just wrong.

Topic Stats