cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 9865 (NB3) running Navigatr firmware and I also utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", as well as RAPTV on my iPad. The Rogers IPG has never been very good, but most of the time it records most of my scheduled recordings. Since January 2016 (post Navigatr?) the IPG has become increasingly less reliable.  Here's a list of recent issues.

1. Before the change to DST the IPG was "incorrect" by one hour for all the scheduled recordings after the time change, as well as the programmes shown in the guide the following week. This is very confusing for people. It's also unnecessary since SARA firmware doesn't do this (I also have 8300HD PVRs.)

2. After the change to DST, programmes that were recorded on the PVR prior to the time change showed as being recorded at times different from when they were actually recorded.  Not only that, but the "recording time" would be different depending on which way you accessed the information. On the PVR itself it would be off by 1 hour. On AnyPlace it would be off by 5 hours. On RAPTV it would be off by 4 hours.

3. This week the daily recordings don't seem to be scheduling properly.  Only 1-2 days instead of 4-5. (And yes, I am aware that sometimes the guide "catches up" with these sorts of issues, but this week it hasn't and recordings have been missed because of it)

4.  I have a scheduled series recording for "Edwardian Farm" on TVO 2AM Tuesday.  The Navigatr IPG shows the programme as "Wartime Farm" with the description for an Edwardian Farm episode.  On AnyPlace or RAPTV it shows as "Edwardian Farm".  If I hadn't noticed, I would have missed recording it on my PVR due to a totally incorrect title on the 9865 IPG.

5. The PVR/AnyPlace/RAPTV uses "name based recording". The problem is that the names of the programmes are constantly changing.  This means that series recordings are missed even if one letter of the name of the programme changes. This has been going on for roughly 11 years now.  As an example, Mercer Report may become The Mercer Report.   "The Fifth Estate" has been listed about 3-4 different ways during the past 2 months!  Rogers, get your IPG provider to give us consistent programme titles. Or write proper firmware that would circumvent these issues. TiVo knows how to...

6. Many of the programmes have "generic" information in the programme description instead of what's actually airing.  For example instead of stating who the guest is on "Mansbridge One on One" it simply states that "Peter interviews Canadians"  There are similar examples for almost all interview programming and late night programming.  I do understand that this information is not always available, but it usually is and the IPG provider is missing information that's available in many places on the web.

7. Currently on Smithsonian Channel (540).  It shows TBA for the entire week.  This happens often on this and other channels..

8. For the Formula One race this weekend, there were several pre and post-race programmes. When I set these to record they showed properly on the 9865, however, on AnyPlace/RAPTV they showed totally incorrectly - as NCAA basketball or SportsCentre.  How weird is that?

9. The "new" tag that is supposed to indicate new programming is often not correct. It's often missing from new programming or it's shown as new when a programme is a repeat. (and yes I am aware that "new" is relative to that particular channel)

10. The user experience is totally different depending on which device, firmware, software, computer, browser you're using.  We should be able to see the same thing whether we're looking at the IPG or recordings at the PVR, from our computer, with our tablet, etc. However, the experience is totally different with different information showing. For example on the PVR, a programme description may show the year of production, while AnyPlace doesn't show it, or vice versa. Or the programme title/description could be competely different.  It's almost impossible for an average user to comprehend all these differences when someone like me with 14 years of heavy Rogers IPG experience and extensive experience on forums, has difficulty.

The above is but a short list of IPG problems. There are many more that I've recorded over the years, but I thought this would suffice to give Rogers some feedback regarding their IPG, which has become increasingly unreliable.  You're driving away your customers with these sorts of problems, without even mentioning Navigatr. Smiley Wink

*** Edited Labels ***

223 REPLIES 223

Re: IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Next Tuesday at 8:30PM is the premiere of 22 Minutes for season 28 on CBC.  The PVR IPG (9865 in my case) incorrectly shows all kinds of (incorrect) programming listings for next Tuesday evening, while Anyplace appears to show the correct information for the evening.

https://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/2020/10/06/cbc_television/?t=1601577380429

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

I see the same problem with the Guide for CBC on my system (CBC channel 6, not Ignite).  CBC has new shows starting next Monday and Wednesday and the Guide does not show them, but shows older programs.

Hugh

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IPG issues appear to have been corrected for CBC next Monday & Tuesday.  I can now see the various premieres (22 Minutes, The Sounds).  It doesn't look like Wednesday or Thursday have been corrected yet... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the IPG issues for CBC were corrected for early this week, per my previous post, it appears that the IPG is still incorrect for later in the week. For example, Marketplace has its premiere on Friday at 8PM, but is not showing in the IPG. I believe Thursday is also still incorrect. Anyplace is correct.  Rogers, please correct this issue with CBC and the IPG on digital cable PVRs.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The IPG for CBC has been corrected for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, however, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are incorrect.  Are we going to have to post here every three days?

Anyplace seems to contain the correct information.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It appears that the IPG for CBC is correct for the week now, however, the "NEW" modifier is missing from the programmes I record.  I don't know about other programmes, as I only checked the ones of interest to me.  The Sounds, 22 Minutes, Marketplace.

This means I either have to do single recordings, or timeslot series - which has its own problems if the time changes by even one minute.

This also means the "New" series will not pick up the season premieres (as it did recently once the IPG was corrected), or the programmes when the series returns after say the Christmas break.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We're back to having incorrect information for CBC for next week. For example "The Sounds" airs at 8PM Monday, but the incorrect information is in the IPG again. Anyplace has the correct information.  Do I have to keep posting here every week?  😫

Of course, as mentioned many times previously, the incorrect information regarding Formula 1 is usually in the IPG until a day or two before the actual event. I don't even bother scheduling my F1 recordings for Friday, Saturday and Sunday until Thursday and sometimes even need to correct that on Friday or Saturday due to "last minute" changes in the IPG which is a Rogers issue, not a TSN or other issue.  

Groove
I've been here awhile

HGTV has also been incorrect again the last couple nights!

Come on Rogers! Can't you please put just a little bit of effort in getting this corrected once and for all!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like someone corrected the CBC issue overnight and the "New" modifier is there again for "The Sounds". Thanks.  Let's see if we can go more than a week before the IPG fails again.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I like to record John Oliver on HBO Sunday night, but there's nothing but TBA after Sunday morning.  C'mon Rogers, it's getting really tiresome to have to come here almost daily to get you to correct or implement a proper IPG.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Programme information is back on HBO. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Last year I had a series (new) recording scheduled for "The Nature of Things".  The premiere is today at 9PM and it's wasn't in my list of scheduled recordings.  Unfortunately, this year the PVR's IPG calls it "Nature of Things" (without "The"), so the new recording was not found.

However, Anyplace still calls it "The Nature of Things", as does the CBC website.  Why does the IPG show it differently?  I had to schedule a new series for "Nature of Things".

This is not the first time a minor name change has thrown off my name-based recordings.

Hello @57,

Thanks so much for sharing this information! Although we are glad you were able to catch the change in time and set-up your recordings, we certainly understand how such a missed opportunity could have ended up in disappointment. 😕

If you are seeing it listed as one way on both Anyplace TV and the broadcaster's website, then it could be an error in our guide feed. Apologies for the inconvenience and if you can shoot us a PM, we'll be happy to send off a ticket for this to be investigated. 🙂

Kindest of regards,

RogersLaura

@RogersYasmine : Thank you for your kind offer, however, I believe I would just be wasting my time.  I and many other customers have been banging our heads against this wall for years.  In numerous posts earlier in this (long) thread, we have indicated the many issues that the IPG has had for years.  I have summarized those in posts 1, 3, 4, 15, etc.  Rogers have supposedly passed on the various suggestions (post 7), but we really don't see any improvement at all.  The only time anything happens is if there is something obvious like:

- days with missing information

- channels with totally incorrect information

- programmes that have incorrect titles, etc.

A brief summary of issues includes:

1. Names of programmes that change, causing name based recordings to "fail".

2. The "New" modifier that doesn't work half the time.  

3. Sports events like Formula 1 that are incorrect almost every week they air, yet the information is correct on the broadcaster website and on Anyplace.  Why is the IPG different from Anyplace???????

So, when we report a specific issue here, it is often corrected right away and we thank you for that, however, the same issue just comes back again over and over and over.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57  I experienced some of those same inconsistencies when I was a Rogers digital cable customer, although not as severe with SARA, as far as the exact program name.  While bringing the issues up here will get you help from the moderators, you probably should also use Rogers Share a Concern in each instance, if you're not doing that already.  Rogers is a huge nation-wide corporation with huge resources, so there is no reason they can't fix these things. I'm sure millions of other customers are having the same problems, just not posting here.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sure, Rogers could have fixed these ongoing issues.  However, the reality is that there is no future for the Digital TV platform.  They are not selling the service anymore to any new customers and their goal is to migrate any remaining customers to Ignite TV as soon as possible.  It simply does not make business sense for Rogers to invest any funds into fixing any issues that can be addressed with a "band-aid" fix, especially when it is only a matter of time before they announce an end-of-life date for Digital TV.

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

I don't believe it!

Once again the  Investigation Discovery schedule has the wrong shows being listed and generic descriptions for them.

And I  zapped ahead to Sunday (the 29th) and checked CTV Sci-Fi.  Sure enough, I saw To Be Announced followed by The Last Ship at 9:00 PM.

Yep, it's back to 2017 for the guide in regards to these channels.

Look, enough is enough, tell your tech people to get off their butts and fix this irritating problem once and for all!  

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

If you are hoping to get information on the latest episode of Batwoman and the season premier of Charmed (both which are on Showcase and W in Canada, and the CW in the U.S., Sunday nights from 8 till 10), don't look for them on the IPG.  All you'll find are generic descriptions of both that tell you nothing.

And they're not even correct.  Batwoman says "Kate Kane fights for justice".  Kate Kane is not even on the show anymore, for Christ's sake!  

And the generic description  for Charmed is followed  by the year 2006 for some reason.   Stuck in a time warp, are you, Rogers?

Guess getting the real episode information is too much like work.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@TimMcCree  I'm no longer on Rogers Cable and so far have had no problems with my new supplier. But as far as following new episodes of series,  I check epguides.com for upcoming episodes to make sure I don't miss them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

And it's happening for the CTV Sci-Fi Channel, starting on Sunday the 31st.  Long stretches of To Be Announced and the wrong shows being listed, and generic descriptions all around.

Why does this keep happening!?

mf152
I plan to stick around

I've experienced this on Discovery, worst case being Mayday, renamed to Air Crash Investigation (whereas this is Mayday in Canada and should always be Mayday), and then even coming up with the German name of the show in some cases!

Topic Stats