cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 9865 (NB3) running Navigatr firmware and I also utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", as well as RAPTV on my iPad. The Rogers IPG has never been very good, but most of the time it records most of my scheduled recordings. Since January 2016 (post Navigatr?) the IPG has become increasingly less reliable.  Here's a list of recent issues.

1. Before the change to DST the IPG was "incorrect" by one hour for all the scheduled recordings after the time change, as well as the programmes shown in the guide the following week. This is very confusing for people. It's also unnecessary since SARA firmware doesn't do this (I also have 8300HD PVRs.)

2. After the change to DST, programmes that were recorded on the PVR prior to the time change showed as being recorded at times different from when they were actually recorded.  Not only that, but the "recording time" would be different depending on which way you accessed the information. On the PVR itself it would be off by 1 hour. On AnyPlace it would be off by 5 hours. On RAPTV it would be off by 4 hours.

3. This week the daily recordings don't seem to be scheduling properly.  Only 1-2 days instead of 4-5. (And yes, I am aware that sometimes the guide "catches up" with these sorts of issues, but this week it hasn't and recordings have been missed because of it)

4.  I have a scheduled series recording for "Edwardian Farm" on TVO 2AM Tuesday.  The Navigatr IPG shows the programme as "Wartime Farm" with the description for an Edwardian Farm episode.  On AnyPlace or RAPTV it shows as "Edwardian Farm".  If I hadn't noticed, I would have missed recording it on my PVR due to a totally incorrect title on the 9865 IPG.

5. The PVR/AnyPlace/RAPTV uses "name based recording". The problem is that the names of the programmes are constantly changing.  This means that series recordings are missed even if one letter of the name of the programme changes. This has been going on for roughly 11 years now.  As an example, Mercer Report may become The Mercer Report.   "The Fifth Estate" has been listed about 3-4 different ways during the past 2 months!  Rogers, get your IPG provider to give us consistent programme titles. Or write proper firmware that would circumvent these issues. TiVo knows how to...

6. Many of the programmes have "generic" information in the programme description instead of what's actually airing.  For example instead of stating who the guest is on "Mansbridge One on One" it simply states that "Peter interviews Canadians"  There are similar examples for almost all interview programming and late night programming.  I do understand that this information is not always available, but it usually is and the IPG provider is missing information that's available in many places on the web.

7. Currently on Smithsonian Channel (540).  It shows TBA for the entire week.  This happens often on this and other channels..

8. For the Formula One race this weekend, there were several pre and post-race programmes. When I set these to record they showed properly on the 9865, however, on AnyPlace/RAPTV they showed totally incorrectly - as NCAA basketball or SportsCentre.  How weird is that?

9. The "new" tag that is supposed to indicate new programming is often not correct. It's often missing from new programming or it's shown as new when a programme is a repeat. (and yes I am aware that "new" is relative to that particular channel)

10. The user experience is totally different depending on which device, firmware, software, computer, browser you're using.  We should be able to see the same thing whether we're looking at the IPG or recordings at the PVR, from our computer, with our tablet, etc. However, the experience is totally different with different information showing. For example on the PVR, a programme description may show the year of production, while AnyPlace doesn't show it, or vice versa. Or the programme title/description could be competely different.  It's almost impossible for an average user to comprehend all these differences when someone like me with 14 years of heavy Rogers IPG experience and extensive experience on forums, has difficulty.

The above is but a short list of IPG problems. There are many more that I've recorded over the years, but I thought this would suffice to give Rogers some feedback regarding their IPG, which has become increasingly unreliable.  You're driving away your customers with these sorts of problems, without even mentioning Navigatr. Smiley Wink

*** Edited Labels ***

223 REPLIES 223

Re: IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, F1 has been incorrect a lot of the time on Navigatr IPG on Rogers Digital Cable.  It does show TBA or Off-air currently on several channels.  Anyplace appears to show things correctly today, although even it showed "Blackout" on TSN5 yesterday.  I usually wait until Thursday to do my scheduled recordings this year.  Anything else is just a waste of time on Rogers Digital Cable.

I wait until Thursday because a lot of changes happen during the week with name changes happening almost daily. I also then check again on Friday and Saturday for Q2 and the race.  I've even seen changes overnight on Sunday morning to the pre-race programming, so on one of the channels I set the race to start recording early, as well as extend the recording by 3 hours for post race or (race delayed).

As discussed in post 143 above, IgniteTV works fine when things change, even at the last minute, however, Digital Cable is "name based" so if the programme title changes, even only one letter then it won't record.  I've seen the title of P2 change by just adding a "2" to the title and it would not have recorded.

Yesterday I watched MotoGP on NBC, even though it was shown as TBA.  Anyplace showed it correctly, luckily so I went downstairs and hit the record button just in time.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just out of curiosity I went to see if I could schedule the next F1 events and saw that TSN5 was Off-Air and TSN3 was TBA, that's today, not next weekend.  Clearly, it's futile to try and schedule a recording sooner than the day before the event when it comes to TSN.  And if you manage to do it, you still need to check the day before, so why bother.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, F1 is still a mess. Friday Practice is listed as P1 instead of P2.  Saturday Qualifying is incorrectly listed as the race, etc.

In addition, TCMHD (channel 48) listings are off by a day. What's actually on on Wednesday is shown in the Thursday IPG, etc. It's therefore impossible to record anything properly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is getting ridiculous.  I see another thread has been started for various channels (SciFi?).  I'd like to reiterate that:

1. The programme descriptions for TVO are often incorrect, or missing or generic.  This is especially true of the programme "The Agenda" which airs several times a day including 8PM, 11PM, 5AM on TVO.  This hasn't been correct in weeks or longer. I have to go to the TVO website to see what's actually airing (and it's not the programme on bats, which seems to be a Rogers favourite)

2. With the programming changes due to sports changes this week (due to BLM, etc), many of the sports programmes are incorrect, or programmes that were supposed to air are showing some sport like hockey instead.  I understand last minute changes, but some of these are known days in advance and not corrected.

3. Formula One has been well documented in the posts above, but issues remain.

4. TCM was "off" by a day again recently.

When I compare the IPG on my PVR with Anyplace, there are often differences too many to mention.

Groove
I've been here awhile

Further to previously reported issues, have now noticed for the last couple of nights that CTV Sci Fi, HGTV, and Food are all incorrect.  Thankfully I decided to check an online Guide listing and it reminded my that several programs are back today and some new ones are starting tonight. 

Has anyone heard anything useful from Rogers on this issue?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In addition to the items I already mentioned in post 151, NBC on Saturday at 8AM says TBA. I believe that a Tour de France stage is scheduled for that timeslot and has been for over a week. Why TBA?  Yesterday that timeslot said "No Information".

I hope my TBA recording works...

I've listed a half dozen issues in two recent posts on different channels and that's only for the programming I wish to record that I know is incorrect. As others have mentioned, there are lots of other issues.  C'mon Rogers, lets get an IPG that's useful.

Anyplace shows the Tour de France properly. Why can't the PVR IPG?

@CommunityHelps : Who can I contact to get this fixed?  Are you forwarding this information to the people responsible?  Are you trying to make the digital cable people angry to get them to switch to IgniteTV?

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @57!

I can wholeheartedly appreciate the frustration! For this particular issue I would recommend reaching out to support via Facebook or Twitter at your earliest convenience so a ticket can be logged to notify you when the issue itself has been resolved.

Thank you so much for your patience.

@RogersAndy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersAndy wrote:

...I would recommend reaching out to support via Facebook or Twitter

Thanks for that suggestion, but I don't tweet or FB.

And ..... just to point out, IPG inconsistencies have been a problem for a few years now. Its well beyond time for Facebook or Twitter.  Its well beyond time that the individual who is responsible for managing the interface between Rogers and the data provider is brought into the conversation to:

1.  Bring the years old ongoing issue to his or her attention; and

2.  Ask when this will this be resolved, once and for all.  

If the current data provider can't do the job, its time to go to a provider who will, even if this costs Rogers a few more dollars for accurate and timely data. 

So, what can the moderators do?  Contact the Rogers employee that has oversight responsibility for the IPG contract and data interface and bring him or her into the conversation.  How that happens is up to the moderators.  If that includes Facebook or Twitter, so be it. 

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

I agree.  It is time for Rogers to get a handle on these inconsistencies.  

Again today I wanted to record the late afternoon Blue Jays game.  I set it up on the indicated channel before I went out.  On return I sat down to watch and what was recording was sports highlights.  Using the search feature I found the game on a channel that was listed as showing wrestling.   You would think that Rogers would make sure that at least team they own would listed accurately in the guide.  

At least  the search feature is accurate (for now)

Hello Community,

We appreciate you providing us with many examples of the inconsistencies experienced in the IPG for Digital Cable. I know first-hand how frustrating it can be to miss a recording of a favourite program or sports event due to this error.

The content for the IPG is provided from the broadcaster, we do not have any control over this information other than to pass it on to the end-user. If last-minute changes are made by the broadcaster then it is very unlikely we will be able to update the guide in time. For Digital Cable, IPG updates are usually included in the 3 AM updates. If the box is not updating properly due to a signal issue or power issue then the IPG content may not be accurate on the cable box. 

This is an unfortunate limitation on Digital Cable. It is not an issue for Ignite TV because it is an IPTV-based platform and guide updates can come in much faster. Even in real-time which is evident when recording an event that goes on longer than the guide has scheduled, the recording doesn't cut off at the end time in the guide.

Escalation of tickets is the only way to get attention to this matter as we will pass along our findings and feedback to the broadcasters to review. You can reach out to us via any of the customer support channels for technical support or feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

1. The content for the IPG is provided from the broadcaster, we do not have any control over this information other than to pass it on to the end-user.

2. If last-minute changes are made by the broadcaster then it is very unlikely we will be able to update the guide in time. For Digital Cable, IPG updates are usually included in the 3 AM updates.

3. If the box is not updating properly due to a signal issue or power issue then the IPG content may not be accurate on the cable box. 

4. Escalation of tickets is the only way to get attention to this matter as we will pass along our findings and feedback to the broadcasters to review. You can reach out to us via any of the customer support channels for technical support or feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps.

@RogersTony :  Here are my comments regarding your post.

1. I do not believe this is the case.  I believe these IPGs come through some sort of intermediary.   If the same information were passed to the end user, then there would be no differences between Ignite, Anyplace and the PVR IPGs, however, there is, as evidenced by Formula One name differences and by the fact that the Tour de France was "TBA" on the PVR IPG and correctly posted on Anyplace (and broadcaster websites). Same for the many examples we've already provided recently in this thread.  If the information were passed to the end user, then these issues would not exist.

2. Yes, last minute changes are understandable, however, what we are complaining about with the PVR IPGs is that there are differences that are often a week old or more. 

3. It's not a signal issue because the rest of the IPG gets updated (daily) in the early morning, but the incorrect data remains in the PVR IPG.  A signal issue doesn't affect an entire single channel like SciFi for example where for several days incorrect (old) information was displayed on the PVR IPG.  Same holds true for TVO's "The Agenda", where old information is often displayed for months on end.

4. Why do we need to do a separate communication?  The last few pages of this thread highlight the problems and these could be forwarded to the appropriate (Rogers or Intermediary) people.  This has nothing to do with the broadcasters, because we can look at the broadcaster information, compare it to the PVR IPG and the PVR IPG is incorrect and is different from Anyplace, which is different from Ignite!!

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

You have got to be kidding!

It's happening AGAIN on the listings for the Investigation Discovery channel.  Generic descriptions, the wrong shows being listed, in short the same old problem!

This is the third time in two months this has happened.  I mean with the money I pay these clowns every month, is it too much to ask for an accurate guide!? 

Seriously, Rogers, fire whomever is in charge of the guide, because they keep dropping the ball.

help4me
I plan to stick around

SciFi Channel Guide Is Messed Up AGAIN (Sept 28th Onward)

Please be informed that effective Monday, Sept 28th, the SciFi channel's TV Guide is once again incorrect. Please fix immediately.

This problem has occurred at least TWO times in the recent past. As a paying customer the accurate use of the Guide is critical to my being able to record and watch programs on the SciFi channel. Please do not allow this degradation of service to remain unresolved.

P.S.

I have decided to start a new thread to focus on this problem!

Thank you.

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

I have the same problem, the SciFi channel (50 on my system, not Ignite) guide is wrong starting next Monday.  It has the same errors as the previous two times it was wrong.  Tickets C157463304, C158254451 were opened for the previous two occurrences.

Hugh

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

I don't believe it!

In most businesses, heads would be rolling after such incompetence.  Rogers really needs to fire whomever is in charge of the IPG.   Is an accurate guide too much to ask for!?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

1. I do not believe this is the case.  I believe these IPGs come through some sort of intermediary.   If the same information were passed to the end user, then there would be no differences between Ignite, Anyplace and the PVR IPGs, however, there is, as evidenced by Formula One name differences and by the fact that the Tour de France was "TBA" on the PVR IPG and correctly posted on Anyplace (and broadcaster websites). Same for the many examples we've already provided recently in this thread.  If the information were passed to the end user, then these issues would not exist.

I can understand why there might be a difference in the EPG data between Ignite and Digital but I would expect that Digital and Anyplace would be the same.  This is just a guess on my part but I suspect that Rogers is re-processing the EPG data and stripping it down/condensing program descriptions, etc. to accommodate limitations in the older SARA-based set-top boxes and may be introducing other problems in the process.

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely unacceptable.  For the same problem to keep happening over and over again shows a gross level of incompetence on the part of Rogers. 

As I said, had this happened in most businesses over and over, in a short span of time, heads would roll.  And the same should apply here.  Someone (or someones), at Rogers,  keeps dropping the ball in regards to the IPG.  This person (or persons) needs to be removed and replaced by those that can do the job. 

We pay Rogers every month to deliver the goods.   And, if they can't do so, there are others out there who can.

hrmckay
I plan to stick around

The problem is resolved this morning.  The SciFi channel guide is now correct again.

Hugh

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

That was quick!

The last two times, it took them a week or more to fix it.  Looks like someone at Rogers is on the ball after all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TimMcCree wrote:  Looks like someone at Rogers is on the ball after all.

I wouldn't all it "on the ball" when the IPG is often incorrect.  It was intimated in post 158 that Rogers passed on the information from the broadcasters, but as I mentioned in post 159, that's simply not the case because we can all look at the Web and see the broadcaster information doesn't line up with what the Rogers IPG shows and that even varies from Rogers Anyplace.  I also wish they'd do a better job.  One only needs to start reading from post 1 of this thread. Not much has changed.  

Topic Stats