IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 13,946

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

The TV packages have changed period a while back.  
Any new customer who was signing up in the last little while even on the regular cable TV packages was on these newer plans.  Only way to keep the older package, would be to continue grandfathering with what you have currently.

Really you need to compare what channels you have that you actually WATCH, and if those same ones are on the premier.

(the swap thing, you can do online.. allows you to go in and change among a select set of other channels.  I haven't done it since the FIRST time i moved a few)

Unfortunately no, no remote PVR setup.  (apparently it was removed from all their platforms due to some legal thing where a specific company is claiming they own the concept for it).  You can delete though.. you can go into where you view the recordings online, and you can delete them there)



I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

I am also disappointed with IGNITE.  I switched from FibeTV and the feature I missed the most is that I can replay with FibeTV any episode from any channel from the past 30 hours.  Yes, Cloud PVR allow you to record up to 200 hours but if you have not setup recording ahead of time, you are out of luck.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 18

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

@ynchan381

That is not true. We missed the last 2 episodes of What about Saul and were able to view it on-demand. We have done this numerous times with many shows … even the same day!

 

For example, we tuned in late to a show, in the final minutes. Then we looked for another time that it was scheduled and it was on-demand right away.

 

I also come from Bell Fibe and am really enjoying Ignite. After initial connection pains, the service has been extremely reliable, very fast, well thought out and voice remote just works for us. …. and much cheaper than Bell.

 

As with Bell, not all shows from every channel is available with On Demand.

I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 3

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

I have just tried ignite and the picture quality for sports is very poor. Significant pixelation when many players are in motion. 

 

Rogers uses the Comcast Xfinite system. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING IGNITE, GOOGLE "comcast xfinity picture quality" FIRST. THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 13,946

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES


@ynchan381 wrote:

I am also disappointed with IGNITE.  I switched from FibeTV and the feature I missed the most is that I can replay with FibeTV any episode from any channel from the past 30 hours.  Yes, Cloud PVR allow you to record up to 200 hours but if you have not setup recording ahead of time, you are out of luck.


To echo bhoward57,

A lot of it comes down to WHO owns the rights for the channels, if they allow others to do on demand playback for them (or how much they charge, and if rogers is going to pay that for them).
That Bell OWNS a lot more channels.. some there might be a larger % sometimes on their service, depending on what you watch.

 

But the rogers one DOES have a lot of playback in that way, at least the ones they have rights to.
On any of the shows that is past playing, check to see if there is a little Play button with a kind of circle/arrow around it.  Trying to remember where, think its down on the INFO area but I could be wrong.  It denotes you can play back on demand of it.



Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 13,946

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES


@swl9051 wrote:

I have just tried ignite and the picture quality for sports is very poor. Significant pixelation when many players are in motion. 

 

Rogers uses the Comcast Xfinite system. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING IGNITE, GOOGLE "comcast xfinity picture quality" FIRST. THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION.


Interesting.  I havent watched a bunch of sports myself, so havent noticed this.

 

I do watch a lot of high action, and would think that the movement, etc issues would be visible there, and I havent noticed it.

Unless its channel specific.
Or being caused by something else (poor signal to the TV box?)

NOTE: I just googled that exact phrase.  While the general tech for this is been coppied from comcast.. 
Not all boxes are the same, and are only just now rolling out the same ones as rogers.  
A few of the posts I read, were about the X1 PVR units.  Rogers isnt using the PVR units, etc.
So some of those things could come into effect.





I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Our Rogers wifi box is 1 meter away from the cable box. Our TV Chanel’s buffer and freeze. This should never under any circumstances happen. This is suppose to be a premium product and the fact that we have to wait 5 seconds for the screen to buffer or unfreeze is unacceptable. This product was made out to be Rogers top of the line TV experience and it is has been nothing but an absolute disaster. We pay top dollar for a premium product and the fact that we have to sit here and watch the program lose the HD quality or miss part of the program because it has to buffer is completely unacceptable. We are truly disappointed with Rogers and will be seeking a full refund from this product.
I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 3

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Please read before switching to ignite.

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=comcast+xfinity+sports+picture+quality&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA747CA747&oq=c...

 

Rogers is planning on migrating all customers to this platform within the next 2 years. Bell, opportunity awaits.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 235

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES


@Leafs34 wrote:
Our Rogers wifi box is 1 meter away from the cable box. Our TV Chanel’s buffer and freeze. This should never under any circumstances happen. This is suppose to be a premium product and the fact that we have to wait 5 seconds for the screen to buffer or unfreeze is unacceptable. This product was made out to be Rogers top of the line TV experience and it is has been nothing but an absolute disaster. We pay top dollar for a premium product and the fact that we have to sit here and watch the program lose the HD quality or miss part of the program because it has to buffer is completely unacceptable. We are truly disappointed with Rogers and will be seeking a full refund from this product.

I have similar issue with wired boxes.

To make it worst it only happen for 10 min from time to time so by the time I pick up the phone and call support its back to normal.

When I watch TV I want to watch TV and not spending time to call support.

Honestly I'm thinking of jumping ship and give Bell a chance on their fibe.

I know they have their issues but fibe TV seems to be more robust.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 235

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

And to be fair to Rogers, sports channels on 990 series looks amazing on my 4K TV but other HD channels are not even close to be 1080.

take a look at the logo on the corner of HD channel... they look so bad