IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

I had installer here when switching to another company. He claimed that no one has a problem with the BETA IGNITE. It seems other companies have new system with cloud PVR and no real problems.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure how many others have cloud pvr?
Bells IPTV doesnt.

Even comcast who is using this system and who rogers got the tech from, is just starting with it, most users there are still using a local PVR setup.

I've Been Around

Rogers ignite and the new regular cable boxes suck. They are laggy and and everything loads sooo slow. Everyone brags about speed... If 10mb connection speed is fast then im batman!! Ive never had so many techs come to fix something no one can seem to fix!! Slow internet slow tv and phone goes out for no reason. Yet no one can figure it out...hmmm maybe its the . boxes!! The old boxes worked fine. Dont fix it if it isnt broke. One day people are going to have to learn not everything needs fixing!!! After you peak theres no where but down to go...hello bell!!!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Internet and wifi setup can make a big difference in how these boxes work.
It does take 1-1.5 seconds to start the stream on the next channel.. but other than that, no regular issues with the TV boxes.

As for the boxes.  Yes, for many the boxes work just fine as they are.  And if that works for them, right now, there isnt really a specific NEED for someone to change right now.

But the problems come down to.. MOST of the rogers boxes right now that they are using, are CISCO based.  Cisco got out of the market of making them.  So the overall life on these boxes is limited.. as serviceability will be limited in the long run.

Really in the end, bell has/is the same way.  
While they do still offer basic satellite.. almost all their new stuff they push, where available, is FIBE TV.  Which is very similar to rogers current (IPTV based, etc).  

I've Been Around

Offered the Ignite services with a $150.00 installation fee????

Then decided they would give me the isnstllation for $50.00 ????

I have been a Rogers customer for over 20 years....Time to move to Bell Wireless internet  which I have been considering for the last several months...and NO INSTALLATION CHARGE to boot!!!

Enough of this gouging from Rogers  . I had Rogers VIP and when i was switched over to the new package I lost  -5 channels which i enjoyed  and had to pay extra to get them back. Of course Rogers lost the battle with CRTC on their packaging and blamed the loss of my VIP on them....can you imagine.???

I've Been Around

I'm fairly new to Ignite TV and I have to say we were sucked in by a sales pitch, wish I would have seen this sooner. 

What BorisYYZ said is still on going they never bother to fix any of his concerns. I still have TV programs skipping back and forth when watching, a half hour show often takes 40 minuets to get through, its because of the amount of time it skips back in the program. Also they told me that the router will have great range, that's a lie. My router is 30 feet away from a Ignite box and it needs a booster to work. They told me this would work, that's a lie every time I turn on that TV it has a purple haze over what is on so I have to reset the box by unplugging it and plugging it back in (resetting takes around 5 minutes each time). And once this is done 50% of the time it still freezes up the program making it stop playing and then it rewinds and tries again so most times i just shut it off. Not sure why I have it. 

They say you can record your programs and watch them later. Half the time it won't play what you recorded so it goes to rogers on demand and you can't fast forward, so whats the point in recording it.

BUT when you can watch what you recorded the fast forward feature is VERY choppy making it hard almost impossible to get it to stop where you want it to. Also many times when fast forwarding it shows no progress on the screen so you don't know where you are on the program. 

AS far as saying that gaming wont affect your TV viewing that's a lie. I can tell as soon as my son gets up in the morning (X-box or play station 4) the ignite box viewing starts skipping. If you want to watch something make sure you start 10 minutes before your program starts because its very slow to respond some times often can't find it.

So with this said I highly recommend that YOU STAY AWAY FROM IGNITE TV. I know that as soon as my contract is up I will be looking for something else maybe back to regular cable or maybe Bell TV because after having this Bell's system will seem much better then it was last time we had it.

It will just be another rogers thing that i have to drop. First my 4 cell phones and now possibly my TV viewing. 

If Rogers really cared about its customer they would have fixed what BorisYYZ  brought up instead of just selling the same troubles to us. Maybe stop putting your money in to buying sport teams and work on making your Ignite system better. Hire a programmer, get it right god knows the amount of money we pay we should get a decent product.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like yet another BAD install. 😞
With the router that close.. there SHOULDNT be an issue with signal?  But that being said, there could be some form of interference.  
You would really be surprised what can cause this.. having a portable phone main base plugged in between the devices.  Even pipes in the walls! (My front bathroom is like 10 feet from one of my access points, but the signal SUCKS, since there is the laundry room, and the wall there is the one that takes the copper pipes upstairs, inbetween)
BUT, that should be something that the techs doing the install should be checking. 

Make sure it connects to the wifi? Sure.
But they need to check the SIGNAL as well.
(Same goes, they should be checking/tweaking the modem signal as well).

I know it seems like I am defending them.
But I am only posting this from my experience.
I do not experience 9/10 of the problems experienced here.   
But I had an AWESOME tech.  He was there for over two hours, but we tweeked the signal on the modem to be pretty perfect.  Made sure there was good wifi range around the house (we installed the Eero mesh), and made sure each box was connecting right, etc.
There were some major playback from the PVR issues going back, which were global.  Everyone was experiencing it.  But generally those have been resolved.
I dont usually have an issue running multiple at the same time.  Often will have the TV running, my son on Netflix, myself gaming online, and even downloading at the same time.. and the TV does not seem effected.

I only bring up some of the stuff above.. as switching wont always FIX things.
Going to bell Fibe.. its a IPTV as well.  So if there is any issues with the bell lines/modem... could run into the same things.  The TV boxes (i think outside of the main PVR one?) are all wireless.  So again if there are any wireless signal/range issues.. same sorts of things can happen.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sparkey905 I agree with @Gdkitty.  It looks like you have a bad install.  I can understand your frustration because I’ve seen Ignite TV when it is not working well.  I’ve even posted some very harsh words about my in-store testing experiences here.  Nevertheless, back in May, I took a leap of faith and became an Ignite TV customer.  So far, overall, my own personal experience has actually been very positive.

For a good Ignite TV experience, it’s absolutely crucial that your Rogers Internet connection works well.  If your modem stats are showing a large number of Uncorrectable Codewords, your picture quality will suffer and you’ll run into all sorts of glitches when watching live and recorded content.

Your home network also needs to be rock solid.  Prior to the Ignite TV installation, I already had my own working Wi-Fi mesh network; I knew it worked and that I had excellent coverage.  Strangely, a few of the Xi6 boxes reported poor Wi-Fi connectivity and the Rogers install tech offered to install a range extender to fix the poor signal.  I knew that poor signal strength was definitely not the problem and that adding a range extender would likely cause even more problems, so I declined.  (I’d switch to a wired connection if I could not resolve this.)  Later, a few hours after the install tech left, the Xi6 boxes started dropping off Wi-Fi, so there was definitely a real problem somewhere.  It turned out that even though I had Wi-Fi disabled on the XB6 gateway, its radios were still active and transmitting on the same 2.4 and 5 GHz channels as my mesh network.  (The SSIDs were hidden but you could still see the traffic with the right tools, and that interference was making my Wi-Fi network unstable.)  Rogers’ tech support confirmed that this was normal and told me that they could not completely disable Wi-Fi on the XB6.  Fortunately, I was able to find an alternative solution on my own and just changed the channels that the XB6 was using.  With my Wi-Fi network stable again, Ignite TV has been working well and the picture quality has been great.  Better than Fibe TV and better than Digital Cable.

During the first week, I ran into a few other issues as well (some provisioning issues on Rogers’ side and a billing issue) but they were all taken care of quickly with a simple phone call.  Rogers’ technical support and customer care teams have been excellent.

I’m not saying that Ignite TV is perfect (it’s not) but I’m certainly not seeing the problems that you are seeing.

I Plan to Stick Around

I still see PVR issue and 3 dots from time to time but my voice mail indicator is fixed.

I don't agree that Bell have similar issues.

My friend down the street from me using it for over 1 year. TV is flawless. We watched Raptors in 4K which was impossible to watch on my ignite TV!!

I have done everything possible including Sr. Tech all the way to OFP ...

I'll move to Bell as soon as gigabit is available in my area.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I didnt say HAVE, i said could have.

Again, all depends on the setup.
My brother in law, they have Fibe.  Their main box which is wired works fine... but their other box in basement, always has problems.  (they own an ancient house.. so a ton of interference issues).

In the end, every person has to compare what is available to them, and what might work best.
(again, each way, can have bad setups, bad signal, bad techs).
For some its not so always simple either 😞
EG:  My area has been on the 'coming soon' list for fibe for almost 6 years.. and even the closest subdivision to us only gets a max 25mbps.  There really are not any other options sometimes for others 😞