IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Thank you for being honest.  I have to pay more to Rogers to keep my digital service now because they want everyone to switch to ignite.  I've heard nothing good.  This made me trust myself and my choice.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Dear Madam/Sir:

This is to inform you that I regretfully am canceling my Rogers membership after more than 30 years, and thought it apt and fair to communicate fully with you on this matter. I will be happy to enumerate the reasons why this is happening, but to summarize the main reasons : cost, especially when I am paying for numerous things I do not need nor use. The flexibility to save money by doing the following options - i.e. for cost saving - just are not available with Rogers service, at least now that I have Ignite:

- eliminate the land line phone;

- less speed on my modem, maybe even less b/width : I am a single user, never play computer games and practically never use two devices simultaneously; I don't stream very often

- fewer channels : I want the Canada and U.S. conventional networks, plus news and sports. HBO, to your credit, seems to be equally expensive regardless of where I subscribe (online or TV)

Additionally are the following factors:

- feeling trapped and deceived : when I was sold on Ignite by one of your co-workers - who was very polite and professional by the way - she told me I would retain ALL the channels that I then currently had.  This was simply not true - I lost Space and you eliminated all the GTA radio stations. And, I have been informed that there is no going back, i.e. once you go with Ignite you can't go back to e.g. just cable service again.

- on a lesser note, the system has more bugs and has to be rebooted more often than any in the past. This is not as much a big deal, as I realize your product will mature.

The good news is I'm probably going with Fido for internet, for at least the next year - assuming no problems, which is I think is a reasonable assumption since they are a division of Rogers and thus have quality service. Also, I hold stock in Rogers and not planning on selling it, so I haven't lost confidence in the company. It's just a question of "dollars and sense".

I want to leave on good terms, and leave open the possibility of being a return customer in the future.

Best regards,
G Robert (Bob) Pronk

Highlighted

Hello, @iGUB

It's really disappointing to hear that you are deciding to cancel your services after being with us for over 30 years. 😞

We'd really like the opportunity to try to make this right for you as we would hate to lose you as a customer after such a long time. While we cannot make any promises we will do our best to try to find you a deal for services that fits your needs and budget.

Please send a Private message to @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your info and take a closer look at this for you. Not familiar with our Private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

We look forward to your response and thanks so much for providing us with your feedback.

RogersTony

I've Been Around

Agree with everything except in my case I did not have Crave, HBO etc. On cable and it was added to my ignite list without my knowledge. I know I can cancel but irksome just the same.

I expect I will be seeking an alternative. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite tv a colossal mistake. I have been a Rogers customers my whole life.  This new evolution of all the tv companies moving to IPTV is really troublesome for me.

There is a $150 installation fee.  Plus you have to rent the boxes at $8 a pop.  I already own all my boxes with the latest one only two years ago.  Also the packages are a lot more expensive than previous generation of plans.

And what is even more disappointing is if the internet goes down everything goes down.  Also watching tv will slow down the internet.  Even if it is only 25 mbps per box why should i have to put up with it.  There already was technology to keep it separate.   Why should i accept technology that makes my life worse.  This is not progress but regress.  Rogers made a huge mistake by agreeing to switch to this technology.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also you don’t really have much of a choice to stay on digital tv.  They are getting rid of all the promos for it and only introducing IgniteTv promos.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I dont think it will be immediately,  you will eventually see it fully be unsupported.
It comes down to that that form of TV and technology is not really being made/used/supported/upgraded much anymore.   There really are not any companies which are are making the boxes anymore, etc.
EVENTUALLY you will probably see the changes like the Analog TV, where it will be completely phased out... but there will still be quite a number of years before that.

While I agree, if the internet goes down, the TV goes down as well.
But in many cases, at least in my experience so far in the last number of  years, didnt have only one thing go down, it was only full outages (and those were few and far between)

If you are experiencing slow downs with the TV running as well, there might be something else going on, and the internet not running at full, etc.
Outside of running a number of 4k streams, regular HD streams should be taking less that 10mbps each.  So 3 boxes, on the min plan of 150mbps, you should have a good 120mbps remaining.
(this is compared to bell fibe, where yes it segregated, but often you will see restricted speeds.  EG the closest area to my where Fibe is available (not my area 😞 ), the speed is capped at 50mbps for the internet, to allow enough for the tv above that.  So i would still be ahead with rogers)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Sami774882 Ignite may be troubling for you and you may feel that it is mistake, but let me offer some alternate thoughts.

Technology constantly moves forward, is not frozen in time, and does not move backward. For example, cloud storage of your data would have seemed impractical, restrictive, and insecure just 5 years ago. In today's world it is quite practical. TV and internet services are changing and delivery methods are getting better. On a grand scale is it more efficient to deliver service to a million TV's with a compact 1lb box rather than something that weights maybe three times more and consumes double the amount of electricity? As long as the functionality is equivalent then the answer has to be yes, it is more efficient.

On the financial side, I am sure you can negotiate with Rogers to get the installation fees waived (I did 2 years ago), and as a long time subscriber you should be able to find a package deal that is comparable to your current plan. Have you tried the online chat to see what could be offered? It may not make sense for you to make a change at this point as your boxes are relatively new, but this could change in a few years.

With the speeds offered by Ignite you will not notice any slow down of the internet even with multiple TV's being used at the same time. Yes, the internet can go down. Maybe I have been fortunate but except for power outages I have not experienced the loss of internet for more than 30 minutes total in the last 10 years with service from both Bell and Rogers. It is certainly not a life threatening concern.

The bottom line: keep an open mind, evaluate your requirements against what is available, and adapt as circumstances change.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you so much for your response.

I am lucky to have the gigabit internet the last few years.  I still don’t like the idea of extra connections.

I guess we have no choice, but it still disappoints me nonetheless.

I live in an old townhouse with really old wiring.  The service goes down a lot and not always everything at once.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love Rogers.  I have stuck with them even after better offers from Bell like $50 a month cheaper and $300 The Source gift card even though no one else I know in life is a loyal as I am.  As a side note I think it would be nice if there was a loyalty discount.

I still think it’s a step in the wrong direction and I wish Rogers didn’t go with the pack.  I don’t know much about it but didn’t Rogers always have their own cable wiring?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Sami774882 There is no official loyalty discount, but try an online chat. The agents are easy to deal with and you could be surprised by the results. Unfortunately you need to do this whenever the current deal is coming to an end. What is 15 minutes of your time worth?

Cable wiring is old technology, more expensive to maintain, and limited bandwidth compared to fiber.