IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

I had Ignite TV installed yesterday and I'm sorry but I like Digital way better especially for taping shows next day or a week ahead you can,t click on next days date you have to scroll all the way through your Guide to tape a show and also you cannot had extra 3 hours to a show or sports program that you have taped Ignite TV has a lot of upgrading to do.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@darmitage1215 wrote:

I had Ignite TV installed yesterday and I'm sorry but I like Digital way better especially for taping shows next day or a week ahead you can,t click on next days date you have to scroll all the way through your Guide to tape a show and also you cannot had extra 3 hours to a show or sports program that you have taped Ignite TV has a lot of upgrading to do.

When introduced, Ignite wasn't an option for me because of the high cost compared to my current digital VIP.  The more read about it now, the less appealing it becomes. It seems that with each change Rogers makes, some features of the previous system are dropped.  I still have SA8300 PVRs and can pause any recording and look through that portion of it frame-by-frame if I want. That feature was eliminated with the Nextboxes and I doubt you can do it with Ignite.  I now have fibre for my Internet and phone and my ISP offers something called Execulink Link TV, which seems to be similar to Ignite and I've been toying with bundling it with my Internet and phone and dropping Rogers cable to save money.  What's holding me up is needing to rent new STBs to replace my owned boxes and deciding on a pared-down number of channels to replace VIP.  For sure I'd want to browse through Link TV at the Execulink HQ five minutes from my home and I would suggest anyone contemplating switching to Ignite do the same at their local Rogers store to see if you like it. I've also just discovered that there is a lot of stuff on Youtube about those two systems.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@darmitage1215 

You are able to go forward in the guide forward quicker.
If you hit the FF button while on the guide, it will skip forward 1 day.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just thought I'd come back here after having Ignite for a week now. After finding this forum after accepting the changeover from digital to Ignite, I almost decided to cancel and stay with what I had. All I can say, that would have been a huge mistake.

I'm part of the silent majority for the most part but given that reading everything here, thought it would be worthwhile to provide a counterpoint to all the negative posts. To stress, I don't doubt the validity of any of these posts but anyone reading all of this, it's important to ask - how many people are happy with the service. So here goes with my experience after a week of service

What I have: Ignite 500u - Popular package - apt in a small 6 until building.

Installation: Brain dead simple. Tech came in and everything "just worked" out of the box.. Took about an hour for the switch. Provided pods (no cost) replacing my extender for what was a less then optimal wi-fi in the unit and a 5 port switch (no cost) for the devices that I needed to be hard-wired. Now, all my devices (multiple computers, tablets, mobile and TV) have been humming along. Took me about an hour to set up my recording schedule to what I had before on my Nextbox.

As for TV signal quality - all I can say is that have absolutely no complaints - completely clear with no latency on any device no matter how many things I have going. Actually a few days later decided to finally get a 4K Smart TV - has just added to the positive experience. Picture quality is great for me and a major improvement. Just like a professional photographer can rip apart pictures that the everyday person finds perfect, the same might be true of video buffs looking at my QLED screen but ask me if I care.

There was a complaint or two that I saw about the Guide taking up the whole screen - true. Thought that was going to be annoying, fact is, don't even notice it anymore and have really come to like the guide. The biggest thing that I needed to get used is the new remote - keep looking for the buttons in the old locations but that is becoming less and less of a factor with each passing day. On the flip-side, the Ignite TV app (Android/IOS & PC browser access) makes everything seemless and really does let me watch anything anywhere whenever I want) 

My initial thought was that the voice remote was just going to be some "hokey feature" but was wrong on that too. It's a really nice feature once you get used to it and all I can say, someone really had their act together for this. It has worked flawlessly to my amazement and makes thing a lot faster. That really became evident when using the "Bixby" voice remote on my new Samsung TV which kept mis-understanding and is no way as intuitive as the Roger's voice remote. Really don't care since I only need the Roger's remote. Took about 30 seconds to set it up for my new TV.

Can't end this without mentioning the "Concierge" folks - from the start, can only say that they someone must have gone out of their way to make sure that they only have the best of the best front-line people - leastwise that's been my experience with the 4 or 5 people I've interacted with from the outset.

Is their a downside to Ignite? Yes, it's an all or nothing service (phone, internet, TV) so if the internet goes out, all services go offline and you can't pick 'n choose which of those services you want. However, the digital service is on its way out so sooner or later, this is going to be the only choice. Chatting with the tech, he did mention that issues could be encountered in older large high-rises where the wifi signal may run into interference which is something that they need to address.

If anything changes, will certainly come back here but right now but for now can't imagine wanting to go back to what I had even if it were possible (which it's not) so know that going in. Don't doubt problems occur but I doubt that I'm some kind of "exception to the rule" - just not typical of the type of posts here.

Lastly, just for the record, I don't work for Rogers, haven't been asked to post this and am not being compensated in any way for posting this. Am just really happy customer who's really glad that I didn't follow through in cancelling my Ignite order after spending a lot of time reading all the posts in this thread.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@karlt   You raise a good point in that most people who post on this forum have issues/questions with their services.  We rarely hear from those who have no complaints.  I have had Ignite TV for about 6 months and the first week was fine, but after that I don't think a week has gone by without having some issue.  That said, some of the issues were minor and I could address them myself, others required a tech visit.  Overall, Ignite TV is far better than Digital cable - when Ignite TV is working as it should.     I would however, NEVER get Ignite TV for my parents.  Even the minor glitches would overwhelm them.  They  would have no clue how to reset the modem (what's a modem?) or have the patience to wait on hold to speak with tech support only not to understand them.

I certainly don't share your opinion of the "Concierge" folks.   At the start I called several times, they never picked up and never returned a call.  I was told I would have a dedicated concierge, but after her first call I never heard from her again - despite leaving multiple messages.  I just call the general tech support number now.

Glad everything is working for you; hopefully it will continue.

I'm Here A Lot

@

Have to agree with you that Ignite is not for everyone or at the very least be considered a traumatic changeover. Those would include

1 - anyone adverse to change and/or are technically challenged (i.e. the types who find configuring anything electronic a major challenge or find the simplest thing on a computer daunting)

2 - those who are not avid internet users especially those who would identify with questions like "MyRogers is what exactly? I need this why? etc

3 - those who don't use the internet at all (there really are those who don't) 

4 - those who don't have a smartphone/tablet. Not sure if it's a mandatory item. I just downloaded it as requested when the tech came to do the install and he used it to do "whatever" (I didn't bother to watch what he did to get things going initially)

In short, it's easy to follow the mantra of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" or "my digital service works just the way I want it and am happy with it" etc. To be honest, that also kept running through my mind. All I can say, all the promo material on Ignite doesn't do it justice. I only got to love Ignite more and more after I started using it and saw the benefits for things that I thought really didn't apply to me.  Now......would never want to go back to the digital service even if I could - would be a backward step IMHO.

I would disagree slightly that resetting the Ignite modem/router is any more difficult then resetting a cable box (i.e. NextBox). It's just a matter of unplugging and then plugging the unit in. Something I've had to do several times over the years. If someone has never had to do that, consider them to be seriously lucky people.

As for the concierge, I only got the info about my dedicated rep after everything was all said and done. Tried calling her yesterday but she wasn't in so just opted to connect to an available rep for a non-service related question. Didn't leave a message since i didn't want to go thru the whole telephone tag thing. Again, the rep who answered was absolutely great. It didn't hurt to find out that I qualified for the new Amazon promo as opposed to the SportsChek/CdnTire gift cards which I had no personal use for. Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't encountered a bad rep yet. While on the topic of Concierge reps, want to give a special shout out to "Brandon" who works out of New Brunswick. He is probably the best rep I've ever run across for any company I've dealt with -can't say enough good things about him.

That said, when it come to a Tech Support issue, wouldn't even bother trying to connect to a regular rep since technical issues are not in their bailiwick. They're just going to connect you to the tech support folks so might as well just go straight to them and save time for everyone concerned.

Speaking of Amazon, the addition of the Amazon Prime app was also a nice touch. Retired my Amazon Firestick used o the old TV and now don't have to bother switching the SmartTV app.

Just want to add some comments regarding posts here suggesting to go visit a Roger's store to see the quality of Ignite. Had I done that, might have one more reason not to go ahead with the service which would have been much to my regret. To be honest, wasn't especially enamoured with the video quality initially. However, my main TV was an older flat screen which while was a respectable model back in the day certainly wasn't up to today's specs so used it as an excuse to replace it with a larger 4K UHD model. Result: couldn't be happier - video quality is great and a major improvement using the same Ignite service so Ignite by itself isn't a factor. Now am sure that a true videophile would tell me why the picture quality is deficient for 4K/UHD. Might be right but all I know is that I have no complaints. No different then a professional photographer pointing out all the quality issues with your home pictures or an art critic telling you all the reasons why you should like some high-priced painting that you may have absolutely no use for. As the saying goes "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" and all things are relative. All I know, my TV picture is crisp and clear on any HD channel with no lag of any kind.

In closing, just want to add one last thing. I'm typically a member of the silent majority and "very seldom" (as in virtually never) post anything whether good or bad- just not my style. The only reason I felt compelled to post here the first time is that after reading this entire thread, it almost caused me to cancel my order which would have been a big mistake - at least so far after one week of service. Do I expect that I'll never run into an issue - not likely, would be nice but unrealistic. What's important to me is not whether I encounter a problem but rather how that problem gets handled and after some 12yrs, can honestly say that I've always rec'd great service - some issues needed a tech for an in-house visit and some didn't but always got resolved very quickly (maybe I've just been lucky but don't think I'm the only person in the world with that experience).

Anyhow - end of monologue <g>

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@karlt wrote:

Have to agree with you that Ignite is not for everyone or at the very least be considered a traumatic changeover. Those would include

1 - anyone adverse to change and/or are technically challenged (i.e. the types who find configuring anything electronic a major challenge or find the simplest thing on a computer daunting)

2 - those who are not avid internet users especially those who would identify with questions like "MyRogers is what exactly? I need this why? etc

3 - those who don't use the internet at all (there really are those who don't) 

4 - those who don't have a smartphone/tablet. Not sure if it's a mandatory item. I just downloaded it as requested when the tech came to do the install and he used it to do "whatever" (I didn't bother to watch what he did to get things going initially)

All fair points but I am hoping that the situation will improve over time.  Right now, the most daunting challenge (for most) will be if something should happen that causes their Wi-Fi to become unstable, and this can be hard enough for even the most seasoned "technical nerds" to troubleshoot and resolve properly without assistance.

As for the smartphone/tablet, this only needed (at the moment) to run the mobile apps that are used to configure Wi-Fi (eero and Pods) and to associate Pods with your Rogers account, as well as to manage your in-home Wi-Fi on an ongoing basis.  If the XB6 Modem/Gateway alone provides all of the Wi-Fi coverage that you require, I can't think of any reason why a mobile device would be required.

I would disagree slightly that resetting the Ignite modem/router is any more difficult then resetting a cable box (i.e. NextBox). It's just a matter of unplugging and then plugging the unit in. Something I've had to do several times over the years. If someone has never had to do that, consider them to be seriously lucky people.

I agree.  The most important point to keep in mind when performing a full reset is to reset the XB6 first (and wait for it to come back online) followed by resetting the Xi6 set-top boxes.  This full-reset actually takes less time than it used to take for a NextBox to reset and come back online again.  The other nice thing is that resetting the Ignite TV components won't affect any recordings that are in progress because recordings are all done "in the cloud."

Just want to add some comments regarding posts here suggesting to go visit a Roger's store to see the quality of Ignite. Had I done that, might have one more reason not to go ahead with the service which would have been much to my regret. To be honest, wasn't especially enamoured with the video quality initially.

I make that recommendation only so that people can see what Ignite TV is like from a usability perspective.  As you mentioned right from the start, some people are uncomfortable with unfamiliar technology and it can be a shock to them if they are expecting Ignite TV to be exactly the same as Digital TV.  Ignite TV also has some amazing features that you can't imagine if you are not familiar with the product and haven't actually tried it out for yourself.

It's also funny that you mention the picture quality of Ignite TV in your Rogers store.  I had the same experience and voiced similar concerns when I placed my order.  To my surprise, the Rogers sales rep gave me a very honest answer: they knew that there have been picture quality issues in the past but there are ongoing efforts to improve this.

I've been working with IPTV (and related technologies) on the technical side for 15+ years and have also been a Fibe TV customer, so I knew that the problems that I saw are totally fixable... just possibly very expensive to fix.  I also knew that Rogers' own future was at stake if Ignite TV didn't succeed, so I took a leap of faith.  I've been very pleased with Ignite TV so far.  I found the picture quality in my home to be superior (in most respects) to Fibe TV and MUCH better than what I ever saw in the Rogers store.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Also you used to have access to radio stations like majic 100 and hot 89.9 and 580 Cfra in ottawa that's gone and no lobby channel which is huge for seniors in Apartments I switched to ignite and now I cant go back to cable they told me they dont go back to cable so I might he switching to bell myself
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just wondering.  

Rogers is still broadcasting on cable so why can’t a customer go back to cable?  I would think it would be better to keep paying customers than to lose them completely. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@jays77

Without being privy to Roger's long-term business plans and projections where consumers are heading, would be impossible to definitively answer but logic would dictate that digital is not part of their long-term plans. Other then their starter package, they don't offer digital solutions anymore to new subscribers - leastwise not that I can tell. Would be impossible to retire digital as we know it today if they kept offering it so while retaining paying customers may appear more prudent, it in fact can end up being a lot more expensive long term. Am also guessing that the trend to "streaming services" with upcoming generations having a "view anywhere/anytime" mindset has a lot to do with this. What Rogers is going to look like 10-20 years from now depends on the decisions being made today. Change has to start somewhere.