IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

@kgrosvold wrote:

My question simply is this:  Because I have such great internet experience (and I am very picky when it comes to speed, quality of streaming, etc), would that likely mean that I would have a more favorable Ignite experience since it all hinges on internet connectivity?  Will the addition of streaming to 2 tvs at times really impact my internet streaming / downloading / uploading?

Kev

I only have a 150Mbps service and I have not run into any issues whatsoever.  Ignite TV does not interfere with any of my other activities and my use of the Internet does not have any noticeable impact on Ignite TV.

What is your average and sustained peak bandwidth utilization?  With a 1 Gbps service, the impact of adding two Ignite TV set top boxes should be negligible.

If your Internet service is working well (good signal levels, few uncorrectable codewords in the stats) and your home network (including Wi-Fi) works well, then Ignite TV should also work well for you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@-G- wrote:

I only have a 150Mbps service and I have not run into any issues whatsoever.  Ignite TV does not interfere with any of my other activities and my use of the Internet does not have any noticeable impact on Ignite TV.

So here is a question.  Does Ignite TV use some of the internet bandwidth you're paying for, does it have its own. Say your internet needs were modest and you had one  of the lower packages, like 75u or 10u, but liked to watch a lot of TV, would you need to upgrade to a high bandwidth package for Ignite TV?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The lowest package available with Ignite is 150U (150 mbps download, unlimited).  IgniteTV does use some of this when you're watching, but I believe it's about 10 mbps per stream, which allows for plenty left over for most people.

If you need more, you can always get 500 or 1000.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@-G- wrote:

So here is a question.  Does Ignite TV use some of the internet bandwidth you're paying for, does it have its own. Say your internet needs were modest and you had one  of the lower packages, like 75u or 10u, but liked to watch a lot of TV, would you need to upgrade to a high bandwidth package for Ignite TV?

Currently, Ignite TV is only offered as part of a bundle, which includes TV, unlimited Internet and Home Phone: https://www.rogers.com/ignitetv

When you sign up, you start off by selecting your base TV package (Starter, Select, Popular or Premier) and your Internet Speed (150Mbps, 500Mbps, 1Gbps) and whether or not you would also like Rogers to activate the phone service.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So then at least a 150Mbps internet package is required for Ignite TV and the TV uses part of that bandwidth.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I WISH I read this warning first.. 

My experience:
1. Rogers is phasing out cable and manipulated me into switching by posing Rogers ignite as a cable upgrade. It's no where close to as good as cable. 

2. Rogers social media division said the reviews of Ignite are great! I always could tell it was a canned answer. After some research I see MANY people are confused about why they are all of a sudden on Wifi Tv and say clearly that its not as good. If only I researched instead of trusting Rogers reps to send me an "upgrade." It looks like others were manipulated by Rogers as well. 

3. Anyone who bought cable for sports, like me, will never need Rogers Ignite. I can get TSN direct, DAZN and an Apple TV to stream to my hearts delight for way less. It never has been and will never be as good as a direct connection. I see all the angry customers warning others online. I have Rogers fastest wall to wall wifi and it still buffers.. as you would expect it to! I missed Mathews goal the other night because of it. 

4. I am very likely cancelling as not only will they not send back cable, but this inferior service is the same price! 

It's honestly unbelievable how manipulative this process was for me. All I wanted to do is cancel a channel and I end up with this whole new system that is nothing like how they described it. They never said it wasn't even cable! 

PS - I have the fastest wall-to-wall wifi according to them as well. 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Stephen2321  Strange as it may sound, I had the exact opposite experience.  I was a Digital TV customer years ago.  I had problems with pixellation and macroblocking on switched digital video channels, poor picture quality from excessive compression, set-top boxes that crashed constantly, and the Navigatr firmware was still new and its UI made for a horrible experience. When I exchanged a problematic PVR, I lost all of my recorded content.  Also, many of the channel-specific problems were regional and were confirmed by Rogers tech support agents.  I gave up trying to get these issues fixed and went back to Fibe TV.

By contrast, Ignite TV has been a smooth experience.  My Internet connection works well, my in-home network works well, and Ignite TV has been working well.  Yes, I see occasional glitches with the set-top boxes, there are aspects of the UI that I would have designed differently, and Rogers' IPTV encoders could do a much better job deinterlacing source signals.  However, most people who have seen Ignite TV in my home have no idea what I'm nitpicking about and became instant converts.  The "streaming" nature of Ignite TV also means that it can recover from small network glitches and still deliver a smooth glitch-free picture.

Ignite TV is different from Digital Cable but it can also be a very good experience.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well if I’m perfectly honest I don’t believe you. I have the fastest internet they have to offer and it’s still not close to cable. Especially watching sports. This sounds like another canned Rogers response while they try to force this lie down our throats and charge us the same.

Meanwhile Bell is installing cables in our building to make it better. I’m seriously considering switching to that right now. We can’t let Rogers get away with not only unethically “upgrading” me without exposing it’s a different service, but also trying to charge the same amount for it.

I never wanted this! They explicitly said it was a cable upgrade and I didn’t find out until they say it’s to late to switch back haha.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Stephen2321  I'm a paying Rogers customer but have a networking/telecom/IPTV (among other things) technical background.  I post here because I enjoy helping others.  I also wouldn't be using the service if it did not work for me.

I don't know what technical issues you are experiencing.  If you could provide some more information, we might be able to help you out.  FYI, I only have a 150Mb/s connection.

I've Been Here Awhile

That’s nice that you help people.

I was more posting to warn people because Rogers is manipulating customers into switching without explaining its an entirely different service. “Record tv, get unlimited data and use voice to switch the channel for no extra charge” laughter!

It’s basically like buying Apple TV. You get the same quality plus if you’re like me and watch sports can get DAZN and tsn direct. No one watches cable for the shows now. So basically you’re paying all this money for something that already exists for way less.

I’m going to make a video of the picture quality, but yeah there is no way this product offering makes sense. Even if you say you like it.