IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

@Gdkitty wrote:

I didnt say HAVE, i said could have.

Again, all depends on the setup.
My brother in law, they have Fibe.  Their main box which is wired works fine... but their other box in basement, always has problems.  (they own an ancient house.. so a ton of interference issues).

In the end, every person has to compare what is available to them, and what might work best.
(again, each way, can have bad setups, bad signal, bad techs).
For some its not so always simple either 😞
EG:  My area has been on the 'coming soon' list for fibe for almost 6 years.. and even the closest subdivision to us only gets a max 25mbps.  There really are not any other options sometimes for others 😞

I don't use wifi for anything beside ipads in the hose...and nest

all TV boxes and mac/pc's are hard wired.

No issue with internet so far..

its the TV that have issues/ its Rogers back end.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It may be a rogers infrastructure issue issue, yes.  Something causing overall internet issues in your area.
Even if hard wired on the Ignite boxes.. if the internet is an issue.. then could cause TV issues.

As I have stated before.. I am only saying this, due to myself NOT experiencing 9/10 of the issues that others are having.
Which means that the BACK END as a whole, is/should be working just fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

It may be a rogers infrastructure issue issue, yes.  Something causing overall internet issues in your area.
Even if hard wired on the Ignite boxes.. if the internet is an issue.. then could cause TV issues.

As I have stated before.. I am only saying this, due to myself NOT experiencing 9/10 of the issues that others are having.
Which means that the BACK END as a whole, is/should be working just fine.

The IPTV back-end infrastructure is distributed, so it's possible that one region could be experiencing issues that another is not.

@seadooxp30What kind of switch do you have between all of your wired devices and your XB6?  I would also try connecting at least one of the Xi6 (set top) boxes wirelessly to see if that makes any difference.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been monitoring this topic for awhile to see if Ignite has made any positive improvements.  I have had absolutely no interest in changing due to potential problems as listed, coupled with the fact that I too was informed of the rather "impossibility" of reverting back to digital.

I have always had impeccable internet service at my home, and currently have the Gigibit package for it so I assume that I have the most up to date modem as well (the white one lol).

My question simply is this:  Because I have such great internet experience (and I am very picky when it comes to speed, quality of streaming, etc), would that likely mean that I would have a more favorable Ignite experience since it all hinges on internet connectivity?  Will the addition of streaming to 2 tvs at times really impact my internet streaming / downloading / uploading?

Kev

I've Been Here Awhile

I had almost perfect connectivity before switching or ignite. I would ask if the infrastructure in your area has been upgraded, if not it is my understanding and experience that ignite suffers. Also if you live in a house they are now advising that the modems are not great (we could have told them that) and they are now offering at a cost “walk to wall”, which is basically a device that you plug in each floor to boost the signal. IMO that is a bandaid for their poorly constructed modem - I never required it before and was able to sit on my back deck and work - now I cannot (don’t have wall to wall yet), and they are going to charge extra for this. Hope this helps. You are correct they won’t move you back off ignite.
I'm a Senior Advisor

This from the peanut gallery.  (I'm on digital cable using SA8300 PVRs and my internet is not from Rogers. I have grandfathered VIP and even with only 2 tuners, I can record whatever I want using time shifted channels.)

What advantage do you see by going to Ignite TV, presuming everything works perfectly? In my case it would be a lot more expensive, how about you? Some of the early adopters here have had excellent tech support and good good luck. But now we see a lot of complaints as more customers switch and capable techs get scarcer. There is also controversy over the installation fee. Some get it waived, some get a discount and some don't. One obvious advantage with cloud recording is you don't ever have to worry about a power outage. But does the scheduling and playback have all the features your Nextbox 3.0 has? I know the NB3 dropped features SARA had, like precise to the minute recording time and frame-by-frame playback. Can you go to a Rogers store and try it out?

I should add that my ISP is switching to fibre and offering similar cloud-based TV. At this time I can't see getting a better deal than I have with Rogers VIP, but even if I could, I'd still want to see a live demo.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi OLDYELLR,

All I can say is that when the Ignite TV is working it's like nothing else available.  You speak to the controller to add shows to record or look for something to watch.  I thought this feature was a little silly but now that I've used it, it saves loads of time looking for your favorite show to record. You can look 2 weeks ahead and I think the picture quality is better than Digital TV.  But when the internet is acting up you will absolutely hate it.  No internet = no Google, No PVR, No home phone, No working apps on your smart tv/Android Box.  You get the point.  Plus it takes on average 4-5 days to get a tech to visit.  So enjoy your high data overages on your cell phone when you use it as a hotspot for your family who complains every 5 minutes that the internet is down.  But many of you are saying, "switch to an unlimited plan".  Great, just pay off the hundreds of dollars first that you owe on your phone, so you can have 10 GB's of data before the speed becomes so low you can barely check your emails.  But that's another story....lol.  Plus if you want to go back to regular internet and digital tv, you have to wait a day while Rogers changes the internet signal to your home.  As well you cant return Ignite TV boxes and modem to the store. You have to wait for the boxes they send you so you can ship everything back by UPS.  Which is another nightmare as UPS is awful to deal with.   So to conclude, if the internet is stable, it's a great service and you can negotiate a better price or free channels/boxes, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR

Before you switch, my advice is to try Ignite TV out in a Rogers store to see how you like it.  It is different and works differently than Digital TV.  (Sorry for the long post...  I'll start with my negative experiences with Digital TV and end on a more positive note with Ignite TV.)

I had been a Digital TV customer in the past and I've dropped the service twice.  The first time, I had 8300HD and 8640HD boxes running SARA.  You had to make sure that the signal levels to all outlets in the home were good and the TV had to be positioned in proximity to an outlet.  The picture quality (for years) was good and I liked that the channels could be sent to my TV in their native (1080i or 720p) formats.  On the negative side, On-Demand with the SARA firmware was very primitive and painful to use.  I also found that if I simply hit "Record", some part of the show (beginning or end) would get clipped.  If I adjusted the recording time so that it started 1 minute before/ended 1 minute after, I could get the entire program recorded.  However, if I needed to record two shows right after each other on the same channel, I couldn't just do that, and I had to record the second show on an "alternate" channel.  If the show started (or ended) at midnight, and I changed the start time but got the AM/PM wrong, the recording could either fill the disk and/or cause the PVR to become corrupt; some recordings would become unplayable, or other weird things would happen, and I would eventually end up having to reformat the PVR to get it back into a good state again.  When Rogers implemented switched digital video, I also got lots of glitches on some of my favourite channels that Rogers seemed unable to fix.  Fibe TV became available and I eventually switched to Bell.

A few years later, I ran into unfixable technical issues with Bell and switched back to Rogers.  I had 8640HD and NB3 boxes running Navigatr.  All the problems that I had before came back again.  The signal to my home and to all of my boxes was good but there was some problem in my area that Rogers just couldn't fix.  The channels also had a lot more compression applied and the picture quality was not as good as it used to be.  Navigatr was absolutely abysmal and full of bugs.  I also had some problematic set-top-boxes and it took a few tries exchanging rental boxes before I finally got one that worked okay.  After about six weeks, I got fed up and cancelled the service.

I've been back with Rogers for three months now and my experience with Ignite TV has been quite good.  No major issues whatsoever.  It's a different way of watching TV.  I use On Demand a lot more, and it's nice how you can go to a show in the Guide, look at all available episodes, and it will seamlessly show you upcoming episodes, display the episodes that you have recorded on the cloud PVR, other episodes available On Demand, and past episodes that are available on Netflix or Crave.  Initially, I thought that the Voice control was a bit gimmicky but you'll find yourself using it more and more.  It actually works well and, after you learn how to use it, you'll find many situations where it REALLY comes in handy.  The set top boxes connect through Wi-Fi, so you can place your TV anywhere... and the boxes themselves are tiny.  You don't have the problem of losing all of your recordings when your PVR fails.  You also don't have to worry about power failures or signal/hardware issues resulting in a glitchy or lost recording.

The biggest downside with Ignite TV is that if you start watching a show and (say 10 minutes in) you decide that you'd rather watch it later, you can hit record but those first 10 minutes won't get recorded.  Recording to the cloud PVR is not nearly as flexible as what you have now.  However, if you only need that flexibility to pad your recordings, Ignite TV can do that easily.  Recordings can also only be kept for 1 year before they get deleted automatically.  Biggest upside is that you can restart programs that are either in progress or that have recently aired.  Flex Channels are also nice; you can customize your channel line-up to better suite your interests.

I don't know if I've talked you into Ignite TV or talked you out of it.  If you have any questions, please ask.  All I can say is that my Ignite TV experience has (so far) been positive and I recommend it.  Every service, whether it's Ignite TV, Digital TV or a competitor's service, has its pros and cons.  You'll have to try them out for yourself and pick what works best for you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @pitfall21  and @-G-  for answers to questions people haven't asked.  Personally, Ignite TV is not for me because I'm not about to switch to Rogers now that my ISP is putting fibre into my subdivision.  But I'm sure this helps a lot of people.  Another point not mentioned is that with Ignite now being the featured product, support for digital cable will be dwindling. Already customers with Whole Home PVR systems are not getting the help they need.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR  - Best of luck with whatever option you decide to go with but I wouldn't rule out Ignite TV without at least giving it a try in the store.  It stacks up well against the competition and I'm happier with Ignite than I was with Fibe TV.