IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IGNITE TV vs CABLE/DIGITAL - IGNITE LOSES

I am informing you of my experience.
There are pros and cons to Ignite, as I have indicated.

To me, the bottom line is a better and cheaper service.

Yes, Ignite includes Internet, TV and home phone. All thru one modem and separate (very small) routers for each TV.

No clunky PVR that needs to be reset frequently.

We are very pleased with the audible remote that does many things not available with previous remote.

However, change is never without growing problems.
I have always enjoyed change and assisting in the improvements.

If you are expecting a perfect system, I suggest you wait as long as possible before upgrading.

If you decide to proceed now, go carefully and have the installer review all details with you before he/she leaves your home. Then you do a speed test before the installer leaves.
If you install Ignite 150, you should see at least 40mbps on computers and over 150mbps on phones and tablets.

If performance depreciates within days after installer leaves, contact billing (yes, billing) and ask that your service be tested remotely and, if not happy, request a technician return (as part of your install).

Notice, I haven't ventured into the fees you have or can expect with Ignite.
It is up to you to negotiate prior to agreeing to the install.
If you can't get all you expect (equivalent to current service items), for less than your current monthly cost, decline the Ignite install.

I Plan to Stick Around

VIP 300 channels premium 170 new ignite 120 with some sort of swapping deal every thirty days. (on premium)
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

What you have posted is the Internet (only) prices. What you need to click on is the Ignite Bundle package. If you don't need more than 150 mbps, there is no need to get it from an operational standpoint.

Looks like you need to do some more research.

@cwrbThanks for the info.  The bundle sounds interesting, but it doesn't look like the price ends at $149.99 with the Popular bundle. Smiley Happy

Ignite bundle.jpg

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Price is an issue and you can get packages around these price ranges for a whole home pvr and unlimited internet. 

TV

$95.95

Internet

$99.95

Home phone

$16.94

Residential services total

$212.84

The issue of a SMART TV has now entered the equation for my next TV.  It looks like you need an Ethernet cable to hook up to your TV to get internet and the apps. If you are pulling your programs and news off the internet with your TV, where is the future going on this TV/Internet issue?      

I've Been Around

I completely agree with this post. I initially called Rogers to cut back on my services to cut down and they ended up up-selling me on Ignite (my own foolishness i know).  I'm here to say Ignite is garbage and I'll be switching back to regular cable or switching to Bell if Rogers doesn't fix this.  The main culprit of my disappointment is the PVR functionality. . or the lack thereof.  Rewinding and fast forwarding is clumsy at best.  Often, if I'm fast forwarding through a commercial break, I will press play at what appears to be the end of the commercial break, but I find myself 2 minutes into the show. . . then I go to rewind to  get to end of the commercial break and then I'm at the beginning of the commercial break.  I end up just watching the commercials (defeats the whole purpose of the PVR), because I can't cue it up properly.   

PVR play back is unreliable. Often times there will be no audio or the playback is blurry - like it can't buffer properly OR the program will keep pausing.  Absolutely infuriating!!  Real time playing of shows can have these issues too (no audio and blurry images going in and out).  Other times the PVR doesn't record the show and gives you the On Demand option, which again defeats the whole purpose of the PVR.  

There are other little bugs that the system has that makes me wish I never got the Ignite.  I'm really surprised that Rogers would roll out this system in its current state.  

I've Been Here Awhile

DJN1, I assume you are connecting from your ignite modem to your TV box by WIFI. I understand the lag issue so I wonder if you connected the modem directly to to TV box with a Cat 6 cable if this would help. You should get the full speed of the fiber optics directly to your TV. Would this help or eliminate the lag? I do not have Ignite yet but I would be very interested in your response.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Is there a lower price if you don't get a phone line.  It is 2019 - I have no interest in having a landline.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@wayner92 wrote:

Is there a lower price if you don't get a phone line.  It is 2019 - I have no interest in having a landline.

About half the population still have landlines. I would suspect that Rogers motive for for having bundled "home phone" is to woo those people over. Even though "home phone" is not as reliable as a genuine hard wired landline. My landline works even when there's a power outage, which can't be said for Cable/Internet based home phone. A landline is also cheaper than most cellphone plans.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the current ignite modem doesnt have a battery.. (like the previous rogers home phone stand alone modem did),  the rogers home phone CAN (at least partially) work during a power outage.
Its all up to how/where your local node is, and if has a backup system there or not.
Mine has worked just fine during a power outage.
(And I usually have a UPS set up on my modem anyways, so it keeps up the LOCAL side for a while)

As for the discount.. 
Popular TV = 80 + ignite 150 internet $85 = $165
Ignite popular TV w/ 150 = $150

So right off the bat, of having internet & traditional cable TV with the current pacakges, you are already saving $15.
PLUS the home phone as well.
Its pretty much FREE in the end.

I've Been Around

I am also not happy with the ignite service.  I have yet to have a day where my service is not interrupted or completely down.  They have assured me that the issues are "at the highest level", I receive text messages saying, "there has been a delaying fixing the ignite TV problem, but we are working on it, sorry it's taking so long".  1.5 months later, and still waiting.  I wish I had not switched over.