How to turn tv and digital box off together

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How to turn tv and digital box off together

Thank you. I will see if there's an "auto brightness mode" but I don't think so. We have TV for quite a few years. I will pay attention to the condition of the room next time it happens.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Pauly wrote:

Hi frvanilla,

The "Watch Cable" button is a macro that basically is designed/programmed to press multiple keys on your remote in sequence.  When you press the "Watch Cable" button, you are invoking the Macro which will do the following 4 functions, it will press the "TV" mode button, then it will press the "Power" button, then it will press the "Cable" mode button, then it will press the "power" button, so it turns on your TV, then it turns on your cable box.  Now, the problem you are having is when you press it, the remote needs to beam the IR signal to both the TV and the Cable box at the same time, so if you are not pointing it directly at your  TV AND CABLE BOX, then it may only turn on 1 of the 2 devices.  Its like when you press a button on your remote but your not pointing it at the cable box, you have to re-try.    Also the cable box and TV may not be near each other depending on your setup, so if your box is on a stand on the floor, and your TV is mounted to the wall, then its possible the beam may not be reaching both devices, you need to aim your remote so it beams it to the TV's IR sensor AND the Rogers Netbox IR sensor as best as possible. if you continue to have such problems you might be able to re-locate the cable box closer, or you could ask one of the Rogers Employees on here (I"m not an employee, just a customer like you) to check if they sell them and if they have any availability for the product.

Hope this helps

Thank you to @Pauly, @57, and @OLDYELLR for your responses. I now see the sequence when I pressed the "Watch Cable" button. It goes Cable, Tv, Power.

The cable box is located next to the TV. I will check if there are other IR interference or if I was pointing away before the sequence completed.

Thank you very much for all your help!

I Plan to Stick Around

Posting bad links is not very helpful
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lsheen6212 : Are you talking about the link in post 18 from 3 years ago, or others in this thread that are even older?  Often old links go bad.  Is there anything you need help with?

I've Been Around

When my elderly parent attempts to turn the tv on, sometimes they’re synced, sometimes not, so then one is off and one is on...very confusing for seniors! Is there a way to just have the tv and the Rogers box always turn on and off together with ease?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the remote it programmed to do both of them.. it WILL do both of them if done properly.

The main issue is, that it takes a good few seconds to turn both off.
It takes a second or two to send the code to turn off the box, and another one or two to turn the tv off.

The big issue I think when they fall out of sync, is that people are moving the remote away too quickly.
They press the button, see one thing turn off and put the remote down, before it is turning both off. 

Have them try and and hold the remote longer for a second or two after they press the power and see if that helps.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cubeany wrote:
When my elderly parent attempts to turn the tv on, sometimes they’re synced, sometimes not, so then one is off and one is on...very confusing for seniors! Is there a way to just have the tv and the Rogers box always turn on and off together with ease?

This is a common problem, and not just for seniors. As @Gdkitty mentioned. the TV and box take a moment to react, so the remote must not be moved away quickly. Be patient. It helps to have the box positioned close to where the TV sensor is. I have family members who don't know and don't care and often have the PVR and TV out of sync and then turn either one on manually. I don't know which box you're talking about, but I have my PVR set up so it shows the time when it's on and a green dot when it's off. Also, some TVs show a pilot light when they're off, while some show one when on. I have both kinds. The easiest way to get them back in sync is to press the TV function button to switch the TV, then the CBL button to switch them together.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are several options.

1. Keep pointing the remote at the devices until they are both on/off. As stated in the posts above, this takes a few seconds. You can watch the remote as it performs these functions as the lights at the top of the remote will confirm the IR signals as they are sent.   

2. You can programme the remote to only turn the TV on/off leaving the box on all the time.  The box is in standby anyway when "off", so this doesn't use any additional power (unless it's a PVR, which it probably isnt').  You can download the operating manual from the following site to set up "master power" so that it only turns the TV on/off.   The only issue is that the box will turn off during a power failure, so you'll have to walk up to the box and press the power button manually after a power failure.  

https://www.urcsupport.com/

3. You can purchase a Harmony remote and program it to properly control all the equipment for them.  This will handle power, volume, input choices, etc.  This is especially useful if they have any other equipment they use.  If anything goes wrong you press the "help" button on the remote and all the appropriate signals are sent again.  If that doesn't fix it, the next step in the help phase asks you questions about the state of the devices and sends the appropriate IR signal depending on your response. The 6XX remote usually goes on sale for about $50 at Black Friday, Boxing Week, or several times a year if you watch for sales.  I suggest the model 650 or similar rather than the 350 which doesn't have a screen.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/harmony-universal-remotes

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats