How to turn tv and digital box off together

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to turn tv and digital box off together

Some remotes have the master power key programmed buy default, some don't.

It's not really the TV you have, the macro should be in all the remotes, however some times when a remote is replaced the newer one might have been reset at the factory and the macro got removed, it just needs to be re-entered.

I've Been Around

Is there a way to remove the master power so it does not turn the tv and the digital box off and on at the same time?? Our tv is broke and the tv needs to stay on and we just switched remotes and when I got it home it was automatically set to default using the master power and I cannot figure out how to take it off.

I want it to control the tv volume and the power just not at the same time as the digital box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Copied straight from the Rogers Atlas Remote user manual:

USING THE MASTER POWER KEY

The Atlas DVR/PVR 5-Device Universal Remote Control

has a unique feature that allows you to sequentially turn

on or off up to five of your home entertainment devices

with a single key press.

To Program The Master Power Key:

1. On the remote control, press and hold

SETUP

until the last-selected device key blinks twice,

then release

SETUP.

2. Enter

9 - 9 - 5.The last-selected device key

will blink twice. Then press

PWR once.

3. For the first device you want in the

power on

sequence,press a device key (e.g.,

CBL) once .

4. Repeat step 3 up to four more times to add the

second,third,fourth,and fifth device,as desired.

5. To save the settings and exit the program,press

and hold

SETUP until the last-selected device

key blinks twice, then release

SETUP.

To Operate The Master Power Key:

NOTE: If

MASTER POWER is not programmed, pressing it will only

command the last-selected device to power on or off.

1. After programming, point the remote control

at the devices.

2. Press and hold

PWR for at least 2 seconds.

You will see the devices power on or off

according to the programmed sequence.

To Clear The Master Power Key:

1. Perform steps 1 and 2 in the first section

above,

To Program The Master Power Key.

2. To clear the settings and exit the program,

press and hold

SETUP until the last-selected

device key blinks twice, then release

SETUP.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

1. Press and hold SETUP until the LED (red light) blinks twice, then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 5.The LED will blink twice. Then press POWER once.
3. Press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice, then release SETUP.

I Plan to Stick Around

I followed the instructions to the letter but still can't get the remote which came with my Nextbox to turn the cable box, TV and sound bar off at the same time while in cable mode. I have successfully programmed all the devices to respond but only when the remote is in the selected mode (TV, Audio, DVD etc.). It is rather annoying to have to switch back and forth just to turn everything on and off. The old cable box had an AC outlet for the TV and when you turned off the cable box the TV automatically turned off as well without the need for programming. Yes, I did read the instructions for this function. If these are the correct ones then I am at a loss to understand what's happening: http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/Atlas_OCAP_M1056.pdf

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i am aware, the remote will only do TWO devices all in one go.
To rogers box + tv or box + soundbar.

It allows programming of other devices into the other buttons, so you dont have to have multiple remotes out at once, but still have to manually turn them on/off.

I am guessing they started removing the power outlets from the box, as they were flakey and in my personal opinion dangerious.  My mom blew TWO TVs having them through the outlet that way

Really when you start getting into the realm of running multiple devices all in sucession, you really need to start getting into the realm of the HARMONY remotes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The rogers remote by default does turn on the Cable Box and TV with the power command by default but defaults CAN be changed. You can easily program the power on/off macro to control a third device like a sound bar, but it may or may not work or may not work reliabily, sometimes sound bars can turn on and off with the hdmi CEC signal from the TV set. its best to see if your sound bar supports this first, if so, try this way, if not, you can look up in the rogers remote about how to prorgam a macro, its basically the same thing as what the power on key does, it operates a macro, which is a set of key strokes in specific order.

I Plan to Stick Around

I found a way to solve this guys. The instructions I found on this site are more detailed and helpful than anything Rogers provided. The key thing is to wait a few seconds for the other devices to respond once you press the Master Power to turn the cable off (or on). In a couple of seconds the other devices will turn off (or on) in sequence thus saving me the irritation of juggling multiple remotes. Here is the link for those of you who may have experienced a similar problem:

http://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8160/~/programming-master-power-on-the-one-f...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats a good point and thanks for adding that it helped you a lot.

My grandparrents mostly, will often call that 'the TV is on but the rogers box isnt' or vice versa

This happens when they 'fall out of sync' so to speak. 

If you move the remote away from the devices to quickly, one may not turn on/off properly..

it takes a second or two for each remote function to happen.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Danno that makes sense. I used to have problems getting my PVR and TV out of synch because I didn't hold the remote pointed long enough and only switched one of them. It was worse when I had the PVR located further from the TV and I had to hold the button and pan from one to the other. The processors in TVs an PVRs are not very quick.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats