How to turn tv and digital box off together

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

How to turn tv and digital box off together

We have one TV that we can turn on and off using the Rogers remote.  Now we have a second TV with a second box and I can't remember what I did to make that in/off work.  With this second TV we have to use the TV remote to turn it on and off and then use the Rogers remote for everything else.  Not hard work but annoying.  Any help appreciated in advance.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: How to turn tv and digital box off together

i am just wondering how to turn both the digital box and my tv off at the same time

I'm a Trusted Advisor

In order to get your tv to turn off and on with the box You can plug your t.v into the digital box from behind. Every digital terminal has a small outlet in the back to plug your tv into. I have done that and once I turn off my pvr, my tv turns off. Same goes for on

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can also program your remote to control both the digital box and your TV (as well as other devices).

Instructions can be found here, depending on your remote device:

http://www.rogershelp.com/DigitalCable-Ontario/category.php?id=YV-18

If you have the 5-button remote, as is now common, the instructions for programming are found here:

http://www.rogershelp.com/DigitalCable-Ontario/article.php?id=YX-C5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

None of those links will help you. What you need is to look for a section in the Remote Manual called: To Program The Master Power Key.

I've pasted the steps below so please follow this carefully.

To Program The Master Power Key:
1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP
until the last-selected device key blinks twice,
then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 5.The last-selected device key
will blink twice. Then press PWR once.
3. For the first device you want in the power on
sequence,press a device key (e.g.,CBL) once .
4. Repeat step 3 up to four more times to add the
second,third,fourth,and fifth device (e.g., TV), as desired.
5. To save the settings and exit the program,press
and hold SETUP until the last-selected device
key blinks twice, then release SETUP.

To Operate The Master Power Key:
NOTE: If MASTER POWER is not programmed, pressing it will only
command the last-selected device to power on or off.
1. After programming, point the remote control
at the devices.
2. Press and hold PWR for at least 2 seconds.
You will see the devices power on or off
according to the programmed sequence

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix

Its not always possible to plug the TV into the switched outlet in the back of the Set Top Box, nor will it always work properly.

I have 3 reasons why it will not work for some people. The E940 STB does not have the switched power outlet, even though the menus has it, some people will assume the outlet on the back of the AC adaptor is switched however it is steady current, it is just a pass through so you can plug a lamp or something.

Secondly, some old TV's when switched off via the plug instead of the power button, will loose their memory, and when powered back on, will be on channel 2. not convenient if you have to constantly press CH+ on the TV every time you power on the STB.

Thirdly, most newer LCD's, Plazmas and flat screen panels use a Grounded 3 pin plug, which if you look at the STB, there is only a 2 prong outlet on the back, so it will not fit, and its not electrically advisable to tamper with the ground pin to make it fit, that is dangerous.

The best way is to follow the macro instructions I posted above.

Retired Moderator Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator

Hi AjayVee,

There is a great step-by-step process in our self help site http://rogersdiscover.com/cable-tv/. Click on the Learn about your Rogers remote control link and it will walk you through the set-up process.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Rogers_Kate

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

or you can just read my post here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

i provided very Clear instructions.

I Plan to Stick Around

I found the links posted by IHR to be very useful. Then again, some people think they know it all and are quite ready to put other people down! Shame!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@Pauly i have a 51 inch Samsung 3D plasma brand new & i have hooked it up on my PVR & yet it works. Yes sometimes with different T.Vs & all it will not work but some it does. The links works fine with the intructions they have.