How to turn tv and digital box off together

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How to turn tv and digital box off together

Check the info provided by myself and others and you can solve this programming issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

When going through the master power key programming for multiple devices do they devices e.g. cable, TV have to be on or off?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doesn't matter - you are programming the remote, not the device.  When properly programmed the remote will then turn both on or off. If they are out of sequence (one on, one off), then you'll need to get them both into the same "state" either by using the device remote or walking up to the device and turning it on/off.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi 57,

Thanks for your input. I finally got them in sync last night after many attempts with both devices off so I guess as you say it does not matter.  I am not sure why I had so much trouble because when they finally synced I had not programmed any differently from my other attempt.  I guess perseverance is the name of the game. Try, try again then try AGAIN!!! Anyway working for now so fingers crossed.

I've Been Here Awhile

Problem with "Watch Cable" button on remote (Ontario)

Hi, I recently got a new Nextbox 8600HD Terminal with a RF remote.

I paired the remote with my tv without problem. 7 out of 10 times when I press the "Watch Cable" button it turns on and off both my TV and HD box.

However 3 times out of 10, "Watch Cable" button will only turn on the tv, and I have to press the power button to turn on the HD box otherwise there's no signal. Or vice versa it only turns off the tv but not the box. What's the problem with the remote? 

Your help is appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sure you have made sure that the remote is pointed at the box & TV, to make sure its picking up the IR signal properly.

Its one of two things..

1) the remote is fubard.. and sending multiple commands.  You should be able to go to a rogers store and get a swap.  But you would have to pair the new one with the TV as well.

2) What are the conditions of the room its in?  Is it slightly darker, etc?
One thing that have seen with these boxes, especially with the newer TVs, is a thing called IR SPRAY.
As well as the basic IR receiver, there is an IR sensor which is sending out IR signals scanning the room to see how dark it is, to auto adjust the tv's brightness.  And can cause interference.
If the TV has an eco mode, or a auto brightness mode, try turning this off, and see if it improves.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi frvanilla,

The "Watch Cable" button is a macro that basically is designed/programmed to press multiple keys on your remote in sequence.  When you press the "Watch Cable" button, you are invoking the Macro which will do the following 4 functions, it will press the "TV" mode button, then it will press the "Power" button, then it will press the "Cable" mode button, then it will press the "power" button, so it turns on your TV, then it turns on your cable box.  Now, the problem you are having is when you press it, the remote needs to beam the IR signal to both the TV and the Cable box at the same time, so if you are not pointing it directly at your  TV AND CABLE BOX, then it may only turn on 1 of the 2 devices.  Its like when you press a button on your remote but your not pointing it at the cable box, you have to re-try.    Also the cable box and TV may not be near each other depending on your setup, so if your box is on a stand on the floor, and your TV is mounted to the wall, then its possible the beam may not be reaching both devices, you need to aim your remote so it beams it to the TV's IR sensor AND the Rogers Netbox IR sensor as best as possible. if you continue to have such problems you might be able to re-locate the cable box closer, or you could ask one of the Rogers Employees on here (I"m not an employee, just a customer like you) to check if they sell them and if they have any availability for the product.

Hope this helps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As alluded to in the posts above, there is a sequence of signals and it may take a few seconds for the entire sequence to complete.  Many people believe that remotes are "instantaneous" and stop pointing the remote at the respective devices after only say 1 second, yet it may take several seconds for all the commands to be sent.  If the remote is no longer pointed at the devices, one or the other device may not receive the on/off command.

Here's the link to the "IR Interference" mentioned earlier:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-l...

On the older IR remotes, you could watch the lights flash on the remote buttons as the signals are sent. I'm not sure if that happens with the RF remote, as I don't have one, nor do I want one.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The IR function is not disabled when the RF function is enabled. The RF will work even by accident. I keep all my remotes in my Lazyboy chair pocket and sometimes the RF enabled ones will do crazy stuff when a button is inadvertently "pressed", like pocket dialing a phone. IR only works when pointing the remote directly at the sensor., whereas RF works no matter where the remote is. That's why I've removed the batteries from my Samsung RF remote and i=only use my old IR one.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

As alluded to in the posts above, there is a sequence of signals and it may take a few seconds for the entire sequence to complete.  Many people believe that remotes are "instantaneous" and stop pointing the remote at the respective devices after only say 1 second, yet it may take several seconds for all the commands to be sent.  If the remote is no longer pointed at the devices, one or the other device may not receive the on/off command.

Here's the link to the "IR Interference" mentioned earlier:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-l...

On the older IR remotes, you could watch the lights flash on the remote buttons as the signals are sent. I'm not sure if that happens with the RF remote, as I don't have one, nor do I want one.

Exactly. This is especially important if the STB and TV sensors are not close together. I always keep the remote pointed until the command is executed. Otherwise the TV and STB can get out of sync and one will be on while the other is off.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario