How to turn off AutoHD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee Jeffrey
Rogers Employee

Re: How to turn off AutoHD

Hello JEL.

I am working with a few people to see if there is a way to fix this so that the non HD channels automatically display full screen. I will get back with an answer ASAP.

Rogers Employee Jeffrey
Rogers Employee

Hello,

I have a few steps for you to try out, this should take only 2 minutes to complete. If you are not comfortable doing this then please find a friend who can assist you.

1. Make sure the PVR is turned off and your TV is turned on
  2. On the PVR press the Guide & Info buttons at the same time. A screen will pop up on the TV
  3. Press A to start
  4. Press B for advanced settings
  5. Follow the onscreen directions to selet each format your TV is capable of displaying (Press select if you can see the picture then press B to move onto the next format and press select if you can see the picture etc...)
  6. Once completed and all formats are selected...
  7. Power on your PVR and try it out (Press power)

You should notice that many channels (2-99) & the guide are full screen again, your PVR is able to toggle picture formats now that it understands what formats your TV is capable of.

-Jeffrey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

be sure to set auto hdmi/dvi in the picture settings too...

--
I am NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the tips Jeffrey and Pauly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Picture size

This may be a solution for the poster who has problems with an SD set.  Mine is HD and I can use either the TV or PVR controls  to alter the picture size, minimizimg or eliminating the black stripes on all four sides.  Not that a bigger picture is necessarily better.  Gets pretty fuzzy.  I did try the procedure - I love this secret advanced stuff - but got no benefit I could see by having support for 720 or 480.  Leaving it at 1080i only seems to be the best alternative.

Incidentally, when doing a Copy to VCR (actually a DVD) a perfectly good HD picture gets shrunk down, with black borders on all sides.  (An SD picture is copied correctly.)  The DVD recorder isn't HD, so I certainly don't expect that, but I would have thought the picture wouldn't have been shrunken.  Not a big deal; I just record stuff occasionally for some senior relatives who would record their own but they "don't know how" and refuse to learn.  But you still gotta respect your elders.

I Plan to Stick Around

Where is this?

I've Been Around

I tried that... however... 

As soon as I got to  your  #3  'Press A  to start'

I got 'Congratulations Your Ready To Watch TV!'

And thats it.  

I never got anything about 'Advanced Settings'  or  any onscreen directions or format options    Nothing... You mentioned it would take 2 minutes to complete... 

When I did it... it didn't even last 2 seconds... and nothing changed.   I still have everything in HD FORMAT??

What am i doing wrong?  Any information on what I need to be doing  to turn off the AutoHD would be great!   

Thanks! 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

First of all, AutoHD cannot be turned off. If you wish to watch an SD channel, you can download a channel guide from Rogers: http://www.rogersautohd.com/#top All channels are available in SD - generally above channel 100.

After the firmware update, one of the (many) problems created was that people were seeing SD channels in a stretched mode. Another forum has a solution. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572

Go to settings and change your picture format to "fixed". Prior to the update, I had mine set on AUTO HDMI/DVI. After the update I noticed all SD channels were coming through in a full screen stretch mode. Changing my picture format to "fixed" has corrected this issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

Old posting but the problem has reappeared now that TLN is not available to HD viewers in SD.  Every channel that TLN appears on is HD for HD box owners (except TLNwest).  Because TLN stretches any 4:3 material to 16:9 on their HD channel there is no way to watch a 4:3 show as 4:3 if you have an HD box.  There is no "shrink" setting, only stretch settings.  Come on Rogers, give us TLN in SD somewhere.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I get TLN in HD and don't know where I'd find it in SD.

Are you saying you now only get it in SD, but your TV stretches the 4:3 picture to fit your 16:9 screen? That must be very annoying. I hate TV pictures with a distorted aspect ratio almost as much as people posting vertical videos.

What box or PVR do you have? Do you have it set up right? The # (Aspect) button on my Rogers remote will switch aspect ratios and picture size. In fact, when I watch recordings from BBC Canada, such as Top Gear, it's a smaller SD picture and I use the # button to zoom it to fill the screen without changing the aspect ratio. Your TV remote will also change the size and aspect ratio.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario