How to turn off AutoHD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to turn off AutoHD

I got an automated phone call on Fri telling me that effective immediately autoHD was enabled (without asking my permission).  This means that, when watching a show on a non-HD channel, if the same program is being shown in HD, that  signal will be substituted automatically.  Yeah, it works.  Didn't need it; I can figure out the HD channels in the 500's.

Now, how do I turn it off and get back to regular signals?  Why?  My PVR will record 40 hrs HD but 180 hrs regular.  If we go out of the country on vacation for a month, I'd like to record more than 40 hrs (which would be less than 1.5 hrs/day).

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How to turn off AutoHD

Wow I never even though of that issue when I first heard about this feature.. I bet Rogers didn't either...

As per their page it's not much help: http://rogersautohd.com/#4

Also check out #9 : http://rogersautohd.com/#9

The other option would be to upgrade your Harddrive in the pvr. You can upgrade the internal one to 1TB which is 6.25 times larger that the supplied 160GB HDD in the 8300HD. You can also attach an external esata drive up to 1TB in size. If you do both you will have 12.5 times the recording capacity.. Then we you get back you can enjoy all the HD goodness with probably around 500hrs of recorded TV 🙂

If you need more info on how to do this just ask.
I Plan to Stick Around

> Also check out #9 : http://rogersautohd.com/#9

Useless.  Clicking on "Click here" to see the listing just takes you back to the top of the page.

> The other option would be to upgrade your Harddrive in the pvr

Sure.  Spend money to fix an imposed "improvement" I didn't want or need and wasn't consulted about.

However, I did manage to find a channel listing which seems to indicate that the 100 series channels will be left alone as SD.  Seems to me it would have been more logical to leave the low numbers as SD, and I can't think of any reason for doing this in the first place except to give the appearance of giving you something, but anyway... I haven't yet tried out whether this is true, but if it is, my problem is solved.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I don''t understand why it's always so hard to actually find out anything useful on the Rogers site.  Well, I do, kinda... effective monopoly on a near-necessity.

I'm a Senior Advisor

My only guess for doing it on the lower channels is because those are the channels people still use. I so many times go to a friends or relatives house and see a nice new HDTV and they are still watching the SD channels.. So many times I see people watching SD channels in stretch mode.. This is just Rogers way of showing people what their TV should look like.

I can see how this is an inconvenience to someone wanting to record low def to be able to record more. But for the most part I can't see an issue getting people the best quality picture and sound option for them. 

Should there be a setting for on and off? Yes for sure. In this day an age there should be an on and off for everything.. Maybe I want to turn off beeps because bad words don't offend me.. Maybe I want to turn off all channels I don't pay for so I don't see them in the guide.. All viable options, just gotta wait until we can get them..

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hey JEL,

Your PVR has the ability to record a specific channel in SD even with AutoHD turned on. All you need to do is check your PVR settings. There should be an option to record in SD for your channel.

I will see if I can get a mini guide up to guide you directly on how to accomplish this. With some digging around though you should be able to find it.

I Plan to Stick Around

> just gotta wait until we can get them..

Right.  Well, the recent firmware upgrade is a great leap forward, or it will be once Rogers gets around to debugging it.  Rogers is now solidly in the mid-1990's.  I hope to live long enough to see them reach the 21st century.

I Plan to Stick Around

> I will see if I can get a mini guide up to guide you directly on how to accomplish this. With some digging around though you should be able to find it.

It seems absurd that a customer should have to "dig around" to find such an option.  Surely it should be a simple Settings option.  If indeed the 100's chsnnels will remain SD, that should satisfactorily address these concerns.  But an alternative would be much appreciated.

I've Been Around

Yes, I'd really like to know how to turn this off. How annoying! For the first time ever my PVR was filled in two days. I am not going to put out anymore money as I didn't change things, they did.  I really hate this change.

I'm a Senior Contributor

To continue watching or recording TV shows in SD rather than HD, you simply change your PVR settings to record the SD version of the channel (normally within the 100's).

For example,

If you wished to record CTV in Toronto in SD, normally you would tune your PVR to channel 7 to record. Now, AutoHD will record that in HD. To fix this, change your PVR settings to record channel 133 instead, the SD version of the channel.

To find out the SD channels for your area, check Rogers Channel Listings. On the right hand side, select your city (should already be defaulted to Ontario) within the "Channels Available with a digital box" and find the channel you are looking for. To save time, you can hit Control + "F" to do a quick find for your channel. Hitting "next" will find all the channel numbers for your channel (SD within 1-99, SD in the 100's, and HD in the 500s).

Hopefully this helps. If you need any further clarification let me know.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I'd gleaned.  Nice to know i wasn't missing something, however.  Thank you.

No way this should have been sprung suddenly on customers.  They should have announced it a month or two in advance (Coming soon!  Our Xmas present to you!!  yada-yada) along with an explanation of the ramifications and how to avoid them if desired.  Normally I'd be in Florida at this time.  I'd be really ticked off to return next month to find some programs in HD, at the expense of missing a bunch altogether.