How to skip un-subscribed channels?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to skip un-subscribed channels?

Maybe thats why?

I did check, and yes mine they are a different color.. VERY little, but it is there (white vs grey).

Though at min, that is something they should fix for the modern HD theme then.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I tried switching the theme to Classic Modern HD and still can't see a difference. Maybe I'm looking in a  wrong place (Channels setup ---> Hide Channels)? Also it's very slow, take forever to simply get to 400s-500s...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe we are getting our signals crossed on what/where.

In your original post, i thought you had said, you had NO WAY of knowing which ones were available or not, unless you went to each one and saw the message pop up.

On mine.. if you browse through the guide..  it will show all the channels that i DO have in white.  The ones i DONT have, are in a grey text.
Now, i can still browse over them just like a normal channel, show the info, etc.  It doesnt skip them.

This could be used to identify the channels, without having to actualy GO onto each one to see if the message pops up.

You would still have to manualy hide them, etc.

Hopefuly that clears up the confusion?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

And what happens when you loose power and your settings? Do you have to do it all again?

Steve
I've Been Around

Loosing power should not affect these settings.

This is a Rogers forum, yet they are not providing any feedback or response to this. I like to channel surf (channel up/down) and find this very annoying. In the old software you would automatically skip channels you don't subscribe to. I want to this basic functionality back. It was the very first thing I noticed when I got upgraded and still the most annoying "new feature".  I did hide the channels I don't want to see (a nice feature), but what if they come on free preview? I won't know!

Also, when hiding channels, I can't manually tune to them. Come on Rogers, this is basic functionality here!

I've Been Around

On my TV, the only place where there is a viewable difference between channels I'm subscribed to and those I'm not is on the "Quick Start" Menu (although I have yet to see what is quicker about it - but that's for another post).  In the guide (which I believe is what jgloving is referring to), there is not viewable difference between the two.

I use the "golf course" SD scheme but I checked a couple of others with the same result.  Obviously I can't speak for the HD schemes, but I suspect it's the same.

I too would love to have the option where the guide would list only the channels to which I'm subscribed (blocking them doesn't seem to remove them from the guide either).  It wouldn't be difficult to do technically - how about it, Rogers??

I Plan to Stick Around

@wisebackside I believe the original post is refering to the new enhanced guide that when channeling up, tunes to all channels even unsubscribed channels.  The only way to tell if you get that channel is to use the guide where there is a distinction in colour grey or white determining if it is a subscribed channel or not.   

The old guide had no distinction between subscribed and unsubscribed channels but would skip channels when channeling up or down.   

I hope there will be an update to allow skipping unsubscribed channels...so for favouriting channels or using the guide seems to be the only way.     

**edited for content**

Rogers Employee Toff
Rogers Employee

I think there might be some confusion on what the OP is asking/requesting.  On the original guide that Rogers provides the color coding option is there where it automatically filters out what channels you are (and not) subscribed to.  There's no colour coding feature on the new enhanced guide however that is available only for the NextBox terminals with an opt-in process.  

What the OP is asking is in regards to skipping channels.  On the original guide if say you're subscribed to channel 3 but not channel 4 (just as an example) it will skip to channel 5 when you press CH+.  With the new enhanced guide it doesn't filter it out, it's pretty much a functionality issue in terms of a code needing to be programmed to recognize that which I expect would be included on a future update.

In the interim however, you can filter this out by going into Settings > Parental Control  > Blocked Channels

From there select the channels you want blocked by pressing the OK/Select button and a lock will appear beside the channel.  By following this method, it will skip over any blocked channels you have listed there.  Rather than scroll through the channel list individually you can also type in the channel number once you're in the menu for easier access. 

I know it's tedious but currently this is the only available option.  Hope my advice helped though. Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

@Toff wrote:

I think there might be some confusion on what the OP is asking/requesting.  On the original guide that Rogers provides the color coding option is there where it automatically filters out what channels you are (and not) subscribed to.  There's no colour coding feature on the new enhanced guide however that is available only for the NextBox terminals with an opt-in process.  

What the OP is asking is in regards to skipping channels.  On the original guide if say you're subscribed to channel 3 but not channel 4 (just as an example) it will skip to channel 5 when you press CH+.  With the new enhanced guide it doesn't filter it out, it's pretty much a functionality issue in terms of a code needing to be programmed to recognize that which I expect would be included on a future update.

In the interim however, you can filter this out by going into Settings > Parental Control  > Blocked Channels

From there select the channels you want blocked by pressing the OK/Select button and a lock will appear beside the channel.  By following this method, it will skip over any blocked channels you have listed there.  Rather than scroll through the channel list individually you can also type in the channel number once you're in the menu for easier access. 

I know it's tedious but currently this is the only available option.  Hope my advice helped though. Smiley Happy

I have the old IPG.  When pressing CH+/- etc., unsubscribed channels (or any other channels) are not skipped.  I have blocked out  (via settings->Block Channel) various channels and these are not skipped either. I still have to scroll through (either via the guide or just channel surfing) the miriad of unsubscribed and unwanted (i.e. 6 religion stns, 6 local stations, 10 different channels for the same ROD service, 50 multi-cultural stns, 200 sports stns, 30 music/radio only stns, etc.) channels.  What a PITA!

Surely, this could be fixed?  Is there any other setting I'm missing?

I've Been Around

Any update on when the programming to skip un-subscribed channels will be ready?