How to show NextBox Cable output to 2 TVs?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How to show NextBox Cable output to 2 TVs?

Hi,

I often have many kids in my house and want to show the same channel on two TVs at the same time. I have an AstroAI 4K splitter (link), but nothing shows in either one of the TV. Any ideas what could the problem be?

Setup:

- The HDMI cable from the NetBox is connected to the wall HDMI input.

- The HDMI input jack has an HDMI cable that goes to another output jack where the TV is.

- If I plug in the HDMI cable from the TV to the Output jack, everything works fine, but if I put a splitter in between the Output and TV, then nothing happens.

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Re: How to show NextBox Cable output to 2 TVs?

Hello @xxxccc,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

With lots of kids in the house, I can understand how handy it would be to be able to split the cable signal from one box to two TVs. While I am not familiar with how this can be done you've reached the right place for support!

Perhaps @57 would have some insight on how this can be done. If anyone else in the community is familiar with how this can be done feel free to chime in!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@xxxccc : Questions/Comments follow:

1. What signal are you trying to send to the TVs?  The splitter is only good to HDMI v1.4, therefore not 4K compatible, only up to 1080P.

2. What lengths are the various HDMI cables and what gauge are they?  Most signal will only go up to say 10 feet using 28 gauge. In order to go further, you typically need to use a larger gauge, say 24 or 22.  Or you can use something like Redmere technology for the HDMI cables.

3. These inexpensive splitters may work in undemanding applications, like short runs, no in-wall cabling, etc, but may not work with more demanding applications.

4. What happens if you use two relatively short HDMI cables with the splitter in between, (directly) from the STB to a single TV?

5. Another option would be an AVR that has 2 HDMI outputs that are compatible with the signal you wish to send, however, those aren't usually cheap.

6.  You might be better off getting another STB for the second location. This would also allow you to watch different programming, rather than the same channel.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your response.

1. The Netbox is sending 4k signal. The Splitter that I'm using is also 4k. The description of the splitter says, "Splitter distributes 1 4K HDMI input into 2 corresponding synchronized outputs with an advanced chip that can analyze and process up to 225 MHz."

2. HDMI cable from the splitter to the TV is 1' long.

3. With the exact same HDMI cables setup minus the splitter, the TV works fine. But if I put the splitter in between then it stops working for any of the TVs.

4. I can try that, but the cables are already very short as it is.

5. Not sure what AVR is.

6. I don't really need another box. My purpose is to be able to show the same channel on both TVs. I have no need to view two different channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1a.  See the following link regarding HDMI versions.  1.4 is very limited in regards to 4K. Usually you need HDMI 2.0 at least to be safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

1b.  Try setting the output of the STB to 1080P instead of 4K.  If it works then, the splitter is not compatible with the 4K signal from the STB.

5. Audio Video Receiver.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How to show NextBox Cable output to 2 TVs? HELP!

That's a good idea! I will try 1080 to see if that works. If not, then there must be something else that's going on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57Do you think it might possibly be something like an HDCP issue

That the spliter is not allowing the signal through?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty : It's possible, but, based on the wiki link from earlier, it shouldn't be an issue beyond HDMI 1.2, because those devices should be compliant.