How to record 30 minutes of a show

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to record 30 minutes of a show

Hi and thanks for this opportunity!

Is there any way to just record 30 minutes of a show? That's all I want of it.

Is there any way to have information show while watching a recording - it always stops the recording.

Can I see my recorded programs in a list not icons?

Is there a danger of filling the % too high? Does it ever wipe out show memory?

Is there a "record to deck" option like there used to be?

Thanks googols!

Teo

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to record 30 minutes of a show

@Teo4 wrote:

Hi and thanks for this opportunity!

Is there any way to just record 30 minutes of a show? That's all I want of it.

Is there any way to have information show while watching a recording - it always stops the recording.

Can I see my recorded programs in a list not icons?

Is there a danger of filling the % too high? Does it ever wipe out show memory?

Is there a "record to deck" option like there used to be?

Thanks googols!

Teo

1) that i know of.. for just 30 mins of it? No.  There used to be a 100% manual option where you could set channel and exact start/stop time.. but its gone now.  really can only record the whole timeslot (1hr, or whatever) and then FF through it, etc 

2) the info as to what its about, etc? With the current one no, it stops it.  The previous guide didnt.  It one thing people have asked for to come back.

3) List?  No 😞  This is the BIGEST request to have reverted on the new guide.

4) Danger? No, not per say.  When you record thing, there are usually options.. Until i erase, or as needed.  IF it starts getting full and things are set to as needed it will remove the OLDEST ones to make room for the newest. If they are all set on until i erase.. it will just not be able to record anymore.
Some users have experienced some other more performance issues when the unit is above 80% full as well.

5) Record to deck? as in to be able to output it to record the stuff via other means? (vcr, etc?)
No.  Only the much older SA boxes had the specific output and function for it.
until recently, you could cheat it and just record while playing back through the regular video outputs on the most current ones.
But that did change recently.  Many people are not away, but with many 'broadcasts' there is or can be a 'record once' type of DRM.  Its actually been around for MANY MANY years.. and but often rarely enforced. (only time you really often would see when trying to record a store bought tape to another, etc).  This appears to be enabled now.. and since its recorded ONCE already to the PVR.. you cant record it while on playback from the PVR.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Teo4: Let me confirm what Gdkitty said above and add some additional comments.

1. There is no way currently to record a portion of a programme.  This used to be possible with the manual recording option of RTN, however, it's not available on Navigatr.

2. Pressing the "Info" button stops playing a recording.  Hit "exit" to get back to your recording.  This is just one of many issues - see links below:

3. No, the list is no longer available on Navigatr.  You can see lists if you utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", or one of the Tablet or Phone Apps to access your PVR.

4. As mentioned by Gdkitty, you should not let your PVR get too full since you may encounter issues with recording, sluggishness, etc.  80% is probably an upper limit. I usually keep mine below 50%.

5. There is no "Copy to VCR" feature any more. As mentioned in the previous post, Navigatr is now honouring the CGMS-A (Copy protection) signals.  If you wish to record to another device, you cannot first record onto your PVR, due to the "copy once" flag on all programming. You need to tune to the appropriate channel on the PVR and have the DVD recorder or VCR start recording at the appropriate time without recording on the PVR itself first. 

Here are some useful links that should save you hours of frustration:

How To Navigatr:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

List of Navigatr Issues:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

How To CC:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Reeeally nice of you both Good-Kitty & 57 for your amazing prompt and helpful replies!

57, point 5, GoodKitty (I can only see this 1 topic but you mentioned DRM) so..

They're "honoring," some bad idea that I can't copy what's on my screen that I paid big money for, and cable that I'm paying through the roof for, unless I stop my life, quit work to come home and not answer the phone or door and stare at the show when it's on to copy it?

This is why when I was copying the latest news about tragedies I won't mention because they are gruesome, important to know about, for very important reasons, the news channel brightness goes in and out? Great.

Is there some logical reason I can's copy a part of critical news to watch later and help save lives? There'll be a warning of what to do and I won't be able to record it for my family.

More cruelly, it has a 1-time-copy built in? I'm dropping Rogers, all cable and anything at all that has a DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN VIRUS/BUG/HACK like that.. "honored!"

See, I create content and all I can see is someone headed to a very important presentation, like a 20 billion dollar investor's meeting, and all of a sudden it all stops and says: "Copy protection error!" The guy'll lose the 20 billion dollars, his house, job, family, reputation.. thanks a lot to creeps for ruining his day! I can't believe what a cruel illegally mean and nasty trap that is.. wow!

If I EVER EVER EVER have any of my content on any channel or business with a 1-time-copy clause, somone please stop me. Are we supposed to agree with, "honor" bad government ideas that set up unfair policies THAT THE CROOKS EASILY GET AROUND!

OK sorry for getting that off of my chest.. but hey? Simply scroll past the rant and rave.

I can hardly believe anyone "honoring" some bad policy that will let the crooks have what we honest people pay for and have paid for for so many years.

I wish we were back with antennae and 3 channels, much better TV programs and no one would say you can't have what comes on your TV. Boy! I can see major important transportation, financial market databases and information sources not working because of these kinds of disaster-built-in copy protection stupidity.. it's truly not safe! Stop it whoever made that total mistake policy! Don't risk all of our health and safety please! PLEASE!

Back to you 2, you have REALLY helped me see that others wish these features were still in there, I guess that's what they call "upgrade," it is easier for infants to use - all big icons and simplistic operation - but a misery for us who actually have paid all these years, and now we don't have 1/2 of the features we used to.  😞

It looks nice though! I also don't blame any of you providing my services, I'm not a dummy and want you to like me so I'm not blaming YOU, just offering suggestions you can pass along so that you seem really smart, aware, valuing your customers and safety of products we use. I will trust when I have my huge budgeting meeting there will be no 1-time-copy error disaster in my presentation, thanks!

Happy camper,

Teo

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Did you look some app from app store or play store?