How to reassure buyers that my NextBox will work with Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How to reassure buyers that my NextBox will work with Rogers

Hi, I am wondering how I can assure potential buyers that my used NextBoxes will work. Some are asking me for the serial numbers up front but I fear those may just be scammers. Is there any other option out there?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: How to reassure buyers that my NextBox will work with Rogers

Hello @Lucster01

I have sold a few NextBox cable boxes and bought a few from online Facebook Kijiji pages and Kijiji as well. Asking for the serial number won't do much for them. They want to get the serial number and contact Rogers to make sure that the cable box is not a damage one and is not on a cable account. Some people sell cable boxes but never removed the serial number from the accounts which makes a huge headache and issues for the buyer later on when they try to add the serial number on their account.

Call Rogers and have them place a note on the account saying that the serial number will he removed once the box has been sold and or some may be calling into Rogers to check the serial number out to make sure the box is not tied to any account.

I have given the serial numbers out and nothing has happened. You will be fine Smiley Happy.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks @Meowmix

Good to know.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Lucster01

You are welcome! When I first did it I had my doubts as well and was scared that they would scam me but after speaking to some Rogers tech agents and others that sell boxes and such, the buyers want to verify that the S/N isn't attached to a cable account and the box is clean. If they verify that, then they will for sure go with the purchase of the box as per the price shown. Smiley Happy.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lucster01:

Here are the steps that a buyer must go through, so as a seller, you need to assist with those steps if you wish to sell your box(es).

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system (as a third-party STB) and is allowed by Rogers. Have the seller show the STB in operation if possible. This is especially important if it's a PVR because the iHDD could be bad. If they can't demo, then the price should reflect that.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues - there must be some difference between the "check" and the "activate" steps in Rogers' computer system). Sometimes, if you call to activate, and the CSR says the box has not been deactivated, if you know the seller has made the call, if you insist that it has been deactivated, the CSR will often activate the STB without another call by the seller.

6. You cannot use a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB (if in Ontario)

7. In the event you wish to incorporate the STB into a WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) setup, a truck roll (service call) will likely be required.

8. Sometimes we get questions about "moving" a STB from one subscriber to another without calling Rogers. This is against the Terms of Service with Rogers, they can find out (monitoring location), and both people could be in trouble with Rogers.

9. Note that there are some smaller Rogers areas in Ontario that utilize Motorola STBs. In those cases you need to purchase the correct Motorola STB(s) and it doesn't have to be a Rogers box, but beware of scam sellers. You cannot use SA/Cisco in a Motorola area, or vice versa.

10. If the seller is not a "customer in good standing" (bills all paid, etc.), then Rogers may have a lien against the STB, so calling Rogers before purchase, as discussed in point one, is very important.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just to close the loop, Rogers messaged me the following about serial numbers: "If they have the serial numbers, they can add them to their account but that would only make sense if they have the boxes in their possession. Personally, I would stay away from giving out the serial numbers."

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Lucster01

Rogers will always say that. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way though as the serial number yes can be added to someone's account but it's useless for them.
I've Been Here Awhile

Purchasing a Nextbox 3.0

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to purchase a Nextbox 3.0 from someone, are there any fees after I purchase the box to have it on my account?

Thank you!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @nicholas1520

There are no fees to have the box activated on your account. However there is no warranty on the box. So if any anything happens, they can not replace it for you or fix it.

Also before making a purchase, get the serial number and call Rogers to make sure its not still attached on someone's Rogers account.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nicholas1520:  Check out the points in post 5 of this thread and make sure you tick all the boxes. As mentioned by @Meowmix , there are no "fees".