How to control one device not the other

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

How to control one device not the other

When the analog service was discontinued I was given a free DTA50 so that I can continue to use my Sony DVD recorder which is HDMIed to the TV. I just got fed up...

Due to proximity (TV & DVR) controlling the Rogers boxes (Explorer4250HD & DTA50 respectively) is next to impossible. The same IR frequency is used for both remotes and one controls the other, or vice versa, making recording a challenge. This is either a design flaw or Rogers wanted it that way. So the question is: is there a way to alter the frequency used by the DTA50 + its controller? What other solution can you suggest?

*** Edited Labels ***

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: How to control one device not the other

Hey @z-,

I want to get some clarification, you have both TV boxes for same TV? How is your set up?

The remote frequencies / IR codes are set by the manufacture respectively.

@Gdkitty would you be able to chime in on this? 🙂

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can have one STB off and one on, when you want to control the "off" STB, turn it on and the other will turn off - you only need one remote to control both. This doesn't work if you want both on at the same time, as the STBs use the same IR frequency.  Note that you would need to set up the STB so that it doesn't turn on to any key, but only to the Power Key - typically under settings.

You could cover the IR sensor on one STB then uncover it when needed.

You may be able to put an "interference cover" on the STBs, far enough apart so that the remote has to be pointed directly at it for it to work.

You can get a programmable remote that uses RF, which would send the signals to the desired STB via an extender.

You can get an "IR extender" kit or "IR Repeater" kit and use the emitters to cover the IR "eye" on the STBs. These kits are typically available for around $25 or less on the web.  You would then point the remote at the "eye" for the extender, which could be placed so that you don't get "crosstalk".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/48693-two-set-top-boxes-same-room.html#post4...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@z- wrote:

When the analog service was discontinued I was given a free DTA50 so that I can continue to use my Sony DVD recorder which is HDMIed to the TV. I just got fed up...

Due to proximity (TV & DVR) controlling the Rogers boxes (Explorer4250HD & DTA50 respectively) is next to impossible. The same IR frequency is used for both remotes and one controls the other, or vice versa, making recording a challenge. This is either a design flaw or Rogers wanted it that way. So the question is: is there a way to alter the frequency used by the DTA50 + its controller? What other solution can you suggest?

*** Edited Labels ***

Are you using the 4250HD & DTA50 on the same TV.

If you are, Why?

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersShakir wrote:

I want to get some clarification, you have both TV boxes for same TV? How is your set up?

The DVR was and is connected to the TV with HDMI. The 4250HD was and is connected to the TV with HDMI. Originally, in the analog times, the incable was split between 4250HD  and DVR. With the advent of digital signal a DTA50 was required to be spliced in before the DVR.

Reading the other responses, shielding seems to be the most economical solution. Once the DTA50 is tuned to the required station and DVR is set, a beautiful stainless steel mixing bowl will form the IR barrier... Too bad that the manufacturer was not told by Rogers to set different IR frequencies for these devices? 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@z- wrote:

@RogersShakir wrote:

The DVR was and is connected to the TV with HDMI. The 4250HD was and is connected to the TV with HDMI. Originally, in the analog times, the incable was split between 4250HD  and DVR. With the advent of digital signal a DTA50 was required to be spliced in before the DVR.

Reading the other responses, shielding seems to be the most economical solution. Once the DTA50 is tuned to the required station and DVR is set, a beautiful stainless steel mixing bowl will form the IR barrier... Too bad that the manufacturer was not told by Rogers to set different IR frequencies for these devices? 

OK, I see what you are doing.

Isn't the DTA50 standard definition?

Why not replace both boxes with an HD PVR?

I Plan to Stick Around

@mfait wrote:

Why not replace both boxes with an HD PVR?

Would that solve the IR headache?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, since you'd only have one item to control. Plus you'd be recording in HD instead of SD.  You should not consider an HDPVR an archiving device though, rather a timeshifting device.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

Yes, since you'd only have one item to control. Plus you'd be recording in HD instead of SD.  You should not consider an HDPVR an archiving device though, rather a timeshifting device.

The crucial point is: "archiving device". Granted, most of the recordings are temporary in nature and could even be timeshifted. Hmm, I may run this idea past the Boss... she is the main consumer, I'm the (seemingly inefficient) facilitator only.... 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is my answer to the OP's question.

You CAN get away with having only ONE BOX that will allow both TV Watching, and Recording programs to your DVR, BUT if you hook it up this way, and you decide to record a show, you will have to leave the box on that channel and watch what you are recording, basically the tuner is giving the signal to both your TV set and DVR recorder, so if u change channels, it will record the channel changes, yes I know its a flaw in this approach but thats why I suggested it incase you want to try.

If you want to record one channel and watch another, you might be better off purchasing a new/used HDPVR or renting one from Rogers. It is very flexible, but the recordings are not permanent, and still would need to be archived to a DVD or some other source (providing the copyright flag allows you)

Another point to mention, you can not record HD with a consumer DVR, not to my knowledge atleast. I'll bet you the op's DVR has only composite inputs, I have yet to see a DVR with Analog HD component inputs.