How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

Personally, I've never run across copy protection (with the SA 8300 and Magnavox CMWR10D6 DVR) on any recorded shows. I thought copy protetion was only used on commercial DVDs and VHS tapes, not TV shows. Recording a show on a PVR is already copying. However, on doing some searching, I'm learning that some DVD recorders recognize copy protection and some don't.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

So list of DVD recorders that don't recognize copy protection AND be good qualit,. and that would be best in the martket lol (Thought most people now buy Blu-ray players that are backward compatible no?
I'm a Senior Advisor

Since PVRs became common for cable and satellite, the availability of DVD recorders started to shrink. There weren't many to choose from back when I got mine seven years ago, before I had a PVR. Just checked Walmart and they don't have any, only Blueray players. I see Bestbuy still shows them, but sold out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The last DVD recorder i saw.. was at 2001audio video about a year ago.. and it was the SAME model i bought, almost 2 years prior... tech for it really hasnt changed..
I originally got it, for converting some VHS to DVD.

Then my VCR died.... has issues at the time finding a VCR, even at walmart, etc Smiley Sad

At that time, found a VCR to USB unit at Radioshack...
Detects as a USB device.. and allows playback and then recording pretty much like a tv capture card.. right into the PC.
havent used my DVD recorder since.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried to record an HBO show once and my dvd player gave a copy error and wouldnt let me. Its an lg recorder but i did record a lot of stuff like news, soaps, talk shows with it

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

@Gdkitty, I actually use the VHS to USB device as well! I ordered it from somewhere online a while ago. Worked really well in converting all my old VHS to digital format saved on my computer Smiley Happy 

Rogers Employee

Random and Side Note:
I have a Cassette and Record to MP3 Converter. I haven't even opened the box yes but haha it was funny, my mother gave me a box full of cassettes to convert... -__-" I should have not told her I bought this, added more work for myself lol
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTiburon, here's a tip. If you own a music LP or cassette (that's not rare), you should feel no guilt downloading it in MP3 format rather than going through the laborious process of converting it. I only had to do that with some rare obscure bluegrass LPs I have.

Rogers Employee

Oh its not about downloads and copy right issue. Believe me, young generations barely give any importance to that lol

It's Pakistani music - Rockbands, Poets, and mix tapes.

Not something you can easily download in good quality (or at all). So that's not an issue. The cassettes are also in amazing quality... so before it dies out. I rather convert it... makes my mom happy. so why not.

(I just gave away that I am Pakistani on the net, oh noes! haha joking)

Edit: Tagging you @OLDYELLR

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

(I just gave away that I am Pakistani on the net, oh noes! haha joking)

We probably would have guessed anyway, from all the tech solutions you've been posting! Smiley LOL